Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: JCN’s take on modern fighting revolvers

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Oh, IÂ’m talking about a human handling a gun.... not the gun handling the ammo. It is weird, but probably a combination of powder speed, chamber length and muzzle blast that contributes but the felt difference is quite significant even at the same bullet energy.

I think your 2.75” revolver might be an anomalous unicorn, lol. I was thinking of the ~ 2 inch varieties of revolver that are a fair amount more ballistically anemic.

Is it possible for you to post a video of a bill drill with that gun on a timer at 7 yards using full power ammo? IÂ’d love to
    See what that looks like.
    This is why i was running hot .38s in lieu of .357s, in a scandium frame it is downright unpleasant, and follow up shots are significantly longer than a snappy .38.
    Always a trade off, i figured the ballistics were a little less, had no idea they were so dang weak

Oh, I’m talking about a human handling a gun.... not the gun handling the ammo. It is weird, but probably a combination of powder speed, chamber length and muzzle blast that contributes but the felt difference is quite significant even at the same bullet energy.

I think your 2.75” revolver might be an anomalous unicorn, lol. I was thinking of the ~ 2 inch varieties of revolver that are a fair amount more ballistically anemic.

Is it possible for you to post a video of a bill drill with that gun on a timer at 7 yards using full power ammo? I’d love to
    Maybe next time out Ill chrono my wifes 2" m15.

I can either time myself, or record myself My phone cant do both at the same time. I need to get an actual shot timer I know.

Im no Jerry but this is with full power loads

Oh, I’m talking about a human handling a gun.... not the gun handling the ammo. It is weird, but probably a combination of powder speed, chamber length and muzzle blast that contributes but the felt difference is quite significant even at the same bullet energy.

Is it possible for you to post a video of a bill drill with that gun on a timer at 7 yards using full power ammo? I’d love to
    Maybe next time out Ill chrono my wifes 2" m15 but @paul105 has posted some really good velocity from his 2.75v gun as well.

I can either time myself, or record myself My phone cant do both at the same time. I need to get an actual shot timer I know.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    That is nice shooting with the power you have. Looks like about 0.35 splits with 0.75 transitions.

I would be looking for something that could do 0.25 splits or lower with 0.20 transitions, more similar to performance out of a micro 9mm semiauto.

You definitely need a timer! They’re a fantastic tool for shooting progress and dry training.

That is nice shooting with the power you have. Looks like about 0.35 splits with 0.75 transitions.

I would be looking for something that could do 0.25 splits or lower with 0.20 transitions, more similar to performance out of a micro 9mm semiauto.

You definitely need a timer! They’re a fantastic tool for shooting progress and dry training.
    Yeah. For more of a comp gun/ammo I should use .38s. I figure Im shooting against guys with rds on full sized autos and will never match their speed so I might as well make the biggest boom there.

I got a coyote a few weeks ago and shattered both shoulders and the bone fragments were launched several yards away with a 170gr swc which Ive never seen or done with a 9mm. Infact I once had an offside shoulder on a coyote stop a 9mm gold dot.

Obviously not the same as defensive shootings I know.

Yeah. For more of a comp gun/ammo I should use .38s. I figure Im shooting against guys with rds on full sized autos and will never match their speed so I might as well make the biggest boom there.

I got a coyote a few weeks ago and shattered both shoulders and the bone fragments were launched several yards away with a 170gr swc which Ive never seen or done with a 9mm. Infact I once had an offside shoulder on a coyote stop a 9mm gold dot.

Obviously not the same as defensive shootings I know.
    You’re a good shooter and the ammo is powerful.

For the same reason I don’t carry a 10mm semi-auto, I’m looking for something more of a katana than a broadsword.

I chronographed some revolver ammo the other day.

38 Special Federal 148 grain wadcutters went an average of 656 fps out of a 4" Model 10.

9mm Federal 147 HST went an average of 1002 fps out of a 3" SP101.

9mm Federal AE9F9 went an average of 926 fps out of a 3" SP101.

9mm Federal AE9Fp went an average of 965 fps out of a Glock 19.

On a different day, Fed 9mm 147 HST went an average of 958 fps out of a Glock 43.

Things that make you go Hmmmm.

You’re a good shooter and the ammo is powerful.

For the same reason I don’t carry a 10mm semi-auto, I’m looking for something more of a katana than a broadsword.
    Its the viking in me that loves the battle axe

Maybe next time out Ill chrono my wifes 2" m15 but @paul105 has posted some really good velocity from his 2.75v gun as well.

A bit of unsolicited advice that's worth about a 10th of a second on your reload - on both your reloads you looked up at the targets before the cylinder was fully closed, but kept the gun down outside of your eyeliner while you closed up shop. Once you've looked the rounds into the chambers, you can start moving the gun as you close the cylinder; your head will always be faster, but closing up shop and moving the gun at the same time is a noticeable speed improvement. It's something I still work on in regular dry fire.

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    I chronographed some revolver ammo the other day.

38 Special Federal 148 grain wadcutters went an average of 656 fps out of a 4" Model 10.

9mm Federal 147 HST went an average of 1002 fps out of a 3" SP101.

9mm Federal AE9F9 went an average of 926 fps out of a 3" SP101.

9mm Federal AE9Fp went an average of 965 fps out of a Glock 19.

On a different day, Fed 9mm 147 HST went an average of 958 fps out of a Glock 43.

Things that make you go Hmmmm.
    I know, right? And how did the 9mm feel compared to the 38?

I did the same experiment with a P365 versus a LCR9 versus an MP340.

Lucky Gunner also did something similar.

Commercial 9mm seems to be optimized for applications as low as 3” (which is like a 2” revolver when you account for cylinder versus chamber measuring conventions).

User Tag List