Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Construction costs are out of control

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    Short answer is it’s a combination of both demand and a shortage. Nobody seems to know the details. Some manufacturers are producing at record numbers, and still can’t keep up for a number of reasons. One of them being that raw materials are getting harder to come by. Which has its own set of issues.

I know of some larger companies that have suspended all completion dates. I actually have the advantage there, since I can find something to complete your project, whereas the guys with dozens or hundreds of homes sitting are looking at a nightmare if they can’t get what they need.
    Yep, raw materials are certainly part of it, here is one small slice:
    https://rapidcityjournal.com/busines...cdc545cf1.html

It's not just lumber though, my pricing on plastic pipe and wire/cable is keeping pace with all the other material.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Steel structural shapes went up 30% in 30 days, now some of it is up 80%, at least in some areas. I've heard commercial/industrial electrical supplies are up over 100%, I believe them.

Our quotes used to be good for 30 days now it's 1 day.

Not to even mention how much more we're paying for diesel per month.

I'm slightly scared to price steel pipe right now.

What’s the cost of plywood sheets in everyone’s areas? I’ve been hearing some crazy stuff.
    #RESIST

We were looking to move this year but the area we wanted to move to has seen existing houses increase 25% in the last year. Those houses are on the market less than a week and being sold 10% over the listing price. You can literally list a house one day and sell it the next. The reason is probably so few new homes being built and so many people relocating from different parts of the country to smaller cities. The city we were looking at is about 100K. With covid some people can work from home and it doesn't really matter where they live. I'm about to start a search for someone to replace a shower so that should be interesting. Fortunately I won't need a lot of material.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    What’s the cost of plywood sheets in everyone’s areas? I’ve been hearing some crazy stuff.
    $64/sht for sanded 15/32" in my area.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    My store on the highway system in Alaska is currently cheaper than Lowes or Depot up here. I'm at $48 for a sheet of 7/16 OSB and $53 on a sheet of 15/32 CDX. This will be going up next week as my next load hits the water and heads north. I'll be at $53 on 7/16 and $63 on 15/32.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    The word I'm getting from my mom who's one of the top sales people in the Villages is that sales are also through the roof right now.

It would appear that people are getting the hell out of the damned yankee People's Democratic Republics.
    And they’ll probably bring their stupid politics with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Inkwell 41 View Post
    And they’ll probably bring their stupid politics with them.
    So far, the Villages have been pretty dark red when it comes to voting. Hopefully it will stay that way.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

No relief this week. I subscribe to an industry newsletter, Random Lengths, that comes out every Friday. Framing lumber prices, plywood, and OSB prices are all up again for this week.

It isn't just construction, inflation is picking up broadly: https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mark...er/ar-BB1ftI6H

User Tag List