Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Would a single stack, Commander sized 45 ACP Glock make any sense in today’s America?

Would a single stack, Commander sized 45 ACP Glock make any sense in today’s America?

With the political winds blowing in the direction they are, I’ve been thinking a lot about semi autos that might be less likely to offend the sensibilities of the hoplophobic Biden voters. I know that semi autos are evil. Okay, I get it. But I was thinking that a Commander sized, 7 round capacity single stack magazine (+1 &2 base pads for free’er states), .45 ACP Glock, with a G41/G30S (1”) width slide, Gen 5 features and MOS option, might just be something. It’d be New York State legal, not that that matters to me. It would certainly be lighter than an aluminum framed Commander and I’d guess more durable than one as well. Maybe not. I was wrong about how great the new administration would be.... oh, wait. I wasn’t.

My thoughts were much the same before the election, especially when ammo became unobtanium, so I added a G36.3 to the stable as I was carrying a customized G17.3. Six-shot single-stack magazine and the same 3.78" barrel length of the G30(S). At the time, I was practicing to move to an EDC X9 from the G17.3 and was unable to find 9x19 practice ammo or components. I was sitting -- and still am -- on cases of 230-grain standard pressure JHP .45 ACP. The G36.3 is nice, but I prefer a longer side radius and more weight in .45 ACP. So I decided to use the EDC X9 time and pulled several of my .45 five-inch 1911 guns from the safe and started practicing. After some practice sessions, I was down to my RRA Elite Commando and my old NP3-finished STI Lawman. The latter won due to the superior corrosion resistance as there were no real differences on the timer or targets.

So, long story short, I think an eight-shot, 4.25" barreled Glock would make a ton of sense.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Any pistol with a capacity of less than ten rounds may make more sense in the near future. Personally, that's why I'm holding off investing in any new platform with a greater capacity. I have a bunch of Beretta 92s that might not make a lot of sense after a mag ban, let alone a big ticket gun like a Staccato P, etc.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Why .45? If we're looking at 9mm's, the 48 and 43x would fit the bill nicely.

EDIT: Never mind, think I figured out why. Larger rounds=reduced magazine capacity.
    Last edited by Jay585; 04-10-2021 at 08:44 PM.
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    Why .45? If we're looking at 9mm's, the 48 and 43x would fit the bill nicely.

EDIT: Never mind, think I figured out why. Larger rounds=reduced magazine capacity.
    Yeah, that’s it. Having owned a Commander, that size always appealed to me.

@Trooper224. I think we’re on the same sheet of music. I really don’t want to, nor an I afford, to carry a high dollar gun that I can’t have several copies of and might end up in an evidence locker for a long while. A big plus is that I can replace Glock parts. I’m not a 1911 gunsmith or even armorer.
    Last edited by Inkwell 41; 04-10-2021 at 09:09 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkwell 41 View Post
    With the political winds blowing in the direction they are, I’ve been thinking a lot about semi autos that might be less likely to offend the sensibilities of the hoplophobic Biden voters. I know that semi autos are evil. Okay, I get it. But I was thinking that a Commander sized, 7 round capacity single stack magazine (+1 &2 base pads for free’er states), .45 ACP Glock, with a G41/G30S (1”) width slide, Gen 5 features and MOS option, might just be something. It’d be New York State legal, not that that matters to me. It would certainly be lighter than an aluminum framed Commander and I’d guess more durable than one as well. Maybe not. I was wrong about how great the new administration would be.... oh, wait. I wasn’t.
    When someone wants something banned they do it in small doses so it is acceptable. The correct number of rounds a magazine can hold for someone offended by such is 0. When they achieve 0 they will find something else to go after because the policies they have enacted cause the problems they think they can correct.

Thinking you can find common ground is a weakness they will capitalize on; don't fall for it.

I’ve lived in a country where guns are basically illegal and I had to leave my pocketknife in the truck before going out in public.

I won’t be complying with any bs here.

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    When someone wants something banned they do it in small doses so it is acceptable. The correct number of rounds a magazine can hold for someone offended by such is 0. When they achieve 0 they will find something else to go after because the policies they have enacted cause the problems they think they can correct.

Thinking you can find common ground is a weakness they will capitalize on; don't fall for it.
    I fully realize what the opposition’s goals are. My comment on the Resident of the United States in the original post was sarcasm. Hope this clarifies.

Site Supporter
    Any Glock, or even any handgun would offend the sensibilities of hopolophobic Biden voters. They want total disarmament. Anything they might say otherwise is a lie. Attempting to reason with unreasonable people is a fools errand.

It sounds like you want a Glock 36, a +1 magazine extension and an MOS cut. You can get all that right now, you'll just have to settle for an aftermarket optic cut.

Thinking that you're going to satisfy the anti-gunners with a slightly-less capable gun is a fool's errand though.

User Tag List