Page 26 of 38 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: Daunte Wright shooting Brooklyn MN

That's how and that's why these incidents create a havoc.
    Public looks at the aftermath and reacts. They don't say "Oh the police just wanted to use taser so it's okay to kill us by mistake".
    Public sentiment isn't a part of the law. If it were it would be proper to just drag those arrested from their jail cell and hang them in the street.

Public sentiment comes from yellow journalism that happens for the ad revenue it generates. A lot of times live reporting isn't even factual in an attempt to report something, anything, even without credible sources. Then they spin it in whatever direction they think will generate the most controversy and indignation.

Public sentiment is riots and vigilante justice. The first line of defense against that happens to be the police, even if you disagree with their actions. They don't always get it right but they're out there doing a job you probably wouldn't want.
    Last edited by Borderland; 04-14-2021 at 06:07 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Public sentiment isn't a part of the law. If it were it would be proper to just drag those arrested from their jail cell and hang them in the street.

Public sentiment comes from yellow journalism that happens for the ad revenue it generates. A lot of times live reporting isn't even factual in an attempt to report something, anything, even without credible sources.

Public sentiment is riots and vigilante justice. The first line of defense against that happens to be the police, even if you disagree with their actions. They don't always get it right but they're out there doing a job you probably wouldn't want.
    Public sentiment is often manipulated and gaslighted into personal power for demagogues. "If we can only get rid of these pesky rules and laws and restrictions, we can ensure this never happens again!" is the lie.

Public sentiment is changeable and fickle and emotional, and acts maliciously on ignorance. But they can't take those acts back.

Public sentiment is just another description of Tyranny of the Majority.
    Last edited by Joe in PNG; 04-14-2021 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Link added
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
    Yes you are right.
    As I replied just now to another post, someone like me who reads a lot of replies from LEO's have so many things going on when some incident like this happens.
    Now think of general public who never reads anything.
    They see the results, they don't see how it happened.
    That's how this whole protests and other issues are coming up.
    It's not good for both police and public and I don't know the solution.
    Please reread my VERY FIRST REPLY to you. You have apparently come to the same conclusion, without realizing it.

Yes, the public is ignorant. Yes, it is a problem. Maybe there's something to that idea of civic responsibility? That it's the duty of citizens to be informed in a free society? I dunno....just spitballin'.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Double Jeopardy Clause, 5th Amendment, US Constitution, prevents exactly that.

You cannot try the same person for the same crime (even using a lesser charge) following an acquittal. The exceptions to this are if new evidence comes to light after an acquittal that would incriminate the defendant (think DNA evidence) and even then that's not always the case.
    When is new evidence an exception to double jeopardy?
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    The big spots for that were always the counties north and south of you. Although I was told that the five people pulled over in a mile and a half on Sunday morning on the Duane Berentson bridges was actually the Oak Harbor WASP office, not the Burlington one (in whose "territory" the bridges actually officially were).
    I think they just go where the action is. WSP nailed me on the Ebey Slough bridge just north of Everett. I had an excuse though. I was driving my wife's new car and it was so smooth I didn't realize my speed. No comment. Sign here. Have a good day and slow down.

I used to work on Snohomish county roads almost everyday. I called in for some traffic enforcement on a county road one time and got a "we're too busy" from the sheriff's office. The next day a WSP motorcycle showed up and he wrote tickets non stop for two days. That was better than a Christmas present.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    When is new evidence an exception to double jeopardy?

The Constitution's double jeopardy clause generally forbids subsequent prosecutions. But the Supreme Court has made one exception. Saying that the federal government and the states are independent sovereigns, the court has allowed separate prosecutions of the same conduct in state and federal courts.Jun 17, 2019
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/17/u...deral%20courts.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Right, but that's not to do with discovering new evidence.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Right, but that's not to do with discovering new evidence.
    Agree. That's why I "liked" your post.

This was the only circumstance that came to mind. But, I'm not a lawyer either...

Pay wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Pay wall.
    Hmmm, I guess my computer has special privileges. Here's the gist:

June 17, 2019
    WASHINGTON — In a decision that could affect associates of President Trump accused of wrongdoing and hoping for pardons, the Supreme Court ruled on Monday that criminal defendants may be prosecuted for the same offenses in both federal and state court. Since Mr. Trump’s pardon power extends only to federal crimes, the ruling leaves people he pardons subject to state prosecutions.

