Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What guns do you come back to because “It will be different this time”?

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Pump action shotguns. I have two very nice Rem 870s - one is an older '70s manf. police wingmaster, the other is an early 90s 870P. also grabbed a cheap posurp mossy 500A that smells like cigarettes (friends don't let friends Gunbroker drunk).

I probably spent close to $1k setting up the 870P, including the SF foreend, sidesaddle, magpul stock, etc. I put exactly 5 rounds of 00 buck through it and it has sat in my safe ever since.

In addition to all the reasons they aren't the very best longarm for personal protection, they're just... not really very fun to shoot.

I can see myself setting up a semi auto and enjoying that a bit more, but honestly, if I were to get another shotgun, it would be for the purpose of getting into the clay shooting sports or maybe 3 gun. For every other purpose, I'd way rather have an AR.

So mine isn't a gun, but I think it fits with the theme of the thread.

The Surefire X300U. I like this pistol light better than any other option currently on the market. I WANT to carry it AIWB, but it never works. Every time I see a new AIWB holster for it I tell myself that will fix the problem for me. Nope. Still sucks.

Hopefully I can convince myself that the light bearing Enigma isn't going to solve that problem for me and I can save myself $400 by not buying everything to try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    I’m married to Glocks, but it’s an open marriage.

I’ve strayed with P30s (twice, once LEM and once TDA), p320s, Px4s, and 92s. Each time I come back to Glock I shoot them a little better because learning to shoot others well rounds out different aspects of my marksmanship. Consequently it always feels somewhat effortless to pick up a Glock after shooting something else for a while. Especially true with the LEM or TDA (Less so with the 320 but that’s because Sig let me down on building a better mousetrap - shootability for the 320 is outstanding IMO, but i can’t trust them).

Right now I’m down to Glocks and 92s.
    I am very similar.

I have and have carried a G19 for many years. I have owned G21, G30, G23, G22, G24, G26, G34, G42, G43X and of course G19s. I only have the G19 and G42 now. But I always feel like I can "do better". So I am always on the lookout for something better.

I have tried, and ditched:

-Beretta 92 (twice)
    -Beretta PX4 (bad brass to the face )
    -Sig P229 (always felt like it was going to squirt up out of my hands) also P228, P220, P232
    -Browning HP
    -Walther P5 (I really, really wish I had kept this and/or could find something similar today in size and function)

I have not ever tried the M&P but I am kind of itching to try the new Smith Shield Plus but I am concerned it will be too similar to the G43X, which I didn't like.

I am sure that I will find something else to catch my attention.

Being a DINK family in a VLCOL area and no other real hobbies affords me lots of options to waste money.

Site Supporter
    For me, it's the 1911.

In the last 15 years or so, I've had 4 of them, to include a Kimber, and Springer Loaded, RO, and TRP... but I've never been super happy with the reliability or my ability to shoot them well in anything other than slow-fire.

I've now convinced myself that I just didn't spend enough money when I bought previous 1911s and didn't take them seriously enough. So I've spent the last couple of months casually shopping for $2,500-ish 1911s.

It'll be different this time baby, I promise.

I keep coming back to an HK 45C with a light LEM trigger, carried AIWB in a 5ShotLeather SME holster. I think I am on my 6th one of these and every one of these guns has been 100% reliable.

In Massachusetts, where we are limited to 10rds, a neutered Glock, Beretta, etc. is “a lot of gun” to carry with 60% of its designed capacity. I also keep coming back to the realization that shooting a 9, really flat with really fast splits, might not be the end game for me. So 8 or 10rds of 45, carried in a very safe, “double action” hammer-fired gun that always goes bang, is not the worst idea I’ve had in many years of chasing the “one”.

CZ pistols. Good grief I’ve tried the P07, P09, Shadow II, P10, and at least one of the CS75 variants that wasn’t a Shadow. I’m finally over it for good, I think, but damn I tried and tried to make it work without much to show for it except throwing good money after bad.

Then there’s Glocks. I could write a damn book with all my thoughts on Glocks, all the ways I tried to get happy with it, all the ammo and dry fire and work. What I always got in return was shooting performance that was almost as good as what I can get from a 92 or a PX4 (except it takes a lot less effort for me with the pizza pistols). I’m pretty much over the Glock thing for good too (I think).

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    CZ pistols. Good grief I’ve tried the P07, P09, Shadow II, P10, and at least one of the CS75 variants that wasn’t a Shadow. I’m finally over it for good, I think, but damn I tried and tried to make it work without much to show for it except throwing good money after bad.

Then there’s Glocks. I could write a damn book with all my thoughts on Glocks, all the ways I tried to get happy with it, all the ammo and dry fire and work. What I always got in return was shooting performance that was almost as good as what I can get from a 92 or a PX4 (except it takes a lot less effort for me with the pizza pistols). I’m pretty much over the Glock thing for good too (I think).
    What was your difficulty with the CZs?

I have often thought about trying out a CZ75 Compact or a P07 but they are pretty much non-existent in my local area. So I would have to order one.

I haven't had good lock with the Beretta's myself compared to Glock so I would interested in your insight.

Although I haven't tried the 92X Compact yet..... Hmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post
    What was your difficulty with the CZs?

I have often thought about trying out a CZ75 Compact or a P07 but they are pretty much non-existent in my local area. So I would have to order one.

I haven't had good lock with the Beretta's myself compared to Glock so I would interested in your insight.

Although I haven't tried the 92X Compact yet..... Hmmmm.
    Honestly, mostly a failure to manage expectations. Spend enough time on competition centric forums/discussions and it’s pretty easy to get the impression that all ya need is a CZ and it’ll practically destroy the x ring for you, all you have to do is feed it. Of course, that’s unrealistic. Sometimes I get it in my head that all I’m missing to break through to the next level is some Uber pistol. Honest self evaluation shows that’s not the case, but it’s still easy to be tempted to buy a shortcut.

Reality is there are no shortcuts. I know that, even if I temporarily like to conveniently forget it in the name of chasing something better.

That’s the subjective stuff. Objectively speaking:

I don’t like manually lowering a hammer on a range gun and flat will not do it on an SD gun. The decockers on the 75 series guns do not suit me to say the least. I’m not really fond of the decockers on the P-Series guns, but they’re better than the 75 series. I find the DA trigger reach to be a bit longer on the CZs than I do on a Beretta. I score better on every single timed and scored drill with a Beretta than any CZ I’ve ever tried, including running an LTT against a Shadow II. Seems like there are or were one or two more little things that I wasn’t really fond of, but I can’t recall them right now. It’s honestly been over a year since the last time I shot a CZ.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    The other ones are all non-AR pattern semi-auto rifles. I don't know why I keep thinking I can make the AK or a FAL work for me. I can't, it's dumb, I still like rocking big chunk FAL mags into place and running the charging handle. Something about .30 caliber bullets feels 'right'...
    We can hang out.
    Last edited by Guerrero; 04-12-2021 at 02:43 PM.
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    We can hang out.
    I told you to come visit me in Seattle. Was my garage hammock not good enough for you?

User Tag List