Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Do we have anyone here on Starlink?

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    A commercial pilot buddy showed me some photos he took over several days flying the same route over southern new Mexico, a week or so ago. Unidentified aerial phenomenon.... Turned out to be a Starlink satellite train.

https://www.space.com/starlink-satel...e-and-track-it

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

I forgot to update my Starlink status. I’ve had it going for several months. I’m really happy with it. It blows Century Link DSL out of the water. The DSL download would’ve been in the 10-12 Mbps range.

I had to route the line across the roof from an old satellite mount to my den and run the line down then through the wall. I used the Starlink kit. It went smoothly and it didn’t take long to acquire satellites and set up my router.

I have been very happy with Starlink. I’ve had a few outages but nothing that lasted long. For where I live it’s the best option now. I won’t see fiber optic here for a long time I’m guessing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

We got Starlink in January after it became obvious that the long-promised fiber optic program for very rural SW Virginia was gonna keep kicking the can down the road. Too, our area experiences power outages pretty routinely, even in good weather because, I guess, trees fall off mountains and onto lines all the time. So, we called up Elon and asked him to send us some internet (the RV service since Starlink is technically “not available” in this area).

Initially we were running straight Starlink gear but that did not play well with our Arlo system for reasons I could never discern. So I ended up taking the Starlink router offline and using an Archer router. Works fine. I can’t tell if this other router throttles the speed at all, but we stream Netflix and play YouTube just fine along with WiFi cell calling (which allowed us to ditch the landline). All in all, we’ve been pretty happy with the service. Was not super stoked about the recent fee increase, but I guess them rockets and satellites cost money.

We received our Starlink gear ahead of the estimated time. Neighbors who got it later had to wait a while. Also note that the Starlink cable is just a shielded Cat 6 cable with proprietary ends. I learned this after a mouse chewed on the cable in my crawl space. YouTube showed me how to install a junction box and I bought the tools and box on Amazon.

Name:  77655281-A90D-4AFE-A293-065E4459539B.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  16.4 KB
    Last edited by Tensaw; 07-01-2023 at 06:32 PM.
    All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
    No one is coming. It is up to us.

Starlink is a game changer out at our Alaska remote cabin. The old service was slow, expensive, and wouldn't work whenever a thick cloud went over.

Name:  IMG_3996.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  20.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    We got Starlink in January after it became obvious that the long-promised fiber optic program for very rural SW Virginia was gonna keep kicking the can down the road. Too, our area experiences power outages pretty routinely, even in good weather because, I guess, trees fall off mountains and onto lines all the time. So, we called up Elon and asked him to send us some internet (the RV service since Starlink is technically “not available” in this area).

Initially we were running straight Starlink gear but that did not play well with our Arlo system for reasons I could never discern. So I ended up taking the Starlink router offline and using an Archer router. Works fine. I can’t tell if this other router throttles the speed at all, but we stream Netflix and play YouTube just fine along with WiFi cell calling (which allowed us to ditch the landline). All in all, we’ve been pretty happy with the service. Was not super stoked about the recent fee increase, but I guess them rockets and satellites cost money.

We received our Starlink gear ahead of the estimated time. Neighbors who got it later had to wait a while. Also note that the Starlink cable is just a shielded Cat 6 cable with proprietary ends. I learned this after a mouse chewed on the cable in my crawl space. YouTube showed me how to install a junction box and I bought the tools and box on Amazon.

Name:  77655281-A90D-4AFE-A293-065E4459539B.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  16.4 KB
    along with WiFi cell calling (which allowed us to ditch the landline

Neighbor did this. Happy, happy. Our cell service is almost nonextant here. One bar most of the time and dropped calls are common. I can't listen to my voicemail most days. We will never have fiber in my lifetime. My wife just upgraded her iPhone so I'm going to map the horizon to the north to see if we have a chance of seeing the sats. My neighbors SL dish is about 350° AZ and 75° alt. We have a lot of trees. My guess is we don't but I'll try it anyway.

Starlink is probably going to stop anymore fiber into rural areas. Zero profit incentive.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    along with WiFi cell calling (which allowed us to ditch the landline

Neighbor did this. Happy, happy. Our cell service is almost nonextant here. One bar most of the time and dropped calls are common. I can't listen to my voicemail most days. We will never have fiber in my lifetime. My wife just upgraded her iPhone so I'm going to map the horizon to the north to see if we have a chance of seeing the sats. My neighbors SL dish is about 350° AZ and 75° alt. We have a lot of trees. My guess is we don't but I'll try it anyway.

Starlink is probably going to stop anymore fiber into rural areas. Zero profit incentive.
    We have *zero* cell service (not poor signal, no signal) at my residence and only spotty service between here and town 20 minutes away. We tried Wifi calling with HughesNet and the buffering/lagging made that unbearable. With Starlink, there is zero lag; works great.

Because we ditched the landline and Starlink is our only way for comms to the outside world (we can't even get digital rabbit ear TV here), I bought a Bluetti power pack that will run the Starlink gear for about 18 hours before it needs a charge.
    All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
    No one is coming. It is up to us.

Update on Starlink Install

We've had Starlink at my girlfriend's place in Central AZ for a while now (we have the older round dish obtained during the beta phase). At first we had the dish mounted on a pole on the back deck. A few trees partially blocked the dish and resulted in drop outs that interfered with using wifi calling on the cell phone. We had the dish moved to the roof of the house to avoid the trees. It fixed the drop out problem. Speed has remained good, generally in the 100Mbs range, sometimes more. Have been very happy with Starlink as compared to the really crappy DSL from CenturyLink that was glacially slow.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

We also have the Starlink RV in motion setup on our Sprinter van, and it works great. Allows us to camp where we want as opposed to where there is signal. Also, with Wi-Fi calling, we have near continuous cell phone coverage.

Well after 2 years since I put down our deposit I got the email this week. I have seven days to decide. We have been getting along ok with Verizon hot spots for almost two decades I think. This should be a big jump and based on what you folks are experiencing I am going to go ahead and do it. The Verizon thing is very spotty with streaming speeds and my hope is this is going to make streaming more reliable out here. My only fear is trees and there are people who will come out and climb up to cut away what I need to make it work, so here goes..
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

User Tag List