Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Info on a heavy bag

Info on a heavy bag

I am considering getting a heavy bag to workout with. I have had no formal fight training beyond basic self defense and have never used any type of punching bag, so would be interested in any workout tips as well. This would be just for 'useful fitness' training as a supplement to the strength and cardio I already do (and so I can run less in the hot summer months), not anything more specific than that.

Thanks
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

The single best workout tip I could give you for this would be to learn how to wrap your hands correctly and wear bag gloves or boxing mitts appropriate to your bag weight and punching power.

Potential for bone spurs, osteoarthritis, and long term wrist and hand pain is high from workouts like this if done without appropriate levels of protection. Especially for those newer guys who aren’t used to using a heavy bag and are prone to punching directly against the momentum of an incoming swing of the heavy bag.

(As an ACSM certified trainer with wrist x-rays that match that of an elderly arthritis patient from doing a poor job of that in my teens and 20’s).
    Powered by Moderna

Quote Originally Posted by NoTacTravis View Post
    The single best workout tip I could give you for this would be to learn how to wrap your hands correctly and wear bag gloves or boxing mitts appropriate to your bag weight and punching power.

Potential for bone spurs, osteoarthritis, and long term wrist and hand pain is high from workouts like this if done without appropriate levels of protection. Especially for those newer guys who aren’t used to using a heavy bag and are prone to punching directly against the momentum of an incoming swing of the heavy bag.

(As an ACSM certified trainer with wrist x-rays that match that of an elderly arthritis patient from doing a poor job of that in my teens and 20’s).
    This. I forget what the statistic is on how many guns purchased actually get shot regularly as opposed to shot once and stuck in a drawer and forgotten about, but I imagine it's a pretty similar ratio to how many heavy bags get hung in a garage and forgotten about the first time somebody hurts their hand.

I would buy a used bag and spend the money saved on paying a guy to teach you how to wrap your hands and punch correctly. Get an interval timer if you don't already have one.

It’s been a few years since I did intervals on a bag but I preferred bags like these when I last did them:
    http://muaythaisource.com/product/fa...led-heavy-bag/
    The one in front for hands, one in back if you’re adding in more bodywork or leg kicks.

But the 6 foot hanging straight drop ones that also have a bottom strap to chain to the floor can be pretty nice for those that aren’t heavyweight power punchers. On those, if you’re breaking the straps on the bottom chain it’s because you’re not training right, not because you hit so hard.

At the time I was 170 pounds and pretty much featherfisted with regards to punching power. When I was doing it right I was wearing wraps and 14oz fairtex gloves. Still, if I was doing that part over, I would use 16oz gloves.

How you hang the bag matters the about as much as how you mount an optic IMO too. Bags mounted to a full rack system work well, and I can’t tell a difference between that and one mounted to a hole drilled through a steel I beam. But stands that sit on the floor and hang the bag off the arms are generally iffy. Anything freestanding like a Bob bag or Century Wavemaster is terrible.

A good place to start is with a 6 foot bag bought from something like Title or Ringside with a “stuff it yourself with old tshirts option”. Hang from STURDY rafter with appropriate hardware. Buy 3 sets of wraps and a laundry bag to launder them in after each session. (Don’t start a staph farm in your garage by re-using sweaty unwashed wraps and gloves.). 16oz proper gloves not from a big box sports store and some glove dog drying inserts so you don’t breed staph in your gloves.

That’s my “get a Glock 19” recommendation.

*edit* post above me is great too. Someone’s used bag is a great choice if you can! *edit*