Page 37 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2735363738 LastLast

Thread: Daunte Wright shooting Brooklyn MN

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Qualifications and standards are so overrated.

(need I include [sarc]?)
    yep. And you're right to include "standards" because they aren't just cutting out training, they're also doing away with some of the remedial actions formerly used to persuade cadets to shape up or ship out. For example, they're no longer supposed to punish an entire class with extra PT when one particular cadet keeps showing up late...

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    I suppose that my problem with this outcome distills around the concept of mens rea, or a “criminal mindset”, in order for a crime to have occurred. Specifically, I’m concerned with the lack of this criteria in this particular case.
    Some good questions raised in this thread. I was trying to think of similar examples of other professionals directly causing the death of an individual while performing their duties.

Commercial driver steps on wrong pedal, kills pedestrian.

Medical professional confuses micrograms and milligrams, overdoses and kills patient.

The action of the individual was clearly and directly responsible for the death. There was no criminal intent. There may have been inattention or distraction or not following procedures or standards.

What punishment is appropriate?

A person can under go the best training, outside of the classroom in the real world its for keeps. Mr. Wright caused his demise by his actions alone forcing a need for further escalation of force to control the situation. Im disappointed to see Officer Kim was found guilty. If you watch the video without sound what if any mistakes are made? Please explain

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/po...outputType=amp

I recall this case of a surgical resident at my old hospital who drove home after work, fell asleep at the wheel, and caused a fatal collision. As I recall, there was no dispute that he was tired when he left the hospital and still chose to drive. I believe that he was charged with a misdemeanor and did not serve jail time. He is currently practicing medicine now, as he should be.

Aside from the obvious differences in race (I believe that the resident was of mixed race and the executive that he killed was white) and the manner of death (gun vs. car), I’m having a bit of a hard time separating the lead-up and outcomes of these incidents.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Some good questions raised in this thread. I was trying to think of similar examples of other professionals directly causing the death of an individual while performing their duties.

Commercial driver steps on wrong pedal, kills pedestrian.

Medical professional confuses micrograms and milligrams, overdoses and kills patient.

The action of the individual was clearly and directly responsible for the death. There was no criminal intent. There may have been inattention or distraction or not following procedures or standards.

What punishment is appropriate?
    How many people do doctors kill then police kill? How many times on gun forums do people rail against the concept that using a gun is somehow different then other types of violence? Yet nobody calls for Dr. McButterfingers who sews up the patient with some tools still inside to face jail time.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    How many people do doctors kill then police kill? How many times on gun forums do people rail against the concept that using a gun is somehow different then other types of violence? Yet nobody calls for Dr. McButterfingers who sews up the patient with some tools still inside to face jail time.
    I think that is more of a classist halo effect than anything else. Like mentioned earlier, working class truck driver fuckups routinely result in jail time (e.g. https://www.ksnblocal4.com/2021/12/1...iple-fatality/ )

Why can medical residents *average* 80 hours/week for a month when truck drivers can't go over 70 hours in any one week?

For that matter, how many police fuckups happen to someone working a double?

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    Why can medical residents *average* 80 hours/week for a month when truck drivers can't go over 70 hours in any one week?
    Do the truck drivers have a more experienced diver monitoring their ability to operate a commercial vehicle? The residents do, and I can attest from personal experience and a growing body of research evidence that the supervision improves outcomes.

There have been several studies looking at resident work hours and patient outcomes. While it seems intuitive that a fresh set of eyes would be better than someone falling asleep at the scalpel, demonstrating this benefit has been harder than you might think. This is probably due to the fact that reducing resident hours necessitates more signouts and care transitions between doctors. These signouts are inherently high risk and ripe for miscommunication that worsen outcomes. So, the tired doctor who knows your case like the back of his gloved hand gives you a similar outcome as the fresh doctor who is not as familiar with your case.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Do the truck drivers have a more experienced diver monitoring their ability to operate a commercial vehicle?
    Sort of, for many companies that both electronically track and have cameras in the cab that allow remote monitoring of the driver. I was pretty surprised at the level of surveillance in a modern semi cab. Not as direct a supervision, but also not as complicated a task.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by SD View Post
    I'm disappointed to see Officer Kim was found guilty.
    The jury of her peers was a pool of people that didn't want their town burned down.

I completely agree, but will this be enough to appease the opposition when better weather arrives later in the Spring?
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    The jury of her peers was a pool of people that didn't want their town burned down.

User Tag List