Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: JCN’s take on modern fighting revolvers

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    25 yards with the laser, so I will check the crown. Definitely lots of offset!
    Crown looks fine, and I just rechecked it at 75 feet with the laser. The laser red dot difference shows exactly what I initially experienced on the range, and aligning them would result in the bullet impact being six or eight inches high on target.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I've seen many reports of those laser thingees being crappy. Have you tried rotating it? How does it fit in the chamber?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I've seen many reports of those laser thingees being crappy. Have you tried rotating it? How does it fit in the chamber?
    I have used this Wheeler laser enough to completely trust it, so it seems like something else, and I am guessing height over bore.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

This is the muzzle magnet mounted one. Much better than the chamber ones for accuracy.

I have used this Wheeler laser enough to completely trust it, so it seems like something else, and I am guessing height over bore.
    I think these work best on semi-auto pistols. I’m not sure how well they work on revolvers and rifles. I usually take off all muzzle attachments when doing rifles.

I guess my only other thought is whether the ammo velocity is also contributing?

Probably not, but the only other thing I can think of besides the crown not being perfectly aligned.

Site Supporter
    I just did this. My wife’s reaction was “why.”

Hardest part is I keep trying to rack the slide between shots when dry firing.

Attachment 71490

PS: I told my wife it was a sub caliber trainer for this.

Attachment 71491
    So much goodness! Geez I want a 386!

Hmmm wonder if I could drill and tap a mount onto the top of my 242?

Crown looks fine, and I just rechecked it at 75 feet with the laser. The laser red dot difference shows exactly what I initially experienced on the range, and aligning them would result in the bullet impact being six or eight inches high on target.
    The laser doesn't recoil. Recoil before bullet departure has a stronger effect on a revolver than an automatic.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

I wouldn't do that.

"Performance Center" is worth whatever the script on the side of the gun is worth to you. I've seen no evidence that PC guns built in the last decade are in any way significantly different mechanically than ordinary Smiths, and quite a bit of evidence to the contrary.

Having recently gone through an M&P 340, I can say there are sooo many sources of suck inside a modern S&W that have nothing to do with the spring, although the spring strut was a mess, too.

One of the inherent advantages of an S&W K/L/N is the fact that the hammer spring is essentially frictionless. It's held at one end and hooks a stirrup on the other, with nothing in between touching anything. That's a better starting place toward smooth than any coil spring/strut assembly can hope to be. And the small diameter pivot pins of the stirrup inherently have less friction than the mushroom head on the top of that spring strut.

I expect you'd be far better off having one of the reputable smiths like Karl Sokol or Frank Glenn go through the guns than getting some non-reversible aftermarket system installed.

If you want to DIY it yourself, get the Kuhnhausen book. It doesn't tell you how to tune it, but it does make sure you have a really good understanding of what can be wrong with one, so you know how to not screw it up.
    Eli at TK customs finished my revolvers.

Interesting enough, Poggie (who just won another USPSA revolver national championship) uses the leaf and strain spring so that’s how I had mine set up.

I had mine set for 8 pounds to light CCI primers, but he said it’s just a strain screw adjustment away from being identical to Poggie’s at 6 pounds.

User Tag List