Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Army officer sues Virginia police over violent traffic stop

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    How many officers have shot military members in uniform?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    How many officers have pointed guns at military members in uniform?

Just say’n - it’s a short leap from the first to the second.

Site Supporter
    Does it really matter if this person is a lieutenant.
    That is known after the fact.
    The actions of the officers and the way they said those words make me question their actions.
    While I’m not asking officers to be Andy Griffith. A temp sign in the rear window is hard to see at night. Especially with most rear windows being tinted of some sort on vehicles. when taped to the inside it’s definitely hard to see.
    If the person had a gun beside his seat he had reason to be scared. The conflicting orders woulda had me scared.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    He had a temporary tag in the back window.
    VA may be different but in most states that is not proper display. How visible is it on a road at night through tint ?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    Maybe Governor Blackface should sit this one out.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    I’m extremely sympathetic to the LT here.
    Cops have pulled him over, and are suddenly pointing guns at him.
    He’s asking reasonable questions.
    He has a gun beside his seat, and is being told:
    “Keep your hands outside the window”
    “Take your seatbelt off”
    “Get out of the vehicle”

Can’t do all at once. And he REALLY doesn’t want to reach for the seatbelt buckle, which is near the gun, while the cop holds a gun on him, and may see the gun at exactly the wrong moment.

Was the LT not complying? Yes - but passively (partially for the reasons I just mentioned). And he was respectful, and very deliberate about being non-threatening.
    Having once been a 20-something 2nd Lt, I can very much put myself in this young man’s place.

I also always default to giving the policeman on the scene the benefit of the doubt. But, having watched this video, the officer who first approached the window was unnecessarily aggressive. When there’s a young man in uniform with his hands out the window, it’s time to start slowly deescalating and actually having some conversation. Or at least not escalate to pepper spray so rapidly.
    And the same officer didn’t do his department any favors when he started negotiating, while talking about what they COULD charge the LT with.
    If I was his CO, or his CO’s boss, or his boss (pretty much where I eventually wound up), I’d watch that video and back him.

In my view, the first officer to approach got carried away. The other officer (the one who had just graduated from “Rookie School”) seemed to have better instincts to give the LT credit for wanting to comply, but being fearful.

This is the first footage I’ve seen that makes me really believe that black “suspects” get treated differently. And that really makes me sad.
    I need to think about the implications some more. But I suspect there are thousands of people who will watch that bodycam video and have their “racist cop” beliefs confirmed. And others (maybe me) who will come to understand the problem in a way they didn’t before.
    What a bunch of bullshit.

There was passive and active resistance. That guy was not acting like anyone that was scared. He video’d it and got exactly what he wanted. Guy jerked away and refused to get out of the vehicle after numerous lawful commands before he got sprayed.

Yeah, commands could have been better (though they’re not as bad as some people act like), tactics could have been better. Bottom line, all he had to do was pull over. Instead, he wanted a payday, and he’ll get one.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    How many officers have pointed guns at military members in uniform?

Just say’n - it’s a short leap from the first to the second.

Plenty of other examples, including a sailor that was in a shots-fired incident today with LE in Hawaii, the Navy Corpsman that was killed by police— and that’s just in the last few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    How many officers have shot military members in uniform?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Woodard

Southern police and soldiers have a history.

Whenever I've bought a new car in Virginia, I've been given a temporary tag that is the same size as a permanent license plate, and is printed on some plastic-type paper. It mounts in the same place as a regular license plate.

Site Supporter
    Okay, I respect your perspective.

But you need to understand... I’m a white, middle-aged retired military officer.
    I support law enforcement officers by default.

I’m not just middle-America, I’m Right / Blue America.

And this bothers me. I still see a guy assuming that because he’s a “good guy”, he’ll be treated as a good guy.

And I’m assuming the “bunch of bullshit” is the LT’s behavior, not my observations / interpretations of it.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    What a bunch of bullshit.

There was passive and active resistance. That guy was not acting like anyone that was scared. He video’d it and got exactly what he wanted. Guy jerked away and refused to get out of the vehicle after numerous lawful commands before he got sprayed.

Yeah, commands could have been better (though they’re not as bad as some people act like), tactics could have been better. Bottom line, all he had to do was pull over. Instead, he wanted a payday, and he’ll get one.

Plenty of other examples, including a sailor that was in a shots-fired incident today with LE in Hawaii, the Navy Corpsman that was killed by police— and that’s just in the last few days.

Quote Originally Posted by trailrunner View Post
    Whenever I've bought a new car in Virginia, I've been given a temporary tag that is the same size as a permanent license plate, and is printed on some plastic-type paper. It mounts in the same place as a regular license plate.
    That’s what I found in the VA code. I kinda doubt this guy mounted it improperly on purpose and then went for a drive in uniform, dog in the crate in the back. I suspect the dealer threw it on there that way.
    #RESIST

User Tag List