Page 19 of 38 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Daunte Wright shooting Brooklyn MN

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    The number of folks I've handcuffed after a traffic stop is exactly, zero. So, I won't conjecture about why it was done that way.

I just want to ask if there is a compelling reason to not move the suspect towards the rear of the vehicle or close the driver's side door once he is out, as you step around to cuff him?

I know the vehicle was still occupied by the decedent's girlfriend at the time, which could be a factor in not wanting to close the door. But from the video, there is an officer on the other side of the vehicle watching/covering her. Just closing the door, would have made it difficult for the suspect to get back into the vehicle, because the officer doing the cuffing would then be between him and a closed door.
    The officers knew they were arresting Wright on an armed robbery / firearms related charge. Rather than doing a west coast style "felony" or high risk type call out stop at gun point, Officer 1 gets him out of the car and immediately puts hands on him via hand or finger control. He seems to want to try and get the cuffs on ASAP so moving him may give Wright more time to think about fight/flight. Officer 1 cannot take his hands off Wright to close the door or Wright's either gone or the fight is on. Officer 2 (Potter) is his cover officer. For Officer 2 to close the door she would have to give up covering Officer 1 (her primary responsibility) at the worst possible time.

Putting on the first cuff is normally the most dangerous time and when people are most likely to react badly.

Re-watching the video, it appears when Officer 1 attempts to put on the first cuff Wright tries to resist and pull away but Officer 1 maintains control. This prompts Officer 2 to attempt to join in and take control of Wright's right arm/hand at about the 0:35 mark. She fails to get control of the right arm which allows Wright to spin out of Officer 1's control and get back into the driver's seat.

Closing the door restricts access to the interior but there is a school of thought that using the "L" formed by the car body and the open door helps restrict suspect's attempting to flee.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The officers knew they were arresting Wright on an armed robbery / firearms related charge. Rather than doing a west coast style "felony" or high risk type call out stop at gun point, Officer 1 gets him out of the car and immediately puts hands on him via hand or finger control. He seems to want to try and get the cuffs on ASAP so moving him may give Wright more time to think about fight/flight. Officer 1 cannot take his hands off Wright to close the door or Wright's either gone or the fight is on. Officer 2 (Potter) is his cover officer. For Officer 2 to close the door she would have to give up covering Officer 1 (her primary responsibility) at the worst possible time.

Putting on the first cuff is normally the most dangerous time and when people are most likely to react badly.

Re-watching the video, it appears when Officer 1 attempts to put on the first cuff Wright tries to resist and pull away but Officer 1 maintains control. This prompts Officer 2 to attempt to join in and take control of Wright's right arm/hand at about the 0:35 mark. She fails to get control of the right arm which allows Wright to spin out of Officer 1's control and get back into the driver's seat.

Closing the door restricts access to the interior but there is a school of thought that using the "L" formed by the car body and the open door helps restrict suspect's attempting to flee.
    Makes sense.

Thank you.

This prompts Officer 2 to attempt to join in and take control of Wright's right arm/hand at about the 0:35 mark. She fails to get control of the right arm which allows Wright to spin out of Officer 1's control and get back into the driver's seat.
    At the :30 sec mark, Officer 2 quietly announces "he's got a warrant."

At :35 sec, Officer 1 tells Wright "Don't [unclear]." Wright replies "I'm not doing nothing." Officer 1 repeats "Don't [unclear]."

At :40 sec: Playing that portion back in slow-mo, it appears that Officer 1 pauses the cuffing process and drops his right hand with cuffs to his side. He then opens up some space, allowing Officer 2 to reach in and retrieve what appears to be a piece of paper from Wright's back or far side.

Best I can tell, at this point, she is not actively assisting in controlling or securing Wright.

This is screen shot is Officer 2 retrieving piece of paper. The next second, Wright starts aggressively escaping.
    Name:  Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 6.00.59 AM.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  42.0 KB

A better shot of the paper still in her hand during the scrum. She is still holding it at the end of the scene as Wright drives away.
    Name:  Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 5.57.34 AM.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  40.9 KB

(Just some MMQB observations. I claim zero expertise.)
    David S.

Site Supporter
    https://www.foxnews.com/us/daunte-wr...-he-was-killed

Daunte Wright accused of choking and robbing woman at gunpoint, had arrest warrant
    In terms of poetry, that accidental shoot was justified.

New ghetto term: Daunte’s bullet. This is a bullet with your name on it at a future date for being a piece of human garbage.

<Dupe post, HCM already posted this,leaving this up for those that don’t check the whole thread>

Daunte Wright had a warrant out for his arrest for attempted aggravated robbery charges after 'choking and holding a woman at gunpoint for $820 in 2019,' court papers reveal

Wright was due to face trial on a charge of attempted aggravated robbery - with a possible maximum sentence of 20 years in prison.

