Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Would a single stack, Commander sized 45 ACP Glock make any sense in today’s America?

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I'm not getting the correlation to why it would make a resurgence under stricter gun control, as nothing changes between before and after gun control that would make the 45GAP more successful.
    Because folks like G19s, but they don't have a great track record with 10-round mags. So a pistol built around a 10 round mag that works in a caliber that mirrors the performance of the legendary .45 American Communist Perforator makes more sense than carrying the G19 with maybe reliable neutered mags.

For me, the M&P45C makes more sense, or a LW Commander, but, that's just me. Actually, the sadly discontinued M&P45 2.0 Subcompact (4" barrel, G19 length grip, 8+1) made the most sense, but I don't know if they ever even hit the market.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Right.

I understand this.

I understand the point of the 45 GAP.

I'm not getting the correlation to why it would make a resurgence under stricter gun control, as nothing changes between before and after gun control that would make the 45GAP more successful.
    In 1994 when the AWB passed guns got smaller. The AWB created a lot of new ideas regarding 10 round magazine limits. If AWB2 comes out the 45GAP will be a hit again. The 45GAP was born at the request of Glock to CCI. It wasn't produced until 2003 and didn't really hit the market until after the AWB ended in September of 2004. We are arguing apples and oranges. I believe it will come back if 10 round magazine limits come back. It would not be hard for Glock to market it as the best thing when you only have 10 rounds. It fits in a smaller platform that the 45acp can't, that is the selling feature for Glock.

Adverse legislation changes nothing for me. If I'm truly committed to the supremacy of safe practices and accountable hits, I'd be foolish to abandon umpteen thousand rounds and hours of training, practice, proficiency, habituation, and an established logistical chain for a gain of...what. I'll leave the house shortly wearing my 19X, which is good enough today for needful things. Were it 7 rounds lighter, nothing else about that worthiness would change.

Micros/subs and small mids dominate EDC for most, with the majority being a 380/9/38. If GTG today, legislation would seemingly change nothing about that.

I fiercely object to the infringement, but the practical and functional issues aren't the thing they were 94-04.

Until the craze, I couldn't give away 357sig or 45gap ammo.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

The slide on the GAP is massive....difficult-er to hide.....even with a small grip.

The easy button for Glock is double stack 10 round mags for g19 (that work) Likely much more profitable than a new (old) platform and caliber that already failed once.

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    The slide on the GAP is massive....difficult-er to hide.....even with a small grip.

The easy button for Glock is double stack 10 round mags for g19 (that work) Likely much more profitable than a new (old) platform and caliber that already failed once.
    If Glock took the time to design 10 round G17 and G19 mags that were as reliable with hollow-point duty/defense ammunition as the standard capacity mags, much of this discussion would be moot. I think they probably would put the time and money into this if another AWB was signed into law. The profit is there. There are waaaay more people legally carrying concealed firearms in 2021 than there were in 1994 simply due to the changes in CCW permit laws at the state level throughout the US. The market for CCW stuff is an order of magnitude larger and more profitable now.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    If Glock took the time to design 10 round G17 and G19 mags that were as reliable with hollow-point duty/defense ammunition as the standard capacity mags, much of this discussion would be moot. I think they probably would put the time and money into this if another AWB was signed into law. The profit is there. There are waaaay more people legally carrying concealed firearms in 2021 than there were in 1994 simply due to the changes in CCW permit laws at the state level throughout the US. The market for CCW stuff is an order of magnitude larger and more profitable now.
    Glock does Glock. They'll ramp up production of what's already designed and tooled and tell us we'll like it.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Glock does Glock. They'll ramp up production of what's already designed and tooled and tell us we'll like it.
    I think Glock likes to make fat stacks of cash money which is why they released the G42 when everyone wanted a G43 and then they released the G43 after a year of G42 sales. They did the same thing with the G43X and G48 which sold for a little over a year before the slightly better MOS versions came out. I believe there are fat stacks of cash to be had in making reliable 10 round double stack Glock mags should another AWB come to pass.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    What would follow your described pattern is selling everyone 10-round mags that are already designed and tooled, then "inventing" 10-round mags that actually work and selling them to everyone again.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    I hate to say this but I had a good number of Glock 17 and 19 10 rounders. I bought them real cheap after the ban expired and they were dumped for a few bucks each. Used them for IDPA for years without any problem.

Site Supporter
    Discarding one's non compact size pistol because he or she must use a 10 rd magazine might mean having to learn a new platform. Further, most agree that as pistol size decreases from full or mid size to compact or sub compact, reliability might decrease. Keeping what you have might be the most logical plan. Anyway, right now finding a replacement and vetting it by shooting will be difficult to achieve.

A Glock 40 S&W with a 357 Sig barrel and a 9mm conversion barrel looks good right now. So does my P2000 357 Sig with a factory 40 S&W barrel.

User Tag List