The vote was 7 to 2, with Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Neil M. Gorsuch each filing dissents.

Writing for the majority, Justice Samuel A. Alito Jr. said there was no good reason to overrule 170 years of precedents allowing separate prosecutions.

The Constitution’s double jeopardy clause generally forbids subsequent prosecutions. But the Supreme Court has made one exception. Saying that the federal government and the states are independent sovereigns, the court has allowed separate prosecutions of the same conduct in state and federal courts.

The case before the court concerned an Alabama man, Terance Gamble, who was prosecuted by state authorities for possessing a gun after having been convicted of a felony. He was convicted and sentenced to a year in prison.

As the state case moved forward, federal prosecutors charged Mr. Gamble with the same conduct. This time, he was sentenced to 46 months, with the two prison terms to run concurrently.

Mr. Gamble argued that this violated the double jeopardy clause, but lower courts said the dual prosecutions were permissible under Supreme Court precedents.

Justice Alito wrote that Mr. Gamble had failed to make the case for overruling those precedents. “The historical evidence assembled by Gamble is feeble,” he wrote. “Pointing the other way are the clause’s text, other historical evidence and 170 years of precedent.”

Justice Alito wrote that states are separate sovereigns much as foreign nations are. “If, as Gamble suggests, only one sovereign may prosecute for a single act, no American court — state or federal — could prosecute conduct already tried in a foreign court,” he wrote.

“Imagine, for example,” Justice Alito wrote, “that a U.S. national has been murdered in another country.” Both nations, he wrote, would have an interest in prosecuting the murderer.

“The murder of a U.S. national is an offense to the United States as much as it is to the country where the murder occurred and to which the victim is a stranger,” he wrote. “That is why the killing of an American abroad is a federal offense that can be prosecuted in our courts, and why customary international law allows this exercise of jurisdiction.”

Much of Justice Alito’s majority opinion was a detailed account of old English decisions, treatises and founding-era materials. He said Mr. Gamble had failed to make a compelling case based on those documents for overruling the court’s longstanding interpretation of the Fifth Amendment’s double jeopardy clause.

“The English cases are a muddle,” Justice Alito wrote. “Treatises offer spotty support. And early state and federal cases are by turns equivocal and downright harmful to Gamble’s position. All told, this evidence does not establish that those who ratified the Fifth Amendment took it to bar successive prosecutions under different sovereigns’ laws — much less do so with enough force to break a chain of precedent linking dozens of cases over 170 years.”

There had been signs that at least some justices were uneasy with that line of cases. In 2016, Justice Ginsburg, joined by Justice Clarence Thomas, called for a new look at whether the exception makes sense. “The matter warrants attention in a future case in which a defendant faces successive prosecutions by parts of the whole U.S.A.,” she wrote.

As that alliance suggested, the issue did not divide the justices across the usual ideological lines. But Justice Thomas reversed course in a 17-page concurring opinion on Monday, writing that “the historical record does not bear out my initial skepticism of the dual-sovereignty doctrine.”

Justice Thomas’s opinion was also notable for its extended critique of the court’s general approach to how much respect to give precedents. He said the court should not hesitate to overrule “demonstrably erroneous precedents.”

In dissent, Justice Ginsburg said the court should have overturned the double jeopardy decisions at issue in Mr. Gamble’s case, saying they had “been subject to relentless criticism by members of the bench, bar and academy.”

She was also critical of the majority’s historical approach to the question.

“This case,” she wrote, “does not call for an inquiry into whether and when an 18th-century English court would have credited a foreign court’s judgment in a criminal case. Gamble was convicted in both Alabama and the United States, jurisdictions that are not foreign to each other. English court decisions regarding the respect due to a foreign nation’s judgment are therefore inapposite.”

In his own dissent, Justice Gorsuch said the majority had violated fundamental fairness.

“A free society does not allow its government to try the same individual for the same crime until it’s happy with the result,” he wrote. “Unfortunately, the court today endorses a colossal exception to this ancient rule against double jeopardy.”

User Tag List