Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Prince Philip Has Died

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar

Prince Philip Has Died

From The Wall Street Journal:

Prince Philip, a constant presence at the side of Queen Elizabeth II and the longest-serving consort to a monarch in British history, has died. He was 99.

In 1940 Prince Philip joined the Royal Navy, serving with distinction in World War II in the Mediterranean and the Pacific. During a 1941 battle off the coast of Greece, his skillful manning of his ship’s searchlight helped his crew sink two Italian cruisers in five minutes, Mr. Pimlott writes. In 1942, at the age of 21, he was one of the youngest officers ever named first lieutenant and second-in-command of a destroyer.
    I'm sure most folks outside the UK are pretty well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ right now, but he was an interesting piece of what seems to be a rapidly closing era of history.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    I'm sure most folks outside the UK are pretty well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ right now, but he was an interesting piece of what seems to be a rapidly closing era of history.
    Indeed. From the National Review article:

Philip was born on June 10, 1921 on the Greek island of Corfu and was a member of both the Greek and Danish royal families, though he was not Greek.

He was the only son of Prince Andrew of Greece and Denmark and Princess Alice of Battenberg. His uncle was forced to abdicate the throne when Philip was a baby, with the family fleeing to Paris. Philip was brought along in a crib made from an orange box.

When he was 7 years old he moved to England to live at Kensington Palace with his paternal grandmother, Victoria Mountbatten. At 18 he joined the Royal Navy, graduating from the Britannia Royal Naval College as a top cadet. He served in a number of places, including the Indian Ocean and the Mediterranean. He was in Tokyo Bay when the Japanese surrendered at the end of World War II in 1945.

He met his future wife in 1934 at a family wedding — the two are both great-great-grandchildren of Queen Victoria.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Name:  prince-philip-duke-of-edinburgh.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  45.9 KB

He had a good run. And a colorful one at that.

R.I.P.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Very sorry to hear about Philly. The country will not be happy.

That's going to pale in comparison to when Lizzy goes. The country will probably stop in it's tracks.

Prince Charles is what, 73 now? Royal Family is getting old.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/347732...c-engagements/

Not the brightest chap, for sure.

And Charles can't deny his ancestry

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Prince Charles is what, 73 now? Royal Family is getting old.
    He's 72, but not exactly the picture of health. My money has always been on Charles going before Elizabeth does.

Charles would be the death of the monarchy, I think. Britons seem to like William enough, but enough to put him on their currency...?
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Site Supporter
    He’s been in that almost translucent he’s so close to death stage of life for quite a while now.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    He’s been in that almost translucent he’s so close to death stage of life for quite a while now.
    Right? The pictures of him leaving the hospital in February, he looked more dead than alive. I hope he wasn't in any significant pain there at the end, he looked pretty bad.

Not that they are likely to see, but my condolences to the Royal Family and to England for their loss. Phillip seemed to have not only been colorful, but also someone who engaged enthusiastically with his responsibilities and cared about the people in as much as someone born to his station is able.

Alleged (If he didn't say them, he should have.) pithy quotes:

If it has got four legs and it is not a chair, if it has got two wings and it flies but is not an aeroplane, and if it swims and it is not a submarine, the Cantonese will eat it.

People think there's a rigid class system here, but dukes have been known to marry chorus girls. Some have even married Americans.

It’s a pleasure to be in a country that isn’t ruled by its people.

I would like to go to Russia very much — although the bastards murdered half my family.

You're just a silly little Whitehall twit: you don't trust me and I don't trust you.

Do you still throw spears at each other?

I don't care what kind it is, just get me a beer.

So you are the people tearing down the Brazilian rainforest and breeding cattle.

[after accepting a gift from a Kenyan woman] You are a woman, aren't you?

A horse which stops dead just before a jump and thus propels its rider into a graceful arc provides a splendid excuse for general merriment.

It's my custom to say something flattering to begin with so I shall be excused if I put my foot in it later on.

Young people are the same as they always were. They are just as ignorant.

How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough to pass the test?

Constitutionally I don't exist.

Do you know they have eating dogs for the anorexic now?

On a crocodile he shot in Gambia in 1957: “It’s not a very big one, but at least it’s dead and it took an awful lot of killing!”

User Tag List