Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Construction costs are out of control

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    What’s the cost of plywood sheets in everyone’s areas? I’ve been hearing some crazy stuff.
    Holy cow, just checked - $43 for 1\2" OSB, $53 for T+G 3/4" sub floor, $64 1/2" sanded plywood.

Boy I feel lucky, we have been nearing the end of about a 2yr project of turning our garage into a master bedroom suite with a bump out closet. We bought most of our real building materials in 2019 - I am fairly certain I was buying OSB for around $15 and the sub floor around $30.
    The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Humbly improving with CZ's.

Glad our corporation owns the timber, the mills, treatment plants, & building supply stores, with enough real estate holdings to borrow shit tons of money to buy in bulk well in advance. Some projections are for upwards of 200% profit on our developments in less urban areas.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Sheet of 3/4 ACX is $50 here in SE SD. A friend in Seattle tells me the same thing just broke $100. This happened in the mid-eighties and again in the beginning of the 2000s. I was running an electrical project in Seattle in '99. My boss asked me if I could find somewhere to store the mile+ of 5" PVC pipe we needed. He saved over 25% by buying early.

Times like this you have to be on your toes for sure.

Cat

I’m surprised that deck boards haven’t skyrocketed. Last summer, they were unobtainable.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I’m surprised that deck boards haven’t skyrocketed. Last summer, they were unobtainable.
    I bought the same lumber twice (well, thrice if you count the garbage that one dealer delivered). Once before Thanksgiving last year, once in January of this year. Built virtually identical decks. When I ordered the second batch the salesguy at 84 Lumber said something to the effect of “wow, it’s actually less expensive than the last time you ordered.l

Now I need some PT 2x6 material to start the bar and I’m not too excited to find out the price...
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

My larger concern is the lack of skilled labor to do any construction work. The contractor that I have used for the last decade is so backed up that he may not get to me this year. Between material and labor shortages, many projects are not getting done.

Last year I bought 4x8 sheets of 19/32 OSB for $14.00 each at HD. Went back a week later and they were $17.00. Two weeks later they were $28.00. Now they are $41.00.

I just built a 9x7 deck on skids so I can drag it around if needed, nothing fancy. Its for setting my daughter's new Lifetime play house on. Cost $500 just for the lumber (treated 2x6's and 5/4 decking). Crazy times!
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

I get a weekly update on Fridays from a publication called Random Lengths. It is the industry standard for the lumber and building materials world. They poll and contact mills and distributors to establish their pricing reports. Materials jumped another +5% this week. Ugh..

Site Supporter
    Name:  E538D76F-A09A-48F9-AA9A-B79C38801E30.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  44.6 KB

It's as though you shouldn't learn to code but instead to argue worm drive vs. sidewinder.

User Tag List