Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 45

Thread: What guns do you come back to because “It will be different this time”?

  1. #1
    3 YARD SNIPER awp_101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    DFW

    What guns do you come back to because “It will be different this time”?

    For me it’s certainly Glocks and Berettas sort of.

    I have XL hands and M fingers. I have to fight the Glock hump on everything but the 17/34 series. So I get a 19 every couple of years because “I have a better idea of what I’m doing and it will be different this time”. Then it’s not any different and I move it on for something else which is too bad because I really want to like them. They’re like the SBC of the pistol world, easy to work on and stock up parts for (in normal times).

    I have a similar issue with the B92 but I’m still tempted anytime a BrigTac or LTT is listed at a nice price.

    What about you?
    Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain

    All generalizations are incorrect, including this one.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    For me it’s certainly Glocks and Berettas sort of.

    I have XL hands and M fingers. I have to fight the Glock hump on everything but the 17/34 series. So I get a 19 every couple of years because “I have a better idea of what I’m doing and it will be different this time”. Then it’s not any different and I move it on for something else which is too bad because I really want to like them. They’re like the SBC of the pistol world, easy to work on and stock up parts for (in normal times).

    I have a similar issue with the B92 but I’m still tempted anytime a BrigTac or LTT is listed at a nice price.

    What about you?
    Revolvers.

    In the late 90s I bought a 686+4", a 617 4", 640 2.125" and a 686 6"powerport (all before the locks), I really tried to like them and work with them. I finally gave up on them and sold them off. They were always too heavy or awkward except for shooting at the range.

    Since then I have gone back and bought a 642(hurt my hand), 60 3" (hurt my hand), 66-8 2.75" (16 lb trigger and hurt my hand). So they are all gone.

    Now I have a 66-8 4.25", guess what? It also hurts my hand. So I took pictures of it yesterday to try and sell along with all my remaining 38 ammo.

    I also have had but got rid of a pair of ruger vaqueros in 45 acp/45c (heavy and poorly regulated sights), blackhawk 9mm/357 convertible 6.5" (not accurate too big), a flattop 9mm/357 4.75" (heavy), a blackhawk 44 mag (hurt my hand), and Colt Cowboy in 45c (never shot it because of 45c prices).

    I know I am going to get rid of this 66-8 and I will read something somewhere that will convince me that I really "need" another revolver and I will buy another one. Maybe I should favorite this thread for future use.

    I love the panache of a revolver. I like all the benefits I read about a revolver. I like to hold and look at revolvers. I really like reading about revolvers.

    Unfortunately my body and hands do not like carrying or shooting revolvers....😢

  3. #3
    Site Supporter JSGlock34's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    USA
    For me it was RDS sights. I needed quite a few tries before it took. Now #RDSallthethings .

    Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  100.7 KB
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

  4. #4
    Old man yelling at cloud OlongJohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    "carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post
    Revolvers.
    ...

    I know I am going to get rid of this 66-8 and I will read something somewhere that will convince me that I really "need" another revolver and I will buy another one. Maybe I should favorite this thread for future use.

    I love the panache of a revolver. I like all the benefits I read about a revolver. I like to hold and look at revolvers. I really like reading about revolvers.

    Unfortunately my body and hands do not like carrying or shooting revolvers....😢
    You just need to find the right grips/stocks. Which might involve a new minor hobby of woodworking on your part.

    Those legendary stock makers of SoCal LE in decades past didn't get that way by purchasing what they could buy off the shelf.

    @Lex Luthier
    @Maple Syrup Actual

    The bolded part applies to single actions for me, but I don't even really like holding them, it turns out.

    I haven't gotten too strong an itch to replace any of the guns I've sold, but I do wish I could like a G19. And I keep looking at small-frame revolvers I haven't owned yet.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 04-11-2021 at 05:56 PM.
    .
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    You just need to find the right grips/stocks. Which might involve a new minor hobby of woodworking on your part.

    Those legendary stock makers of SoCal LE in decades past didn't get that way by purchasing what they could buy off the shelf.

    @Lex Luthier
    @Maple Syrup Actual

    The bolded part applies to single actions for me, but I don't even really like holding them, it turns out.

    I haven't gotten too strong an itch to replace any of the guns I've sold, but I do wish I could like a G19. And I keep looking at small-frame revolvers I haven't owned yet.
    I actually shot it yesterday for several rounds in just single action. While it didn't hurt the base of my thumb like double action, I did find it unpleasant enough that I don't think finding better stocks will improve my shooting experience. I don't know if I am getting arthritis or just skinny hands. I also turn of vibration on my Xbox games because I find it unpleasant. Maybe I just have sensitive hands.

    I guess if I can't sell it for what I want I might hold on to it until I can find a gp100 to trade it for and see if I can get a more recoil absorbing grip that doesn't have too long of a trigger reach. Since it has a grip peg and is heavier than a k frame.

