Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: JCN’s take on modern fighting revolvers

Darryl sent me this (photo) about an hour ago.

Name:  6DA1A82C-03A1-425A-BECA-928FB5F3BAB9.jpg
Views: 1488
Size:  61.4 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    If Darryl, his other brother Darryl or Larry haven’t tried it, the Apex hammer is luscious.

With the donated PC parts too, trigger pull is a smooooth 7.5#.

Going to see if any issues with ignition. Otherwise will use the “carry” spring instead of the “competition” one.

I think I’m going to keep it without a dot for now due to the role it might take.

My 327PC holster still fits it and it’s so comfy with the slim grips.

Name:  D24F7769-6C88-4C64-87D0-25592EDA2F2F.jpg
Views: 1025
Size:  61.7 KB

Conceals extremely well!

Name:  1C1C26C9-9B14-4D37-BD66-27A0AE20CCC2.jpg
Views: 974
Size:  26.9 KB
    Last edited by JCN; 04-08-2021 at 08:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post

Name:  6DA1A82C-03A1-425A-BECA-928FB5F3BAB9.jpg
Views: 1488
Size:  61.4 KB
    Sweet fightin’ sixgun!

That mount for the ACRO, which, I believe, requires the three threaded screw holes for mounting, is a reason I am on the lookout for a specific range of pre-keyhole S&W revolver model variants. I had thought I had realized that goal, Thursday, a 686-4, but then saw that it was Mag-Na-Ported, with only 2.5” of barrel, which might not play well with an ACRO.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Site Supporter
    The images bring back waves of nostalgia. An odd thing is that when these revolvers were plentiful, they went largely unnoticed.
    That is, we took them for granted. An exception was a "2 inch .38" or the very fine 2 1/2 inch Model 19 or Model 66.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    A few years back, I did some ballistic testing and 357 Magnum out of a <2” barrel stinks.

9mm actually has better ammo selection and as good or better velocities out of barrels that short.

Over 2”, then 357 Magnum starts to shine.

I’m looking to my 327 Nightguard with 2.5” barrel as the basis of my “modern fighting revolver” build..
    Ecclesiastes 1:9 never goes out of style.

Based on empirical use by my handful of now-elderly flyover country cranks, I consider 3" to be the point below which .357 Magnum stops returning dividends. Having put revolvers on the back burner for some time, I am willing to admit that I may possibly be a Luddite on barrel length. It has been a long time since a .357 round has gone through my DAO SP101, and the only benefit to having the long chambers as I see it is allowing the use of .357 in a pinch.

(While I do not own one at this time and probably never will again, a 2-1/4" SP101 in 9mm makes for a dandy small SHTF snub. I do not like the procedural hassles of moon and half-moon clips, but consider quality clips to be the cat's pajamas for actual use.)

I have carried some big iron OWB over the years but not concealed, as I don't dress like Dallas Stoudenmire posing for a portrait. My personal limit in cylinder girth for CCW is (roughly) a garden-variety GP100 or L-frame, as I seem to be unusually bugged by cylinder width. Barrel length I have already voted on years ago and 4" (DA) and 4-5/8" (SA) are as long as I want.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    That mount for the ACRO, which, I believe, requires the three threaded screw holes for mounting, is a reason I am on the lookout for a specific range of pre-keyhole S&W revolver model variants. I had thought I had realized that goal, Thursday, a 686-4, but then saw that it was Mag-Na-Ported, with only 2.5” of barrel, which might not play well with an ACRO.
    Question for you: why pre-keyhole?

I have used similar three hole mounts on my keyhole wheel guns and they work fine.

I’m of the impression that even when the sights have 2 screws, the frame still has three holes.

At least that’s been my experience with my 686, 929 and 625.

@jetfire

Philosophical question for you, what is your thought of extended cylinder releases on fighting revolvers?

The extended release makes it faster to reload, but I could see it being a liability if it were accidentally engaged.

Does anyone make one that’s halfway in between the gamer Hogue and the regular stock one?

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    @jetfire

Philosophical question for you, what is your thought of extended cylinder releases on fighting revolvers?

The extended release makes it faster to reload, but I could see it being a liability if it were accidentally engaged.

Does anyone make one that’s halfway in between the gamer Hogue and the regular stock one?
    I have never put an extended cylinder release on any revolver, to be honest. The few times I've messed around with them I found them too easy to activate on accident with how I grip the gun

Site Supporter
    Lack of 7 round Safariland Comp II speedloaders is the only thing that has kept me off the 686+ train.

User Tag List