Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What guns do you come back to because “It will be different this time”?

For me it was the Browning High Power. I love the gun and think it's one of the sexiest ever made. Unfortunately, my hands are too big or the gun's too small depending on your point of view. I think I've owned four over the years. I guess about every decade I forget the issues I've had with it, or maybe I think FN's building them larger.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Dan Wesson revolvers. I've owned three, two in .357 Mag one in .44 mag, including a complete Model 15 pistol pack. Conceptually I love the idea of the flexibility but every time I go back to them I find the weight balance is wrong for me, I don't shoot them well in DA (though SA they're tack drivers), the forward cylinder release is not intuitive, and in the case of the .44 the weight is just too much for daylong field carry. Still I look at the listings for them every once in awhile...

Another one here for Glocks.

Tried several models of Gen 3. Sold them all.

Rinse and repeat with Gen 4.

Now Gen 5, they just plain work. Not my favorite guns to shoot, but I appreciate them for what they are; tough guns with good capacity to size/weight.

No matter what level of objective success I achieve shooting semi-auto pistols, I always seem to end up shooting revolvers again. I know lots of people think of me as "a revolver guy" and in many ways that's true. I almost made M class in USPSA L10, I finished 4th at IDPA Nationals in CDP, 9th in CCP, won a FAST Coin, made A-class in Steel Challenge, all with a semi-auto. But I keep coming back to revolvers like some kind of crackhead and I really don't know why. I love them sure, but like...am I doing this because people expect me to do it, or am I doing it because I love it?

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    No matter what level of objective success I achieve shooting semi-auto pistols, I always seem to end up shooting revolvers again.

I love them sure, but like...am I doing this because people expect me to do it, or am I doing it because I love it?
    Just preparing yourself for upcoming semi auto bans.

No matter what level of objective success I achieve shooting semi-auto pistols, I always seem to end up shooting revolvers again. I know lots of people think of me as "a revolver guy" and in many ways that's true. I almost made M class in USPSA L10, I finished 4th at IDPA Nationals in CDP, 9th in CCP, won a FAST Coin, made A-class in Steel Challenge, all with a semi-auto. But I keep coming back to revolvers like some kind of crackhead and I really don't know why. I love them sure, but like...am I doing this because people expect me to do it, or am I doing it because I love it?
    For some reason I had a flash of Quigley Down Under there....

Glocks for me, at least 4 tries to make it work. Still no joy..

I love them sure, but like...am I doing this because people expect me to do it, or am I doing it because I love it?
    You’re doing it because watching you run a FAST with a revolver is like a religious experience.

Unless one doesn’t like revolvers, in which case it’s fucking silly. But there are people like me who love revolvers, so you keep on doing it. For the children.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Like @Crow Hunter and @jetfire

Revolvers.

I love them, love them, love them. But objectively, I do not shoot them as well as semi-autos and in particular as well as various '11s. I want to shoot them as well, I try really hard, but timers and B8s don't lie...I'm not as quick or as accurate. I keep going back thinking it'll be different, it isn't.

To dissuade myself from spending too much effort, I've been storing all of my revolvers in long-term bags, in ammo cans, at the bottom and back of the safe with all the long guns on top of them. If I want a revolver, it's an ordeal to get one out right now, which generally dissuades me from getting them out. In fact, I've taken to doing this with all of my non-carry guns.

The other ones are all non-AR pattern semi-auto rifles. I don't know why I keep thinking I can make the AK or a FAL work for me. I can't, it's dumb, I still like rocking big chunk FAL mags into place and running the charging handle. Something about .30 caliber bullets feels 'right'. I think I've 'solved' this problem by going with .300 Blackout where I get my AR-pattern gun in the smaller AR15 size and .30 caliber bullets, without all the compromise inherent in opting for .308 over 5.56.

Site Supporter
    The HK USP series.

In a world with modern Beretta 92's and PX4's, CZ P09's, and HK P30's and HK45's, there's really no damn reason to love the USP. But I love them. In LEM they're LEM weird, with the Match trigger the DA is still trash, match hybrid LEM whatever is a great way to spend a Beretta 92D's worth of money on a trigger configuration that's still objectively worse than the Beretta 92D is out of the box. Nevermind the stupid USP proprietary rail.
    Plus with L&M Precision retiring there's no way to RDS a USP anymore.

But whenever I pick up my USP45 I just love the fucking thing and I want more of them. Then I want to carry them. Then I think about a USP9C or USP40C as a carry gun and remind myself that the HK45C is already enough of a problem with holsters/mags/support etc so WTF am I thinking?

Then I go back to Glocks or Berettas for awhile, then I pick up the USP again..... lather, rinse, repeat.

User Tag List