Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Info on a heavy bag

Quote Originally Posted by DC_P View Post
    I exercise a lot, so am starting from a decent base, but I am wondering more and more whether starting something like this now may be a bit too much for my 53 year old joints and bones to take. Still considering it, but it could be too involved to do correctly than I want to dedicate to it.
    I didn't start really training until I was almost 30. I'm older now . I have joint issues all over (to the point where I think I may have some underlying condition) but other than some minor hyperextension of the elbow, striking has kept me pretty injury-free. As a frame of reference I hover around 225 lbs, mostly north of that!

Where are you located? To me striking is like golf – the movements are basic, but should be done precisely and can be mastered over a lifetime. As long as you start with a solid foundation, to include proper wraps and gloves as mentioned above, I think you'll do just fine.

10 hard rounds on the heavy bag is a brutal full body workout, with (IMO) excellent real-world benefits. If you can find a friend, padwork is great too.

On the unlikely chance that anyone wants a heavy bag/speed bag combo, I have been trying to give one away for years. Long time ago, the guy who taught me (or more accurately tried to teach me) how to shoot skeet, went MGTOW and begged me to go see his wife and look at their house as I was in the market then and I think he wanted it sold so they could settle up. So I went to see the house and it was pretty much the opposite of what I was looking for (no land, tiny kitchen, home owner's association, etc. etc.) but to get out of the awkward situation he had gotten me into, I bought the punching bags off her. So I loaded the parts into my truck, stored it at work until I bought a house where I set it up, hit the heavy bag a couple of times and eventually took it down after I got tired of it setting off the alarm's motion detector and generally taking up space.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

I stumbled upon your post and couldn't help but reply. It sounds like you've been trying to give away a heavy bag/speed bag combo for quite some time. That's really generous of you! I got a kick out of your story about how you ended up with the punching bags.

User Tag List