Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Toyota dealer apocalypse

Quote Originally Posted by 37th Mass View Post
    A month ago I saw on the Ford website that an F-150 with the options and color that I wanted was inbound to my local dealer. I went in that day, negotiated a good price and put down a deposit. They expected the truck in by the end of March. They called me two weeks later and said that it was showing as due in mid-February. Yesterday they said that the truck was built and sitting on a lot by the factory, waiting on a missing microchip before it can ship. They can't give me a due date.

I still want the truck and I'm not in a rush, but it is a rather crazy situation.
    Ive been sort of passively looking at f150s too. Same kind of experience, several trucks that would fit my combination of needs/want/price show as “on way to dealer” or “dealer ordered”. The dealers are being super cagey about what’s actually on the lot, what’s actually on the way, etc.

Car salesmen in general tend to be smarmy, but the SEFL market is pure shite because the dealers themselves are also turds.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I’ve been shopping Ford transits. I heard the other day that they are just flat not taking any new orders.
    From anybody other than Amazon...

If selling an extra car now is a great time.

If looking to replace just keep what you have unless a dealer has new in stock. Buying used is not ideal.

Ford is stacking trucks until they can get chip. likely September before any real quantity of vehicles.

Ive been sort of passively looking at f150s too. Same kind of experience, several trucks that would fit my combination of needs/want/price show as “on way to dealer” or “dealer ordered”. The dealers are being super cagey about what’s actually on the lot, what’s actually on the way, etc.

Car salesmen in general tend to be smarmy, but the SEFL market is pure shite because the dealers themselves are also turds.
    If you want to shop Ford vehicles, use the Ford website and shop the vehicles from it with the "Search Inventory" tool. The website clearly shows what vehicles dealers have and what is on the way using "Dealer Ordered" and "Just Arrived" labels. Another clue is a vehicle on the lot will have pictures as well as the invoice, and a vehicle not on the lot will likely not have an invoice and surely will lack pictures. When I want a vehicle, I specify it and let the web site find it. Then I send my dealer after it.

Dealership where we bought my wife’s RAV4 mails us a personalized offer every single month because they want it (more accurately want us to trade it in on a newer one).

I traded my old 4Runner off on one of the 21 models. Made the deal in late October. Finally got the thing in early March. It was nuts. Sales guy kept apologizing (and I told him I wasn’t mad and knew it wasn’t his fault). He also said they weren’t supposed to get another new Tundra for about another month.

Their lot is normally very well stocked, but when I was picking up that 4R it was barren of anything truck like. No 4Runners, 1 Taco, no Tundras.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    If you want to shop Ford vehicles, use the Ford website and shop the vehicles from it with the "Search Inventory" tool. The website clearly shows what vehicles dealers have and what is on the way using "Dealer Ordered" and "Just Arrived" labels. Another clue is a vehicle on the lot will have pictures as well as the invoice, and a vehicle not on the lot will likely not have an invoice and surely will lack pictures. When I want a vehicle, I specify it and let the web site find it. Then I send my dealer after it.
    Yes I know how the site works.

That’s my point.

Right now those words don’t necessarily mean what they used to.

Then add the SE FL dealer douchebaggery (yes, it's here, come on in, wait, it's not here, who told you that?)...
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

I briefly considered buying a new F150, but the inventory just isn't there. I just checked my closest Ford dealer. The website makes it look like they have 30 new trucks sitting there, which is already kinda low for a dealership their size. If you look though, most of them are "in transit/dealer ordered." There is a grand total of 7 F150s on the lot of a major metropolitan dealer, in an area where a 1/2 ton truck is the default vehicle.

That's actually worse than the situation three weeks ago when I found my truck with the unicorn option package.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    Oh yeah, FJ market is crazy.
    There's an 07 FJ with 247,000 miles for $8900 on a local car lot.

User Tag List