Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shoot Me Vest: When Did I Get Old?

Vests appear to have come back into style. I see many different styles and colors in clothing catalogs that arrive in my mailbox. Most all of the catalogs are not gun or hunting related.

I have a bunch of vests, most are not "photographers" vests, and wear them a lot. I don't get a second look.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by muzzleblast View Post
    I cohabited with a beagle for almost 18 years. He was a smart and willful creature. From the start it seems his whole being was fixated on dominating me. We developed an understanding after he became aware of the fact that I was capable of sudden, seemingly uncontrollable fits of rage resulting in unpleasant outcomes for the beagle. He particularly came to fear the possibility of being "mercilessly beaten" with my ever present baseball cap. Ultimately we shared co-ownership of each other. I sure miss Scooter.

He was a trailing dog and had an amazing nose. I know exactly what you mean about trying to keep up with one that is running a rabbit. Watching a working dog do what has been bred into their genes is one of life's truly great pleasures. And a pleasure that far too few people get to enjoy.
    I posted in "feel good images" a few weeks back about the beagle puppy my wife and I were going to pick up in Albuquerque, NM on March 27, and included a photo. We have him home. His name is Dewey. House training has already begun and he is doing very well. Behavioral training with a trainer starts tomorrow afternoon at 3 PM.

He is a handful, without a doubt. But he is the third beagle I have owned (one made it to the age of 16 and the other 12). If there is anything beagle ownership has taught me, it is patience. All the challenges with the other two was repaid many times over before they crossed the rainbow bridge. I'm positive it will be the case with Dewey, too!

Oh, and I wear a vest at all the IDPA matches in which I participate, but just can't bring myself to using one for daily wear 99.5% of the time. Living in Phoenix, AZ area makes that pretty easy due to the weather!

Updated photo of Dewey included:

Name:  4B09773A-0D06-4E1A-97B1-00150B3B151A.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  57.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by MickAK View Post
    Get a Hill People Gear kit bag, because having a fanny pack strapped to your chest is different...for some reason.
    Over my dead body.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    So...what’s your favorite Fanny pack?
    I do actually own one, inherited from the same cool lady. But it's actually a small daypack that folds down into a fanny pack base when not in use. She used it for shopping as it'd carry phone and wallet then expand for the groceries or whatever. Still haven't brought myself to give it a try. May take a few more head injuries to bring me that low.

Quote Originally Posted by muzzleblast View Post
    Watching a working dog do what has been bred into their genes is one of life's truly great pleasures. And a pleasure that far too few people get to enjoy.
    It's one of life's purest and most wholesome experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    @Wheeler

I think what you're seeing is just that some things are acceptable in certain contexts, but that still doesn't mean they're acceptable in others. Example:

Open carrying a .44 Magnum in a rural area is fine. Doing so in a suburban area is going to draw unwanted attention.

Concealing a gun while wearing nice jeans, chelsea boots, a dress shirt and nice blazer is fine in many suburban/urban areas. Doing so in rural or poor areas will draw unwanted attention.

Wearing a fanny pack as a tourist, in tourist places, is fine. Wearing a fanny pack to starbucks, Sheetz, the office, or wherever during your daily life not as a tourist in non-tourist areas will draw unwanted attention.

Wearing a photographers vest as a.......photographer, media, fisherman, etc......is fine. Wearing a photographers vest as you go to your kids' school function (or any place that doesn't permit CCW) will draw unwanted attention.

etc etc
    Well-stated, sir.

I will add that, if one has a serious camera, slung on a strap, everyone seems quite comfortable with the small, medium, or large bag, or pouch, that one is also toting. Of course, some places do not tolerate cameras well, or may tolerate photography, but specifically prohibit “professional” gear, such as DSLRs and/or tripods. Indeed, context matters.

Crowded touristy areas, in particular, will often prohibit using camera/video tripods, specifically citing the tripping hazard posed by the spread tripod legs. So, using a tripod bag to tote a compact long gun will not float well, in such places.

Some places, that do not tolerate photography, have been OK with my pro-level DSLR, on a sling, if there is a “body cap” affixed, rather than a lens, especially if I smile, act personable, and spend money there. Of course, the bag, containing the detached lens, may well contain stuff other than lenses.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by MickAK View Post
    Get a Hill People Gear kit bag, because having a fanny pack strapped to your chest is different...for some reason.
    Another vote pf confidence, in the Kit Bag. Excellent product!

I should note, however, that folks at security checkpoints WILL zero-in on HPG kit bags, even the ones that are Search-and-Rescue-ish red/black in color. My wife has volunteered at SAR events, and disaster drills, where her red/black Kit Bag has been scrutinized, at the entry checkpoint.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

On the original topic, yes, indeed, vests, of many types, are now trendy, among multiple demographics.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

I carried one of these (slightly expensive) Yoshida Porter sling bags around Tokyo and Switzerland an average of 6 times a year for 15 years, it has 1.4 million Delta air miles on it, and it’s still in great condition. Every man in Japan carries something like this and I’ve never had a comment about it except for compliments (usually from tourists in elevators).

You can wear it over your chest or over your back. It rides high enough to be completely out of the way for a draw. Over there, you have your notebook, phone charger, camera, etc.

Over here it’s handy for one’s CAT tourniquet and other medical kit, Leatherman tool, phone charger, extra spare mags, and a BUG if one is so inclined- a modern “possibles bag”.

But it will still get you snarky comments in some of the same circles that would never say a word about the “shoot me vest” of which I have perhaps four in the closet... and haven’t seen light of day in 16 years.

It’s a cultural thing, I guess.

Also, obligatory dog photo. Because we all appreciate professional dogs.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    So...what’s your favorite Fanny pack?
    I’ve got an old Lowe waist pack with a small pouch and two bottle sleeves that’s great for long dog walks. Water for both of us, a small bowl, and less stuff in my pockets.

Just picked up a used Mountainsmith lumbar pack for day hikes.

My go to summer cover garment is either a button up Hawaiian/Bowling/Guayabera shirt of a concealed carry clothiers vest. Which is an extremely versatile cover garment as noted. Mine is a little less "safari" being in the charcoal grey color shown, but it works very well. I use it frequently for three seasons (or both seasons in Texas). Loop-lined pockets add to the versatility.

An advantage to a vest for general concealment is you have a large pocket to stash your heater in if you have to drop trou. The pockets on this vest are deep enough to hold a Government Model.

Name:  CF28C1D8-14DE-4C21-8489-9E8C2C349B65.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  19.2 KB

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    I had a flying vest: First aid kit, compass, small survival kit, cell phone, space blanket, poncho, fire-starter, Leatherman tool, purification straw. I figured that if I survived the crash-landing, I’d be OK for a day or two. Probably should have added a small airband transceiver.

Turned out I never needed any of it.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List