Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Do we have anyone here on Starlink?

Internet providers are losing customers on a grand scale to Starlink. They offer to reduce your rate when you cancel. Begging more or less to keep their customers. Neighbor told me the story when he dropped our one and only access (DSL) besides Starlink. Our DSL doesn't even meet the minimum federal broadband speed definition of 25/3 Mbps.

DSL no worky when the phone lines are down. I'm not sure but I think Starlink still works if you can power the box. It's Extra Terrestrial.

Last edited by Borderland; 10-17-2023 at 07:30 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    Two months in, I am about to cancel and sell my dish/router. My problem is foliage. Mrs. Fatdog is not going to let me cut the big trees and despite the fact I thought I had enough openings for a dish to work, I do not have a decent space Starlink likes without going 100+ yards or so out into one of the pastures and that is a no go with this setup because of the distance from the house that would represent. The space and direction that has allowed our DirectTV to work for a decade is not sufficient or in the right direction for Starlink to perform well.

I have tried a dozen different locations in a 360 degree arc and none ever stabilize and produce consistent connections in terms of the internet speed.

I can get a signal and a connections in 2-3 locations, but very inconsistent, terrible speeds, and their app warns me it is not ideal every time when I don their 360 degree sky scan, and tells me I need to find another location. I am better off with the 5G home router we kept from Verizon.
    Thanks for the info. I downloaded the app and I can have a good connection according to the sky scan.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    . Our DSL doesn't even meet the minimum federal broadband speed definition of 25/3 Mbps.

DSL no worky when the phone lines are down. I'm not sure but I think Starlink still works if you can power the box. It's Extra Terrestrial.
    Indeed... Living in Appalachia, trees fall on lines daily. This is one of the arguments against fiber optic internet in my region. Yeah, if I have power from the grid or my Bluetti, I have Starlink and thus all my comms. Note: the guys who run the fiber optic for the local outfit make no bones about how fragile that line is; it ain't like telephone wire. And you can't splice fiber optic cable - so I'm told.

It's a little insane to think that a system that works off a bunch of friggin' satellites could be more robust and reliable than something working off a "cable"; but here we are. The couple of outages I've experienced with Starlink in the last 10 months have been measured in minutes. Well, there was that one where the mouse gnawed on the cable in the crawl space, but that wasn't Elon's fault...
    Last edited by Tensaw; 10-17-2023 at 08:48 PM.
    All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
    No one is coming. It is up to us.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    Indeed... Living in Appalachia, trees fall on lines daily. This is one of the arguments against fiber optic internet in my region. Yeah, if I have power from the grid or my Bluetti, I have Starlink and thus all my comms. Note: the guys who run the fiber optic for the local outfit make no bones about how fragile that line is; it ain't like telephone wire. And you can't splice fiber optic cable - so I'm told.

It's a little insane to think that a system that works off a bunch of friggin' satellites could be more robust and reliable than something working off a "cable"; but here we are. The couple of outages I've experienced with Starlink in the last 10 months have been measured in minutes. Well, there was that one where the mouse gnawed on the cable in the crawl space, but that wasn't Elon's fault...
    I guess I've been in Texas long enough that I never considered anyone would hang fiber on poles.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    I guess I've been in Texas long enough that I never considered anyone would hang fiber on poles.
    Here they bury it and somebody is always digging it up with a track hoe. Nobody knows where it is, or cares. Sure, you can call dail-a-dig but that is just a temp location that may take a few days or weeks to get. I worked on some projects where we would call them, they came and marked it and we immediately located the marks. That info went on the plans but even then contractors still destroyed the fiber optic cable, water lines, sewer lines and anything else in the ground.

This event was caused by ice.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/6/23/2...ellites-oneweb
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List