Charging papers say he and a second man, Emajay Driver went to a home shared by two women in Osseo, Minnesota 'to party' in December 2019. At the time, Wright was 19 and Driver was 18.

The women asked them to leave around 2.30 am on December 1, but they said they didn't have a ride and the women - who are not identified in the court documents - allowed them to sleep on the floor.

In the morning, one of the women went to the bank to get her $820 rent money which she gave to the other woman and then left for work. As Wright, Driver and the second woman were leaving, Wright allegedly tried to hold up the woman.

'The three of them were walking to the door to exit the apartment and defendant Wright turned around and blocked the door preventing victim from leaving,' says the report, written by Osseo Police Officer Shane Mikkelson.

'Defendant Wright then pulled a black handgun with silver trim out from either his right waistband or his right coat pocket and pointed it at victim and demanded the rent money,' continued Mikkelson.

'Victim said "Are you serious?" Defendant Wright replied: "Give me the f**king money, I know you have it."

When the woman again asked him if he was serious, Wright is said to have replied: 'I'm not playing around.'

Mikkelson's report said: 'The $820 cash was tucked in the victim's bra and defendant Wright placed his hand around victim's neck and choked her while trying to pull the cash from under her bra.

'Victim was able to get loose from defendant Wright and started to kneel down and scream.'

After more yelling, Wright allegedly told the woman that he was going to shoot her unless he got the money.

'Give me the money and we will leave,' he allegedly said. 'Give me the money and we will go.'

Mikkelson added: 'Defendant Wright then tried to choke victim a second time and tried to take her money. Defendant Driver was telling her to give defendant Wright the money.

'Defendant Driver then said: "Let's go," and the two defendants left and got into a white Cadillac and left the scene,' wrote Mikkelson.

'Afterwards, victim found that the cash was still in her bra.'

Mikkelson said the woman identified both Wright and Driver through photo line-ups.

Wright's bail was originally set at $100,000 with orders that he should not contact the victim or any witnesses, refrain from drugs and alcohol and not have any weapons. A bond bailsman paid $40,000 for his release.

But his bail was revoked in July last year due to his 'failure to not possess a firearm or ammunition' and not keeping in touch with his probation officer, court papers show.

At that time a judge issued a warrant for his arrest, that was still outstanding on the day he died.

In recent days several people have claimed on the Internet that Wright may not even have known about the warrant because it was sent to the wrong address and returned to the court by the US Postal Service.

But that letter, sent out on February 2 and returned to the court three days later was just to advise Wright of a change of date for his court hearing.
    #RESIST

I wonder if there will be a statue in whichever square they name after him.

I suppose there is a time to be daunted, and a time to be undaunted.

This is one of those times, apparently.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    At the :30 sec mark, Officer 2 quietly announces "he's got a warrant."

At :35 sec, Officer 1 tells Wright "Don't [unclear]." Wright replies "I'm not doing nothing." Officer 1 repeats "Don't [unclear]."

At :40 sec: Playing that portion back in slow-mo, it appears that Officer 1 pauses the cuffing process and drops his right hand with cuffs to his side. He then opens up some space, allowing Officer 2 to reach in and retrieve what appears to be a piece of paper from Wright's back or far side.

Best I can tell, at this point, she is not actively assisting in controlling or securing Wright.

This is screen shot is Officer 2 retrieving piece of paper. The next second, Wright starts aggressively escaping.
    Name:  Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 6.00.59 AM.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  42.0 KB

A better shot of the paper still in her hand during the scrum. She is still holding it at the end of the scene as Wright drives away.
    Name:  Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 5.57.34 AM.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  40.9 KB

(Just some MMQB observations. I claim zero expertise.)
    Ok but Wright still took advantage the opportunity to make his move.

Pure MMQB, but what was on that paper that couldn’t wait until he was cuffed ?

The fact she is still holding the piece of paper at the end is interesting. It may be an indication that she was under very high stress

Pepperidge Farm doesn’t remember the protests over this police ND.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooti...Justine_Damond
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I wonder if there will be a statue in whichever square they name after him.

I suppose there is a time to be daunted, and a time to be undaunted.

This is one of those times, apparently.
    Only if we rename “Peaceful Protests” as “Daunte’s Infernos”.

*rimshot*
    Last edited by RJ; 04-14-2021 at 09:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    There is something to the truism that it is better to comply and file a complaint (or not) later on.)
    I know I am preaching to the choir here, but doesn't it seem like this should be the message BLM, politicians, and whoever else is participating in all this should be sending? Instead of trying to figure out how to make for fewer interactions with LE (my guess would be not be part of or around people involved in criminal activity, but what do I know...), how about this:

If you don't try to fight with or run from the police your odds of being shot by them are practically ZERO.
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

User Tag List