Page 18 of 38 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Daunte Wright shooting Brooklyn MN

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I’m trying not sound like an asshole, but to me; it speaks volumes about her as an FTO. I wasn’t there, I’m not a cop, etc. For all I know, it was a soup sandwich that could have been solved with proper application of a tazer. I don’t know, but I’m willing to learn.
    The world of LE needs Darryl Bolke more than ever.

Quote Originally Posted by MickAK View Post
    Everyone is focusing on the mistaken Taser aspect but what's standing out to me is how incredibly bad the officers are at handling an angry human. This isn't the first time I've noticed this, and I'm curious how common this is. It stood out to me in the Atlanta shooting and it's standing out even harder on this one. The guys hands are behind his back and he's a good distance from the drivers seat and the officer getting ready to cuff him looks like he has ~40 lbs on the guy.

Is this a training trend or a mindset one or am I just noticing it because those are the videos that get seen?
    Early on, we had a guy who had just rammed my patrol car with a stolen truck (I was out of the unit and away from the unit) up against the truck and were in the process of cuffing him when he stopped, dropped and rolled. We nabbed him again after a short foot pursuit, well, my partner chased him, I just hollered 'Nelson, don't make me shoot you!' which caused my partner to hit the dirt, ripping the heck out of his uni on the macadamized street, and Nelson to stop and put his hands up.

Truth be told, we were both inexperienced at that point and the folks we had arrested had all been compliant. It only takes a second of inattention to have a suspect seize the advantage.

I was lucky that I learned/internalized the lesson from that incident without any harm, except to my partner's pants, and my discomfort whenever he told the story over the next 30 years - according to him the only thought on his mind when he hit the deck was me waving my 6" Model 28 around, zeroing in on Nelson with my 'Cap Cresap L-tronic night sights' with him in between Nelson and myself. Truth is, the revolver was holstered, even before Garner, I had no intention of shooting one of our favorite juvie offenders over a stolen truck.

TL:dr - it's easy to get complacent with a lot of officers on scene and a seemingly compliant offender unless you've been bit on the ass before.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    Early on, we had a guy who had just rammed my patrol car with a stolen truck (I was out of the unit and away from the unit) up against the truck and were in the process of cuffing him when he stopped, dropped and rolled. We nabbed him again after a short foot pursuit, well, my partner chased him, I just hollered 'Nelson, don't make me shoot you!' which caused my partner to hit the dirt, ripping the heck out of his uni on the macadamized street, and Nelson to stop and put his hands up.

Truth be told, we were both inexperienced at that point and the folks we had arrested had all been compliant. It only takes a second of inattention to have a suspect seize the advantage.

I was lucky that I learned/internalized the lesson from that incident without any harm, except to my partner's pants, and my discomfort whenever he told the story over the next 30 years - according to him the only thought on his mind when he hit the deck was me waving my 6" Model 28 around, zeroing in on Nelson with my 'Cap Cresap L-tronic night sights' with him in between Nelson and myself. Truth is, the revolver was holstered, even before Garner, I had no intention of shooting one of our favorite juvie offenders over a stolen truck.

TL:dr - it's easy to get complacent with a lot of officers on scene and a seemingly compliant offender unless you've been bit on the ass before.
    You had me at 6" Model 28.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    If so, I’d say the local folks are in for a rough ride tonight. Y’all be safe.
    So far at least, this doesn't seem to have become anywhere near as much of a metro area-wide extravaganza of burning, looting, and rioting as last summer was. Since I'm a significant distance away from Brooklyn Center, I'm not ratcheting up the alert level too high just yet. I'm not sure how that will play out, though - will the people who are prone to turning protests into riots have the wind taken out of their sails when they learn that the killing was [apparently] unintentional, or will they just continue on the same way? Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    So far at least, this doesn't seem to have become anywhere near as much of a metro area-wide extravaganza of burning, looting, and rioting as last summer was. Since I'm a significant distance away from Brooklyn Center, I'm not ratcheting up the alert level too high just yet. I'm not sure how that will play out, though - will the people who are prone to turning protests into riots have the wind taken out of their sails when they learn that the killing was [apparently] unintentional, or will they just continue on the same way? Time will tell.
    Indeed. It may be more akin to the Minneapolis incident last summer where the wanted dude offed himself on Nicollet Mall and everyone else went nuts for about 18 hours, then mostly snapped out of it.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    There's also the fact that the Mostly Peaceful Protest kind of hurts the Gun Control Now push.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    You had me at 6" Model 28.
    Oh, yeah I was styling, Hoyt breakfront holster (hey, it was the 70's).

