Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rectangular Revolver Grips?

I don't see what kind of grips you're running.

You might try open backstrap, no finger grooves. It will drive your hand deeper under the trigger guard and higher onto the hump.

The Hideout Grips by Precision Gun Specialities might work well for you: http://www.precisiongun.com/

Brownells stocks them, but are out of stock right now: https://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...-prod9924.aspx

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    So as I understand it, in aeronautical terms you are having trouble with "yaw."
    That is 100% a great description. Need a longer rudder!

Just stole this from over on VZ's website.

This is a general edification post that might help folks who are having trouble with revolver stocks.

If you look here, it's counter-intuitive but the longer wrap-around grips will make your hand sit lower on the gun and tend to result in twisting in the hand (yaw). The reason is because unlike a semi-auto, the actual grip frame of a revolver extends well above the trigger guard, the bore axis in a revolver is quite low overall.

Grips that fill-in between the frame and trigger guard, automatically move the hand lower on the hump, the more they fill in between the trigger guard and grip frame, the lower the hand gets.

Add in a covered backstrap and you push the gun up and forward relative to the hand (again forcing the gun to sit higher).

You can counter this by removing "fill-in" on one or both sides of the grip frame. If you go from a wrap around to a standard grip (shown here), it seems counter-intuitive, but you'll get more hand around the gun and it will sit deeper in the hand, because the backstrap is no longer pushing the gun up in your palm. If you go to the boot grips your hand will get even higher (gun even lower) on the gun, because your fingers are driving higher into the trigger-guard/grip-frame gap than with the standard grip.

You'll see from time to time, pictures of old timer guns that used basically just the upper-most portion of a grip adapter from Pachymar or Tyler along with regular stocks. This is a grip setup that will get you HIGH on the hump and low to the bore.

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 12.57.53 PM.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  21.8 KB

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    You forgot Bill Jordan's design, which both fills in behind the trigger guard to prevent Glock Knuckle and allows you to get your hand nice and high on the back strap. And keeps you from having to use your second knuckle's "power crease" when you have big hands.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Just stole this from over on VZ's website.

This is a general edification post that might help folks who are having trouble with revolver stocks.

If you look here, it's counter-intuitive but the longer wrap-around grips will make your hand sit lower on the gun and tend to result in twisting in the hand (yaw). The reason is because unlike a semi-auto, the actual grip frame of a revolver extends well above the trigger guard, the bore axis in a revolver is quite low overall.

Grips that fill-in between the frame and trigger guard, automatically move the hand lower on the hump, the more they fill in between the trigger guard and grip frame, the lower the hand gets.

Add in a covered backstrap and you push the gun up and forward relative to the hand (again forcing the gun to sit higher).

You can counter this by removing "fill-in" on one or both sides of the grip frame. If you go from a wrap around to a standard grip (shown here), it seems counter-intuitive, but you'll get more hand around the gun and it will sit deeper in the hand, because the backstrap is no longer pushing the gun up in your palm. If you go to the boot grips your hand will get even higher (gun even lower) on the gun, because your fingers are driving higher into the trigger-guard/grip-frame gap than with the standard grip.

You'll see from time to time, pictures of old timer guns that used basically just the upper-most portion of a grip adapter from Pachymar or Tyler along with regular stocks. This is a grip setup that will get you HIGH on the hump and low to the bore.

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 12.57.53 PM.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  21.8 KB
    Yes, designs like the Taurus boot raise the bore axis and can actually change POA vs. POI because of the change in recoil interaction (sometimes in good ways, sometimes in bad). Based on the pics it's looking like OP is having inconsistencies in grip though moreso than recoil control. This is where I think the wraparound will help by better ensuring a consistent placement of the hand. On the advantages of a higher grip and hand deeper up behind the trigger guard: YMMV but, for instance, our 640 came with smooth micarta magnas and, at least for me, all the advantages of a higher grip didn't help. Control was poor in actual draw and shooting. Traditional checkered wood magnas were better but not by much. Then again different hand sizing leads to different grip suitability for different folks. And the smaller the grip frame the more sensitive to grip design the revolver becomes.

I have Hogue boot grips on one of my 642s, You could probably just practice drawing it and get used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    You forgot Bill Jordan's design, which both fills in behind the trigger guard to prevent Glock Knuckle and allows you to get your hand nice and high on the back strap. And keeps you from having to use your second knuckle's "power crease" when you have big hands.
    Yea, but I don't have gargantuan Jordan-esque hands. So all they do for me is push the gun higher almost like squeezing a bar of soap through my hand. Especially if they're smooth grips.

For me, XL-palms, M-length fingers, smaller revolver stocks are usually better. There is of course a place of vanishing returns as @Half Moon noted things like Magnas are the extreme of basically 'no stocks' and produce whole different dynamics. I find open back grips with a decent fill in between trigger guard and grip frame like the VZ Boot or VZ Standard work best for me.

Between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    That is 100% a great description. Need a longer rudder!
    Gotta add rudder when shooting these rotaries!
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Pachmayr Compacs have been the best fit for my hands. I still need to find someone to make me a few sets in either wood or something like G10. I'm not a big rubber grip fan.

User Tag List