Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aftermarket bumpers for trucks

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    This. If I'm "engaging" with my F150, it's disposable then too.
    Yup. I was thinking more of escape options but offensive use is always an option.

Relevant part starts about 2:40

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Yup. I was thinking more of escape options but offensive use is always an option.

Relevant part starts about 2:40

Yes. And...

There are certain scenarios I'm not going to spend significant time or money preparing for, and that's one of them.

We did have a police pursuit terminate with a crash right in front of us in an urban area once, with the suspect bailing on foot and guns out and shit. Since I always leave between my truck and the car in front, I was able to drop into 4LO, climb a curb, go over a sidewalk and escape into a parking lot. That was kind of nice.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    Yes. And...

There are certain scenarios I'm not going to spend significant time or money preparing for, and that's one of them.

We did have a police pursuit terminate with a crash right in front of us in an urban area once, with the suspect bailing on foot and guns out and shit. Since I always leave between my truck and the car in front, I was able to drop into 4LO, climb a curb, go over a sidewalk and escape into a parking lot. That was kind of nice.
    Hitting deer at night is very much a thing here so any other capability is a bonus.

I was thinking of something understated like this.

https://www.americantrucks.com/durat...s-t542572.html
    #RESIST

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    If you want a winch mount, go for it. But the bumper will cost more than the insurance deductible next time you hit a deer, and a bumper like that is only protecting itself.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I was thinking of something understated like this.

https://www.americantrucks.com/durat...s-t542572.html
    Cripes!! You could buy a FULL 50rd box of 9mm ammo for the price of that bumper. Priorities Man!!!

ETA: That's also a trip to Revolver Roundup, and since you bought yourself a nice "wheelie".............. Just sayin.
    Last edited by wvincent; 04-12-2021 at 01:29 PM.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    If you want a winch mount, go for it. But the bumper will cost more than the insurance deductible next time you hit a deer, and a bumper like that is only protecting itself.
    I don’t need a winch.
    #RESIST

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.

ARB has crash tested their bumpers I guess, but I'm fuzzy on whether that's with Australian vehicles or US.

Finally, over the lifetime of the vehicle, what does the big ass steel bumper cost you in MPG, tire wear etc?

They do look hella cool though.
    This is the reason if and when I replace my bumper it will be with the ARB. The other issue is the airbag sensors which ARB makes sure the are compatible with.

Increased mpg due to weight and aerodynamics is another issue but there is no denying the improved approach angles and sexiness..

There is a big trucking company (Prime) that put bambi bashers on all their rigs causing quite the stir among its bean counters. Aside from the initial cost, deer guards also decreased aerodynamics which really adds up on a fleet driving millions of miles each year. But it wound up lowering their accident costs more so - especially in preventing their drivers from swerving to avoid deer and rolling over.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Is the agreed upon best practice to hit a deer first with your factory bumper and then use the proceeds to buy a nice steel aftermarket bumper?
    Nope. Fortunately, I didn't follow that path. Had a very solid bumper and legit sliders installed early on. That saved my truck when a nice, elderly lady plowed into my truck last fall.

User Tag List