Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Would a single stack, Commander sized 45 ACP Glock make any sense in today’s America?

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I’ve always thought the GAP had great appeal, but it just never got traction. Maybe it will come back.
    Why would it come back? 45 GAPs genesis or purpose doesn't have anything to do with capacity.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Isn't the compelling reason against running 10-round mags in a full size Glock that the 10-round mags are questionable in their reliability?

The Commander Sized striker fired .45 out there with a 10-round mag is the Smith M&P 2.0 Compact in .45. Seems like an easy button.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Why would it come back? 45 GAPs genesis or purpose doesn't have anything to do with capacity.
    I think it had a lot to do with capacity. 10 rounds was exactly what fit in a Glock 37, it was a Glock 17 frame. I think he banked on the assault weapon ban being continued and when it didn't it the GAP didn't catch on.

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    I think it had a lot to do with capacity. 10 rounds was exactly what fit in a Glock 37, it was a Glock 17 frame. I think he banked on the assault weapon ban being continued and when it didn't it the GAP didn't catch on.
    Capacity, and grip size. Even a Gen4 .45 Glock is at the absolute limit of what I can comfortably grip; Linda’s Gen2 21 is a memento, not a practical gun for me (although I shoot it well, I always feel I’m right on the edge of losing it.)

To my way of thinking a cartridge that was substantially similar to the .45 ACP in a smaller Glock package has great appeal. I never did buy into it, but even now casually watch for a 39.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

45 GAP and 45 ACP take up the same capacity in a given size of magazine.

If you have a magazine size that fits 10 rounds of 45ACP, it will still only fit 10 of 45 GAP.

It's not like you gain any extra rounds as you would if chambering a gun in 40 or 9mm. The only difference is it's a few mm shorter in length. Nothing to do with capacity.

Site Supporter
    45 GAP and 45 ACP take up the same capacity in a given size of magazine.

If you have a magazine size that fits 10 rounds of 45ACP, it will still only fit 10 of 45 GAP.

It's not like you gain any extra rounds as you would if chambering a gun in 40 or 9mm. The only difference is it's a few mm shorter in length. Nothing to do with capacity.

Not true, the 45 GAP is shorter by a long shot. It fits in a Glock 17 size magazine. The 45ACP does not. The 45 GAP is much more efficient in case capacity and that is why it works in a smaller frame gun.

Not true, the 45 GAP is shorter by a long shot. It fits in a Glock 17 size magazine. The 45ACP does not. The 45 GAP is much more efficient in case capacity and that is why it works in a smaller frame gun.
    Yes, as I already stated, the 45 GAP is shorter than the 45 ACP. I don't know why you think you're correcting me on the 45 GAP being shorter in OAL than 45 ACP when I've already stated such.

Grip frame distance from front to rear has nothing to do with magazine capacity.

The 45 GAP is shorter. That is the genesis and purpose for the 45 GAP, to fit in grip frames which are shorter "reach" (distance from front to rear). That does not mean the 45 GAP has more capacity for a given length of magazine....the pills are just as fat. A 10 round 45 GAP magazine is identical in length to a 10 round 45 ACP magazine.

If I'm following the conversation, the idea here that Heavy Duty is wondering whether 45 GAP could possibly face a resurgence under 10 round magazine limits (or general future gun control, that's the point of the thread). I don't see why it would, because a 45 GAP wouldn't gain you anything in context of capacity vs 45 ACP.

So, unless I'm misunderstanding something here about what you guys are putting down.....no, 45 GAP has nothing to do with capacity.
    Last edited by TGS; 04-14-2021 at 08:29 AM.

Back to the OP's question, I never understood why GLOCK produced the 30 with such a short grip, requiring an extended magazine to get the 10th round in it.

If GLOCK would produce a 30X, with a G19-length grip, it would easily hold 10+1, and mate it to the 30S's slim slide, I think it would be an ENORMOUS hit in capacity restricted locales. Think a 38S, but in 45ACP.

I would love a true G19-sized 10 shot .45 ACP GLOCK, because I too find the large frame pistols to be just barely useable given the size/shape of the grip. Not sure I'd be interested in diving into a different caliber (45GAP) to achieve that, though, given what we've learned in the last year about ammo availability in times of trouble. I normally wouldn't worry about that as I could just roll my own ammo, but, the great primer drought of 2020 has changed that perception...

Yes.

Grip frame distance from front to rear has nothing to do with magazine capacity.

So, unless I'm misunderstanding something here about what you guys are putting down.....no, 45 GAP has nothing to do with capacity.
    I THINK the point is a lot of folks find the 30/21 frame to be too big to shoot well. SO, if you want .45 ACP performance in a 10 round max capacity setting, the GAP makes sense (since it fits into a G19-equivalent frame).

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    I THINK the point is a lot of folks find the 30/21 frame to be too big to shoot well. SO, if you want .45 ACP performance in a 10 round max capacity setting, the GAP makes sense (since it fits into a G19-equivalent frame).
    Right.

I understand this.

I understand the point of the 45 GAP.

I'm not getting the correlation to why it would make a resurgence under stricter gun control, as nothing changes between before and after gun control that would make the 45GAP more successful.

User Tag List