Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shoot Me Vest: When Did I Get Old?

Shoot Me Vest: When Did I Get Old?

A while back, I inherited a safari/fishing/photography/whatever vest the deceased had used at matches and gun classes. It went from a box of extra layers to a closet hanger. Now it dangles from a hook by the door. God have mercy on my soul.

Having adopted a rabbiting beagle, we need to keep the little maniac trained. My arms are now a constant patch of scabs, cuts, and scratches from following the little hound. On leash for deer, off leash for bunnies. My usual style just doesn't fly in the woods anymore as even a small daypack is too tangly in the thick of briar patches and brush.

Chest pockets keep his treats and my snack or lunch out of his hyper food driven reach. The rear game pouch handily accepts birch bark I proactively grab as promising pieces present in case a fire should become necessary and also accept the leash if necessary. The game pouch zips open for quick and easy cleaning out afterward. If at a drive-in trailhead, my car keys can be safely zipped away. No undue straps or protrusions to tangle in the vegetation or dog. Multiple pockets to segregate gear and prevent damage or incessant clanking. Covers an OWB K or N-frame at the gas station or trailhead. Keeps a good peppersray readily accessible but retained. Protects my trusty compass. Stows the GPS linked to the beast's collar. Fits the tracking collar while getting ready the dog ready to step afield or crated back in the car. Flask for a fireside break? Extra speed strips? Landowner permissions and training permits? Camera lens? Firelighting redundancies? Booboo kit? Tourniquet? Spare cotton bandana? Work glove quickly bitten off my hand for extra dexterity? It'll fit just fine if I want. And leave my poor pants pockets alone since a steel expanable baton is already being stuffed there should something want to menace my small companion.

A fella can just walk a retriever but one little beagle and my wardrobe has to change. Yet again, something for which I shook my head at the old timers turns out to be practical and well considered. It even makes the transition from training/scouting season to hunting season with it orange shotgun vest more organic. Now watch me lose the lifetime battle against my most hated nemesis: The Fannypack.

That’s why I don’t mess with dogs.

Imagine my surprise when I discovered that people not associated with the gun community at all were using vests as a practical method of carrying items needed on a regular basis. Back when CNN center was in Atlanta the sheer amount of CNN employees wearing a vest of some type was simply staggering. Then we went to Orlando to do the obligatory purgatory of theme parks. Once again I was astounded by the number of tourists wearing vests stuffed with snacks, water bottles, snot rags, boo-boo kits, cameras, sun screen, etc.

How could a minuscule but vocal portion of the gun community have gotten it so wrong? Or maybe...just maybe all these varied subsets of people weren’t really going about their daily lives using a practical if somewhat less than stylish article of clothing...maybe they were ALL IDPA old guys walking around masquerading as photographers and tourists?

Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Right. I have two IDPA vests - one with my personal emblazon 'Team Mediocre' - and an inexpensive utility vest. It and my Cabela's safari jacket are getting worn and Cabela's has gotten too fruity to carry such practical stuff. Lots of things advertised but none look quite like those.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    Now watch me lose the lifetime battle against my most hated nemesis: The Fannypack.
    Get a Hill People Gear kit bag, because having a fanny pack strapped to your chest is different...for some reason.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    I have a couple of Duluth vests I’ve had for a while. Neither one is a “tactical color”. No khaki. No OD green or multicam. IIRC, one was called “mocha” and the other was “manbun grey” or some such. Both are now faded, worn around the edges, and exceedingly inconspicuous. They’re handy and certainly not out of place in many of the places I go or travel. I don’t wear them with Royal Robbins pants, or wrap around sunglasses either lol.

So...what’s your favorite Fanny pack?
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Beagles!

I cohabited with a beagle for almost 18 years. He was a smart and willful creature. From the start it seems his whole being was fixated on dominating me. We developed an understanding after he became aware of the fact that I was capable of sudden, seemingly uncontrollable fits of rage resulting in unpleasant outcomes for the beagle. He particularly came to fear the possibility of being "mercilessly beaten" with my ever present baseball cap. Ultimately we shared co-ownership of each other. I sure miss Scooter.

He was a trailing dog and had an amazing nose. I know exactly what you mean about trying to keep up with one that is running a rabbit. Watching a working dog do what has been bred into their genes is one of life's truly great pleasures. And a pleasure that far too few people get to enjoy.
    Last edited by muzzleblast; 04-11-2021 at 10:37 AM.
    Paraphrasing Wyatt Earp: The first shot is twice as important as the second shot, the 2nd shot is twice as important as the 3rd shot, the 3rd shot is twice as important as the 4th shot, the 4th shot is twice as important as the 5th shot…

@Wheeler

I think what you're seeing is just that some things are acceptable in certain contexts, but that still doesn't mean they're acceptable in others. Example:

Open carrying a .44 Magnum in a rural area is fine. Doing so in a suburban area is going to draw unwanted attention.

Concealing a gun while wearing nice jeans, chelsea boots, a dress shirt and nice blazer is fine in many suburban/urban areas. Doing so in rural or poor areas will draw unwanted attention.

Wearing a fanny pack as a tourist, in tourist places, is fine. Wearing a fanny pack to starbucks, Sheetz, the office, or wherever during your daily life not as a tourist in non-tourist areas will draw unwanted attention.

Wearing a photographers vest as a.......photographer, media, fisherman, etc......is fine. Wearing a photographers vest as you go to your kids' school function (or any place that doesn't permit CCW) will draw unwanted attention.

etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    So...what’s your favorite Fanny pack?
    I've got the old Eagle, myself......though I like sling bags better, and actually just wear it as a sling bag.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    How could a minuscule but vocal portion of the gun community have gotten it so wrong? Or maybe...just maybe all these varied subsets of people weren’t really going about their daily lives using a practical if somewhat less than stylish article of clothing...maybe they were ALL IDPA old guys walking around masquerading as photographers and tourists?

We all live in our own echo chambers. We know that’s a “concealment garment” so we just automatically assume everyone else thinks the same thing. The “gun community” spends a lot of time creating answers for problems that either don’t exist or are rare. Rarely does anyone focus on practical problems like ‘how do I comfortably take a shit with my concealed duty belt full of crap I really don’t need but someone on some influential platform has convinced me I need (mainly so they can fulfill their shill duties to keep gear sponsors happy) because every time I step out of whatever perceived safety bubble I live in, going to the grocery store is akin to Third World, War torn environments.’

I used to frequently carry an M&P45 OWB with a t shirt as a cover garment and no one caused me any problems. Maybe they saw my gun maybe they didn’t, I don’t really give a shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post

We all live in our own echo chambers. We know that’s a “concealment garment” so we just automatically assume everyone else thinks the same thing. The “gun community” spends a lot of time creating answers for problems that either don’t exist or are rare. Rarely does anyone focus on practical problems like ‘how do I comfortably take a poop with my concealed duty belt full of crap I really don’t need but someone on some influential platform has convinced me I need (mainly so they can fulfill their shill duties to keep gear sponsors happy) because every time I step out of whatever perceived safety bubble I live in, going to the grocery store is akin to Third World, War torn environments.’

I used to frequently carry an M&P45 OWB with a t shirt as a cover garment and no one caused me any problems. Maybe they saw my gun maybe they didn’t, I don’t really give a snap.

User Tag List