Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rectangular Revolver Grips?

Hammertime

Rectangular Revolver Grips?

As I have been working with the wee J frame more, I find I have some difficulty indexing the grip in a lateral plane. Much more difficulty than I would have with say a G42 or LCP. Sometimes I get this which is perfect. Name:  C1E2924B-1E23-4149-84D0-C2DB16917324.jpeg
Views: 470
Size:  67.9 KBSometimes I get this which is less than ideal.

The rest of my post got eaten in a glitch but should have said:

I realize Revolvers have been around a lot longer than me. And that the problem is probably more how I am ripping than the grip itself. However, is there a more rectangular type revolver grip that is not so rounded that may help me with my indexing?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Doc_Glock; 04-11-2021 at 12:54 PM.

Hammertime
    Whatever glitch is messing up the post is also messing up the photos. Hopefully y’all can puzzle out that sometimes I get a grip that is pretty off laterally.

Revolvers don’t Have a nice place to put my first web like a small semi auto does. It’s possible o just need to totally rebuild how I grip the things.

It might be worth trying a grip that covers the back strap. The Taurus boot grips for instance stand proud enough off the rear frame to make establishing a consistent grip pretty natural.

ETA a photo showing what I mean:

Name:  20210411_115849.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  70.0 KB

Herrett Shooting Ace might be what you are looking for:

Name:  Herrett J Shooting Ace.jpg
Size:  56.4 KB

Pretty flat, extends the reach.

Name:  Herrett J Shooting Ace-3.jpg
Views: 574
Size:  50.9 KB
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

The Barami Hip-Grip is fairly wide in the butt and can make things feel square-ish. It was once common to put them on a revolver even if one didn't want the belt tongue. They'd just cut and grin it off because they like the grip profile. Being cheap molded jobs, they require deburring and some filing even with the backstrap rather often, though.

They're common on Ebay and dirt cheap as a test of your theory before committing to other options.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    It might be worth trying a grip that covers the back strap. The Taurus boot grips for instance stand proud enough off the rear frame to make establishing a consistent grip pretty natural.

Taurus grip is pretty blocky and square. Too much so for my taste. Will put in another vote for the Sile J frame grip, which is fairly cheap on fleabay, last I looked.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post

I see that VZ sells a wrap around grip and that may be the ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    I see that VZ sells a wrap around grip and that may be the ticket.
    No experience with VZ's, but if it they create an easy tactile distinction between grip and frame I definitely think that will help. Taurus and Pachymayr wraparound grips both do that for me on J's. Otherwise grip fit and preference are a very personal thing. Think you'll find most of the folks that have played with small frame revolvers awhile have the notorious box full of grips. Hope you find your perfect fit first time out!

Between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    As I have been working with the wee J frame more, I find I have some difficulty indexing the grip in a lateral plane. Much more difficulty than I would have with say a G42 or LCP. Sometimes I get this which is perfect. Name:  C1E2924B-1E23-4149-84D0-C2DB16917324.jpeg
Views: 470
Size:  67.9 KBSometimes I get this which is less than ideal.

The rest of my post got eaten in a glitch but should have said:

I realize Revolvers have been around a lot longer than me. And that the problem is probably more how I am ripping than the grip itself. However, is there a more rectangular type revolver grip that is not so rounded that may help me with my indexing?
    So as I understand it, in aeronautical terms you are having trouble with "yaw." I get that naturally with the Beretta PX4, and the "fix" was training myself to index it differently than what came naturally.

In revolvers, I dislike the SP101 factory grip because it is about as wide as it is fore-and-aft, and I might as well be holding a piece of 1" x 1" lumber with the edges radiused... they can "yaw" on me something fierce. Some people love 'em, but I found that I much prefer the big, but almost Farrant-shaped CTC grips or some flavor of Hogue monogrip.

It has been a while since my J-frame days, but I liked the Uncle Mike's grips of the time.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Pachmayr Grippers of all things give me a much more slab side 1911 "feel", that I really like.

User Tag List