The L'tronic night sights I mentioned were, IIRC, installed by a guy named Cap Cresap someplace in California. What he did was magic for the time - he drilled a hole the length of the barrel rib, through the front of the frame, then laid the wire under the rear sight, and drilled down through the frame below the rear sight base. he then placed LED's (not even known to me at the time) into the front sight ramp and epoxied over it, likewise a small LED at the base of the rear sight. A pressure switch in a pair of modified Pachmyr grips activated the lights. He also hard-chromed the entire pisoliver.

I was giddy, immediately upon receipt I hastened to our bedroom closet and activated the might sights. Looked like fireflies. It was then one of the first problems with night sights dawned on me - I would have to make damned sure I had target ID before shooting, despite being able to align my sights perfectly in the dark.

I still have the 28, despite hard use, it was in pristine condition until I loaned it to my son for backup on a hog hunting trip. 'nuff said.

Name:  Model 28.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  64.7 KB

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    What he did was magic for the time - he drilled a hole the length of the barrel rib, through the front of the frame, ...
    That's not trivial even now.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    https://www.foxnews.com/us/daunte-wr...-he-was-killed

Daunte Wright accused of choking and robbing woman at gunpoint, had arrest warrant

Daunte Wright, the 20-year-old Black man shot by a police officer in a Minneapolis suburb Sunday afternoon, had an open warrant for his arrest related to an aggravated armed robbery attempt when he was killed, according to court records.

Wright and another man, identified as Emajay Maurice Driver, a high school acquaintance, had both been charged with first-degree aggravated robbery in a December 2019 incident in Osseso, Minn., Hennepin County District Court documents show.

According to the documents, Wright and Driver went to a party at an apartment in the 600 block of North Oaks Drive in Osseo – about 5 miles from Brooklyn Center, where Wright was fatally shot.

Around 2:30 a.m., two women at the home told Wright and Driver they needed to leave, but the two men said they did not have a ride, the documents say. The women reportedly allowed the Wright and Driver to spend the night.

In the morning, one of the two women left the apartment to get $820 in cash to pay the other for rent. After paying the rent, she left for work.

As Wright and Driver were waiting for their rides, the other woman who stayed behind said Wright allegedly blocked the door, preventing her from leaving. Wright then allegedly pulled a black handgun "with silver trim out from either his right waistband or his right coat pocket," pointed it at the woman and demanded the $820, the court documents say.

The victim asked him, "Are you serious?" to which he allegedly responded, "Give me the f---ing money, I know you have it," according to the court documents.

When she asked again if he was serious, he allegedly told her, "I’m not playing around."

Wright then allegedly choked the woman while trying to pull the cash out from under her bra, where she had tucked it away.

The court documents say she was able to pry herself loose and "started to kneel down and scream." She told authorities that she allegedly heard Driver tell her to give the money to Wright, who was yelling at her to stop screaming.

She reportedly screamed at them to get out of her apartment, telling them that the cops were close. Wright allegedly told her he would shoot her and said, "Give me the money and we will leave, give me the money and we will go."

Quote Originally Posted by MickAK View Post
    Everyone is focusing on the mistaken Taser aspect but what's standing out to me is how incredibly bad the officers are at handling an angry human. This isn't the first time I've noticed this, and I'm curious how common this is. It stood out to me in the Atlanta shooting and it's standing out even harder on this one. The guys hands are behind his back and he's a good distance from the drivers seat and the officer getting ready to cuff him looks like he has ~40 lbs on the guy.

Is this a training trend or a mindset one or am I just noticing it because those are the videos that get seen?
    The number of folks I've handcuffed after a traffic stop is exactly, zero. So, I won't conjecture about why it was done that way.

I just want to ask if there is a compelling reason to not move the suspect towards the rear of the vehicle or close the driver's side door once he is out, as you step around to cuff him?

I know the vehicle was still occupied by the decedent's girlfriend at the time, which could be a factor in not wanting to close the door. But from the video, there is an officer on the other side of the vehicle watching/covering her. Just closing the door, would have made it difficult for the suspect to get back into the vehicle, because the officer doing the cuffing would then be between him and a closed door.

User Tag List