Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Do we have anyone here on Starlink?

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoland View Post
    Unless your WISP is incompetent, it's going to be a while until Starlink has similar uptime.
    Yeah, but that throughout from Starlink though...
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Yeah, but that throughout from Starlink though...
    If you're looking for a new hobby, the real trick is setting up SD-WAN such that you have both a high-availability provider (Cellular? WISP? DSL?) and a high-throughput provider (GEO Satellite, Starlink) and switch between the two. But I'm too lazy to set that up even doing this sort of thing professionally.

A friend lives out in very rural Texas (He has Bill Wilson for a neighbor - that's how rural).

He has signed up and will be getting his gear "Soon". I will pass on his thoughts.

He's an electrical engineer for a major telecomm, so I assume he will have sufficient jargon to satisfy us all.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    In Wyoming, it’s a wireless shot from over the hills, 15megs.
    So speed vs uptime for at least a few months. Don't know how important 100% uptime is for you as it looks like 1-3 minutes of downtime per 24 hours at the moment compared to multiple times more bandwidth.

With the rate SpaceX is launching those gaps might be closing quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by karandom View Post
    So speed vs uptime for at least a few months. Don't know how important 100% uptime is for you as it looks like 1-3 minutes of downtime per 24 hours at the moment compared to multiple times more bandwidth.

With the rate SpaceX is launching those gaps might be closing quickly.
    ISP uptime is usually not driven by spacecraft but rather maturity on the ground. There's really no way to predict without being an insider.

The availability problem for service providers isn't really the 1-3 minutes of downtime per day that they're doing now, which might even be planned. The problems are when something in a datacenter breaks for the first time and nobody expected it, like the Nashville ATT outage.

Watch Starlink

Very interested in the consumer experience.

Starlink install experience

Starlink kit was delivered Sunday. Today I went over to the girlfriend's house and installed it and had it working in minutes. If you can't follow the simple instructions, you should not be walking around in public. Seriously, it is that simple. After plugging it in, the dish took a couple of minutes to locate the satellites. It does that without needing any input from you. The "hardest" part of the install was configuring Wifi which consisted of naming the network and giving it a password, which was done via the Starlink iPhone app. Starlink's website indicated that our area was experiencing intermittent outages. I think I saw that as dish searched for satellites, but it eventually locked on and has been solid for an hour or so.

As to speed, the best I saw was over 200 Mbps download and 25+ Mbps upload speed with a 40ms ping about an hour ago, although just this minute I'm seeing 182 Mbps download and 13.1 Mbps upload with a ping of 70ms. I am very satisfied and now think I will get this for my house as well where I currently have 100Mbps service via my cable provider.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    Starlink kit was delivered Sunday. Today I went over to the girlfriend's house and installed it and had it working in minutes. If you can't follow the simple instructions, you should not be walking around in public. Seriously, it is that simple. After plugging it in, the dish took a couple of minutes to locate the satellites. It does that without needing any input from you. The "hardest" part of the install was configuring Wifi which consisted of naming the network and giving it a password, which was done via the Starlink iPhone app. Starlink's website indicated that our area was experiencing intermittent outages. I think I saw that as dish searched for satellites, but it eventually locked on and has been solid for an hour or so.

As to speed, the best I saw was over 200 Mbps download and 25+ Mbps upload speed with a 40ms ping about an hour ago, although just this minute I'm seeing 182 Mbps download and 13.1 Mbps upload with a ping of 70ms. I am very satisfied and now think I will get this for my house as well where I currently have 100Mbps service via my cable provider.
    Those speeds would be entirely satisfactory for us. Thanks for sharing the info.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    I've been in the queue since earlier this year, but only for the sake of my own curiosity. I'm surprised that some people are already receiving their kits.

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    The "hardest" part of the install was configuring Wifi which consisted of naming the network and giving it a password, which was done via the Starlink iPhone app. Starlink's website indicated that our area was experiencing intermittent outages.
    Is there anyway to configure it without an app?
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

I don’t know. App was handy and is available for iPhone or Android. There was a faq on the Starlink website, but I didn’t explore it in depth looking for that info.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

User Tag List