Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Army officer sues Virginia police over violent traffic stop

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Probably, I just can’t find anything definitive in VA code either way and I haven’t seen enough temp tags to know otherwise.
    A quick glance shows that it must be on the rear of the vehicle. It must also be illuminated by a white light and visible from 50' away. *HOWEVER* at least as of March 1 of this year, the lack of a light cannot be the sole stopping charge.

"B. Except as otherwise provided in this article or permitted by federal law, it shall be unlawful for any person to operate any motor vehicle on a highway with any sign, poster, colored or tinted film, sun-shading material, or other colored material on the windshield, front or rear side windows, or rear windows of such motor vehicle. This provision, however, shall not apply to any certificate or other paper required by law or permitted by the Superintendent to be placed on a motor vehicle's windshield or window."

Not sure if the temp plate falls under the listed exemptions. It wouldn't here. Like I said, common practice but not legal. A reason to stop, but few people would actually write it.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by trailrunner View Post
    How does this relate to this incident?
    There is a past between nonwhite soldiers and police in the South.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    All I saw here was a cracker LEO who gets wound up real tight when things aren't going to plan. The VSP police would probably have handled it differently. Pulling a weapon on a traffic stop unless there is clear and present danger doesn't seem like a normal reaction to me. My guess the LEO is looking for another job once the city settles.
    Weapons drawn is SOP during a felony stop, which this started off as.

If you think VSP would put up with that guy’s shit, you are mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    Weapons drawn is SOP during a felony stop, which this started off as.

If you think VSP would put up with that guy’s shit, you are mistaken.
    What was the felony? I've driven a vehicle with temp license in my back window without being stopped. Is it different in VA?
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

The stories I read were that the police officer that initiated the stop did not see a license plate. That is plausible because a) there was no plate (permanent or temporary) where one normally would have been and b) the temporary tag was in an unfamiliar place, and behind a tinted window, which might have been difficult to see since it was dark. So he may have never seen the temporary tag at all when he initiated the stop.

What was the felony?
    I would be tempted to charge someone with felony evading if they took a mile to stop, depending on the circumstances.

But there doesn’t have to be felony to “felony stop” someone. It’s just a term. I think they call them “hot stops” out west.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    Instead, he wanted a payday, and he’ll get one.
    That was my take on it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by trailrunner View Post
    The stories I read were that the police officer that initiated the stop did not see a license plate. That is plausible because a) there was no plate (permanent or temporary) where one normally would have been and b) the temporary tag was in an unfamiliar place, and behind a tinted window, which might have been difficult to see since it was dark. So he may have never seen the temporary tag at all when he initiated the stop.
    I’m sure this is true for many others here, but I’ve stopped numerous cars in similar circumstances, and never seen the paper tag until after I lit the vehicle up or walked up to the car.

Site Supporter
    Name:  Screen Shot 2021-04-11 at 6.18.14 PM.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  43.4 KB

The rookie (who called in the felony stop) shifts to a pretty um, nonstandard firing grip as the older cop is approaching.

Site Supporter
    What was the felony?
    Nothing. The totality that the officers had to look at regarding the actions of the person?
    I think this person got off easy because after they found out he was a serving officer.
    But that’s my opinion.

User Tag List