Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Prince Philip Has Died

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    He served well in wartime, married the girl he fell in love with when he was a teenager and loyally did a job that required playing second banana and squishing down his ego for over seven decades.

Fair winds and following seas.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Saw this on Reddit today, I hadn't realized that he was so quotable.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    By far my favourite royal and one of the commonwealth's most entertaining public speakers. I can see why they muzzled him as much as possible.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

I'd never seen this before. It's terrific.

https://twitter.com/@twitter/status/1380487027804811268?s=21

Quote Originally Posted by Maple Syrup Actual View Post
    By far my favourite royal and one of the commonwealth's most entertaining public speakers. I can see why they muzzled him as much as possible.
    I know pretty much nothing about the dude, but the quotes from him in this thread are hilarious. They make Trumps tweets seem like thoughtful, well-mannered insight from Mother Theresa.

Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    I know pretty much nothing about the dude, but the quotes from him in this thread are hilarious. They make Trumps tweets seem like thoughtful, well-mannered insight from Mother Theresa.
    Yeah, he'd be an epic shit-poster on social media if he were in his prime today as opposed to the 1950s.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Yeah, he's an artifact from another time, all right.

British tabloids used to list his "gaffes" but personally I always thought he was just old, didn't give a fuck, and liked screwing with people.

A gaffe is a mistake...I think he was just riotously indifferent to modern polite discourse.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    One of the reports said that he wrote his own speeches and adamantly refused to use the official pap that they gave him.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

That's interesting, I'd never heard that. Although in a way it's not surprising, or maybe a more accurate comment is that it's surprising, but rings true based on the things you'd hear him say.

Not that I'm a big royal fan or anything, I'm actually a member of an anti-monarchist group and I consider them to be foreign rulers. When my family came to Canada they were a bunch of Germans still, so I don't recognize them at all.

But while I oppose their system, I can still recognize a decent human being when I see one. I liked Philip, I think Elizabeth has a tremendous sense of duty and represents some of the last, best traditions of the royal family, and the one grandkid who's still on the team seems like a decent guy too. I think inherited power is insane and I'm dead set against the concept of aristocracy, but on a monarch-by-monarch basis, if I'd ordered a set on Amazon I'd have to give Phil & Liz 5 stars for quality, it's just a product I don't need.

That said in this fucking country the central Canadians would make the god damned Trudeaus royalty if there wasn't someone someone in the chair already, which would require me to renounce my citizenship and cut ties with this country and never mention it's name again, so I guess there's worse things than money with a foreign monarch on it.

Still...#wexit

I'm actually a member of an anti-monarchist group and...
    Good god, misanthropist....you really never cease to hit me as the single most interesting person on this forum....and by a long stretch.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List