Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast

Thread: Army officer sues Virginia police over violent traffic stop

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    After he gets the ticket, he tells the officer that he feels like he'll have to speed to make up for lost time and tries to shift blame for that to the officer.

Does anyone else get the impression that nothing is ever this guy's fault?

Okie John
    I've had to deal with this personality type at work before.

At some point in your fury of frustration you realize this person wakes up and crafts detailed and well thought out narratives on how the world actually does revolve around them.

After he gets the ticket, he tells the officer that he feels like he'll have to speed to make up for lost time and tries to shift blame for that to the officer.

Does anyone else get the impression that nothing is ever this guy's fault?

Okie John
    Reminds me of when I got stopped riding two up on my motorcycle with my wife in AZ, getting ready to cross over to CO.

Got pulled over by an AZ highway officer for going a little too enthusiastically. Once he realized I was an LEO he and I just shot the breeze for several minutes, he gave me some patches, and after keeping me there long enough to look like he had done his job, (and given me his phone number and address to send him patches and stay in touch), he sent us on our way.

As I was getting on the bike I asked him if he realized how fast I'd have to go to make up for the time I'd spent b.s.'ing with him. The look on his face was priceless until he realized I was pulling his leg.

Back on topic...

Yeah, some folks...nothing's ever their fault. Ever.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

He's a Guardsman. Per the Washington Post, he was commissioned in the Virginia National Guard in December 2016 and works as an Army Health Services Administration officer.

https://www.goarmy.com/careers-and-j...nistrator.html

Okie John
    He was commissioned in 2016 and is still a 2LT? How does that work?

Quote Originally Posted by VT1032 View Post
    Good point. Even if we’re charitable and say that his MOS doesn’t have many slots, that’s still a long time to be a butterbar.

ETA: Just spoke to a very senior Guard officer. She maintains that there’s more to the story. Promotion to 1LT is automatic at 18-24 months.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Furthermore, if he was 21 or 22 when he was commissioned, then that would make him 25 or 26 when these incidents occurred in late 2020. By then, he should have updated his license to a horizontal license.

Quote Originally Posted by trailrunner View Post
    Furthermore, if he was 21 or 22 when he was commissioned, then that would make him 25 or 26 when these incidents occurred in late 2020. By then, he should have updated his license to a horizontal license.
    You don't understand. Rules are for other people to follow.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Reminds me of when I got stopped riding two up on my motorcycle with my wife in AZ, getting ready to cross over to CO.

Got pulled over by an AZ highway officer for going a little too enthusiastically. Once he realized I was an LEO he and I just shot the breeze for several minutes, he gave me some patches, and after keeping me there long enough to look like he had done his job, (and given me his phone number and address to send him patches and stay in touch), he sent us on our way.

As I was getting on the bike I asked him if he realized how fast I'd have to go to make up for the time I'd spent b.s.'ing with him. The look on his face was priceless until he realized I was pulling his leg.

Back on topic...

Yeah, some folks...nothing's ever their fault. Ever.
    I've been stopped a few times in WA. When the police run my vehicle license they see my carry permit. The conversations are usually pretty relaxed and friendly.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Good point. Even if we’re charitable and say that his MOS doesn’t have many slots, that’s still a long time to be a butterbar.

ETA: Just spoke to a very senior Guard officer. She maintains that there’s more to the story. Promotion to 1LT is automatic at 18-24 months.

Okie John
    Max time in grade for 2lt is 42 months so he must have gotten a bunch of waivers or something. The only other thing I can think of is that he might have been part of the early commissioning program, which would mean he would commission as a ~19yo sophomore without a degree and then spend 2 years as a non-bolc qualified 2lt in the guard before graduating. If that's what he did, he's legit, but otherwise there is some hinky shit going on with his rank.

Max time in grade for 2lt is 42 months so he must have gotten a bunch of waivers or something. The only other thing I can think of is that he might have been part of the early commissioning program, which would mean he would commission as a ~19yo sophomore without a degree and then spend 2 years as a non-bolc qualified 2lt in the guard before graduating. If that's what he did, he's legit, but otherwise there is some hinky shit going on with his rank.
    That could also explain the Honor Guard tab, which tends to be an enlisted-guy thing. Things appear to be irregular but it’s all still plausible, so I’m not willing to deep-fry this guy just yet.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    That could also explain the Honor Guard tab, which tends to be an enlisted-guy thing. Things appear to be irregular but it’s all still plausible, so I’m not willing to deep-fry this guy just yet.

Okie John
    Maybe not over his military rank/career, but I’d never wholly trust someone who whines like he did during that second posted video. In my experience a person who won’t accept responsibility for their actions will also be the first person who will happily throw somebody else under the bus if they think it will get them out of trouble.

On the 54 in a 35 I think @TGS might be on to something. I was once pulled over by a trooper who informed me that I was riding a number >20mph over. I told him according to my speedometer he was correct. When he brought back the ticket for me to sign it was written for 19 over. He didn’t say a word about that, he just thanked me for not running and told me to slow down. I replied “y’all have good day and be safe” and yet another uneventful LE/civ interaction occured.
    Last edited by Caballoflaco; 04-16-2021 at 12:51 PM.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

User Tag List