Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Construction costs are out of control

From Fortune Magazine:

On Friday, the price per thousand board feet of lumber jumped to an all-time high of $1,104, according to Random Lengths. That’s up a staggering 208% from a year ago.
    https://fortune.com/2021/04/20/lumbe...-so-expensive/

My architect finished renderings just as Covid was kicking off. Bids I got early last summer were shocking. I can only imagine how much more shocking they would be today. My project, it seems, is on hold almost indefinitely. I’m going to have to start watching tiny house shows so I can be more satisfied with my current situation!

My sympathies to our members who are in the building industry. It’s got to be a difficult time for you all.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    What’s the cost of plywood sheets in everyone’s areas? I’ve been hearing some crazy stuff.
    3/4" OSB sheathing was 39.95 at the big box store a few weeks ago. It's probably higher now. A year ago it was $17'ish.

Site Supporter
    Name:  CE08C625-E00F-4BA2-B82A-74B93D86BE9E.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  43.3 KB

I just picked up ten 2x4x10ft and eleven 2x6x8ft at 84 Lumber yesterday. Total came out to ~$235 with tax.

Sadly, I have no idea how that relates to past pricing, even though I ordered similar lumber in November and again (I think) in January.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

There was an article in the wsj today about how these "carbon offset credits" being sold to some of the virtue signaling nitwits running large corporations are being "filled" by large timber holdings agreeing NOT TO CUT their timber for one year. The carbon credit sellers essentially pay the timber holder to hold off harvesting for one year, leaving the trees in place for a $ contract price. And how that is an essential element of the whole lumber inflation equation.

I knew that crook Al Gore made a fortune with this phony "carbon offset" bullshit but I did not know the reach of this scam.

Site Supporter
    Name:  upload_2021-4-21_8-35-1.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  46.9 KB
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    A friend of mine is building out the interior of his first stand-alone commercial building for his growing business.
    After seeing estimates for using lumber 2x4 studs, he opted for galvanized metal stud 2x4's everywhere since buying in that volume it was basically the same price through everyone that estimated the job.

Insanity.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    A friend of mine is building out the interior of his first stand-alone commercial building for his growing business.
    After seeing estimates for using lumber 2x4 studs, he opted for galvanized metal stud 2x4's everywhere since buying in that volume it was basically the same price through everyone that estimated the job.

Insanity.
    I went through that same ciphering, actually, for my outdoor bar project. Around here right now a 2x4x8 SYP is $7.35/ea while a 3&5/8" 8ft metal stud is $5.98.

The main reason I stuck with wood is that I already have all the tools and know-how for wood, metal is a bit iffier for me. and I'm working outside and I'd rather have the PT pine than (potentially) rusty metal.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

So if I have a few acres of mature hardwood, would I be likely to (a) find a logger willing to take a small job and (b) get reasonable money for the wood? Anyone know?
    O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts, And men have lost their reason.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Moylan View Post
    So if I have a few acres of mature hardwood, would I be likely to (a) find a logger willing to take a small job and (b) get reasonable money for the wood? Anyone know?
    Call a forester to come take a look at what you have.

User Tag List