    However, I had a s&w 60 3" with both pachmayr compacs and hogue tamer grips and I still found recoil of 130gr 38 unpleasant enough to get rid of both a standard 1st and the a pro version since i didn't learn my lesson the first time.

    I really like my model 63 3" and wanted a companion center fire. The 63 doesn't hurt my hand at all. Even with wood grips. 😁

    Eta

    I "know" that I will wind up buying a lipsey flattop blackhawk stainless 45acp/45c knowing full well that i have no real use for it and it will probably hurt my hand too. But I know i will if i ever see them offered again. Even though my old inherited single six is the last .22 I ever grab for anything.

    It is what i do.😕
    Last edited by Crow Hunter; 04-11-2021 at 07:43 PM.

  6. #6
    happy sharps enabler Totem Polar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    PacNW
    “J-frame, I wish I knew how to quit you.”
    ”It's important to remember that ALL news media is a consumer product. Just like soda and fast food, they don't have any incentive to make it good for you, just addictive enough for you to keep coming back for more.”
    -Nephrology

  7. #7
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    In the desert, looking for water.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post
    I actually shot it yesterday for several rounds in just single action. While it didn't hurt the base of my thumb like double action, I did find it unpleasant enough that I don't think finding better stocks will improve my shooting experience. I don't know if I am getting arthritis or just skinny hands. I also turn of vibration on my Xbox games because I find it unpleasant. Maybe I just have sensitive hands.

    I guess if I can't sell it for what I want I might hold on to it until I can find a gp100 to trade it for and see if I can get a more recoil absorbing grip that doesn't have too long of a trigger reach. Since it has a grip peg and is heavier than a k frame.

    However, I had a s&w 60 3" with both pachmayr compacs and hogue tamer grips and I still found recoil of 130gr 38 unpleasant enough to get rid of both a standard 1st and the a pro version since i didn't learn my lesson the first time.

    I really like my model 63 3" and wanted a companion center fire. The 63 doesn't hurt my hand at all. Even with wood grips. 😁

    Eta

    I "know" that I will wind up buying a lipsey flattop blackhawk stainless 45acp/45c knowing full well that i have no real use for it and it will probably hurt my hand too. But I know i will if i ever see them offered again. Even though my old inherited single six is the last .22 I ever grab for anything.

    It is what i do.😕
    Have you tried a different .38 Special load? Maybe a 148gr target wadcutter? A heavier load to compare the 130 to?

    Do you want to borrow a pair of Herrett Ropers?

    .38 was the first metallic cartridge I loaded for, and still the most frequent one. One thing I love about it as a hand loader is the flexibility I get from it: loads that barely recoil more than a .22 rimfire up to .38/44 loads (which I don’t shoot a lot of, but are nice to be able to have available).

    One thing I load for is tolerable practice loads for my 642. What I’m using most right now is a hollow base 105gr .358 lead round nose with a light powder charge. In a 642, I can shoot that load for a whole box, or even more, and not think I’m an idiot masochist, unlike when inshoot full power 158gr lead or 125gr JHP +P. When I shoot it or even a bit heavier load in a steel K frame or my 28-2, they are just straight up fun.

    I usually find that 130gr FMJ isn’t too obnoxious in heavier guns, but isn’t a lot of fun in a light J.

    Just some of my thoughts on the .38 Special. I won’t be without one or more. I have ... a few. And I really just consider the .357s as .38s that can shoot any load I need to put in them, but I rarely shoot any .357s, even from my Marlin lever.

  8. #8
    Site Supporter LOKNLOD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma
    I’m married to Glocks, but it’s an open marriage.

    I’ve strayed with P30s (twice, once LEM and once TDA), p320s, Px4s, and 92s. Each time I come back to Glock I shoot them a little better because learning to shoot others well rounds out different aspects of my marksmanship. Consequently it always feels somewhat effortless to pick up a Glock after shooting something else for a while. Especially true with the LEM or TDA (Less so with the 320 but that’s because Sig let me down on building a better mousetrap - shootability for the 320 is outstanding IMO, but i can’t trust them).

    Right now I’m down to Glocks and 92s.
    --Josh

  9. #9
    vaccinated & maskless fatdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Central Alabama
    HK, LEM in particular...while it remains Mrs. Fatdog's gun, HK and I are sorta separated right now.

  10. #10
    Site Supporter farscott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Athens, AL, USA
    CCO configuration 1911-pattern pistols is the one I have tried multiple times (original Colt CCO twice and Baer Stinger multiple times) with the same outcome. On paper, the short grip frame and longer slide make sense. In the holster, the short grip frame makes things easy. Shooting the CCO is where it falls apart, and I do much better with the full-size five-inch pistol.

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •