Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: JCN’s take on modern fighting revolvers

I’ve thought about what would make my ideal fighting revolver given my individual circumstances. I’m no SME, but *for me* if there was some kind of small enclosed emitter RDS that could be mounted low on something like my 3” K6s, it would meet my needs rather nicely.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Going to take the plunge and have the original Nightguard cylinder cut for moon clips and rechambered in 9mm...
    Thats a bold move Cotton

First: JCN needs to get out of my head.

Second: What brand of mount are you using for the Holosun?

My revolver pile is nearly identical and I've had the urge to modify some of my Nightguards with a 9mm clip conversion also. I haven't because I felt like it would break some sort of cosmic rule. I may jump into the pool now or wait to see a report on how it turns out. The Nighthawk is a really neat revolver and mine is already worn enough to not be a collectors piece but it still sits mostly unused.

Anyone: Who is generally considered to be the best 9mm conversion guys these days?
    My apologies to weasels.

This thread is full of WTF *and* Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by 314159 View Post
    First: JCN needs to get out of my head.

Second: What brand of mount are you using for the Holosun?

My revolver pile is nearly identical and I've had the urge to modify some of my Nightguards with a 9mm clip conversion also. I haven't because I felt like it would break some sort of cosmic rule. I may jump into the pool now or wait to see a report on how it turns out. The Nighthawk is a really neat revolver and mine is already worn enough to not be a collectors piece but it still sits mostly unused.

Anyone: Who is generally considered to be the best 9mm conversion guys these days?
    I talked to Eli at TK Customs and really enjoyed that he likes to compete and shoot. Sending the cylinder tomorrow if I have time.
    I'm using the JP jpoint mount since they have nearly the same footprint as the 507K (except sometimes bosses need to be shortened or trimmed). In this case, I'm using the included polymer 1 degree shim, so I just side cuttered the rear bosses off and flat filed the front bosses down (easy to do on a polymer shim) to mount it flush.

Thinking about it some more, these are some of the thoughts I had about a "modern fighting revolver." @jetfire

1. I want it to be nearly as shootable as a compact DA semi-auto if that's possible.
    2. As a personal beef, I want it to also ballistically be similar to a compact semi-auto 9mm and trying to get >325 ft*lbs of energy out of an SD round (so most 38 special is out from <3" barrel).
    3. 357 magnum to me isn't as shootable as 9mm in a <3", <25 oz revolver despite similar ballistics.
    4. If I can have the fastest reloads available, I want that. 9mm seems to be the ticket for that. Plus ammunition choices and availability are also excellent for 9mm over 38/357.

All of those things make me think that at this weight and barrel length, I really do want a 9mm fighting revolver with moon clips.

When it's all said and done, I'm going to run one against a semi-auto and see how close I can get in some standard published drills. Probably FAST and FBI 50 round pistol qual. Maybe even the FAM if I get crazy enough. Will need the 9mm moons to have a chance at the 4 second stage 7 (low ready, shot, reload, kneel, shot).

Okay, to be even stupider I bought this just now:

Name:  4D130315-954C-4E0A-B401-C3A93F812E38.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  51.8 KB

22LR snub with an adjustable rear sight... which means I could mount a Holosun 507k on a snubbie.....

Muahahaha. So dumb, but I’m going to have fun with it.

It’s funny, my current ammo stash changes my math calculus. I currently have a bunch of 22LR that I really have no use for... but getting snubby point shooting practice with something that doesn’t sting to shoot sounds like a lot of fun and something I don’t have covered in my current gun use.

Okay, to be even stupider I bought this just now:

Name:  4D130315-954C-4E0A-B401-C3A93F812E38.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  51.8 KB

22LR snub with an adjustable rear sight... which means I could mount a Holosun 507k on a snubbie.....

Muahahaha. So dumb, but I’m going to have fun with it.

It’s funny, my current ammo stash changes my math calculus. I currently have a bunch of 22LR that I really have no use for... but getting snubby point shooting practice with something that doesn’t sting to shoot sounds like a lot of fun and something I don’t have covered in my current gun use.
    I think you may need another hole drilled

My modified sw 327 PC

Hello Gents,

Im a die hard glock guy, i love their simplicity, market support, capacity, etc. However im 40 now, my needs and every day life are a little different than when i was a strapping young kid-less lad. Ive always loved wheelies, and usually had a j frame tucked into whatever lounge wear i kick it in around the house. Everyone needs to relax, and a j frame with a clip draw will fit into just about any slovenly wear.
    I picked up a 627 pc on a whim. I liked that it was an odd duck, a 357 on an n frame, unfluted cylinder, etc, its a pretty weapon. This led me to aquire a 327 pc, its scaled down cousin in scandium and titanium.
    I petitioned various merchants to get a holster for my 327, its a bit of an odd duck in that its profile doesnt really match up with anything except a 327 pc. I finally settled on a clip draw designed for a j frame after a little tinkering, turns out it fits an n frame too.
    The hammer kept digging into my guts when worn aiwb. I swapped it out for an apex evoultion IV hammerless kit and had to tune up the hammer spring a bit to avoid light strikes. I opted for the "carry" trigger weight, while the butter smooth DA action of the "competition" spring was quite lovely, pointing at my junk all day in mexican carry made me a little skittish.
    I hate SW boot grips on just about everything, and hate their PC shop oem ones too. Im picky. I classed it up with some arhends combat ones in a red maple. They sure are pretty, but after much consternation i switched back to some recoil absorbing rubber pachmayers. This is a carry weapon, not a safe queen. And lets face it, its pretty darn ugly as it is. But im a weird guy and find that specfic quality attractive sometimes. Like a bulldog, so ugly its cute? Even with the n frame cylnders "girth", its surprisingly comfortable AIWB, im a fairly large fella so your mileage may vary. It works well for me in the role i need it for. I get to keep my shells and its NPC friendly, always a bonus. Now when lounging around in gym shorts, or wesring all day with blue jeans, i feel a little better having an actual combat fighting revlover instead of wee little J frame

Name:  20210414_094404.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  74.3 KB

Name:  20210414_094419.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  77.6 KB
    Last edited by Irishmike; 04-14-2021 at 08:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Irishmike View Post
    But im a weird guy and find that specfic quality attractive sometimes. Like a bulldog, so ugly its cute? Even with the n frame cylnders "girth", its surprisingly comfortable AIWB, im a fairly large fella so your mileage may vary. It works well for me in the role i need it for. I get to keep my shells and its NPC friendly, always a bonus
    If you have a chrono, you might want to check your carry ammo.

Name:  0AE7CA3A-1798-4D7F-8349-7DB5D542AF3B.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  49.7 KB

The 327PC barrel length often gives the ballistic power of a 380ACP LCP / G42 when shooting 38 special.

I used the gun as a diaper bag carry for a couple years with a Magna trigger but be aware that despite it feeling powerful, ballistically with 38 special it’s not all that.

That was actually part of the impetus to combining it with a longer barrel Nightguard and eventually going to 9mm in a short barrel revolver.

If you have a chrono, you might want to check your carry ammo.

Name:  0AE7CA3A-1798-4D7F-8349-7DB5D542AF3B.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  49.7 KB

The 327PC barrel length often gives the ballistic power of a 380ACP LCP / G42 when shooting 38 special.

I used the gun as a diaper bag carry for a couple years with a Magna trigger but be aware that despite it feeling powerful, ballistically with 38 special it’s not all that.

That was actually part of the impetus to combining it with a longer barrel Nightguard and eventually going to 9mm in a short barrel revolver.
    Thank you for that, i should check. Im running hordnay +p+ "critical defense" short barrel rounds, but even those may perform a little less than stellar with that little of barrel length. This model does get an actual 2" barrel due to the fitment against the shorter .357 cylnder. But still, excellent point nonetheless

User Tag List