Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: JCN’s take on modern fighting revolvers

Hammertime
    Thanks for the informative thread. It makes me happy I didn't get rid of my very durable, but kinda unpleasant to shoot 9mm LCR in the great gun sell off.

Now to find a 9mm SP101...

Quote Originally Posted by Irishmike View Post
    Thank you for that, i should check. Im running hordnay +p+ "critical defense" short barrel rounds, but even those may perform a little less than stellar with that little of barrel length. This model does get an actual 2" barrel due to the fitment against the shorter .357 cylnder. But still, excellent point nonetheless
    A couple interesting things about the 327PC that I’ll share from my personal experience with them.

My velocities with my 327PC were actually lower than with my 1.875” J frames with the same ammo.

So I actually tightened up the cylinder gap which is fairly easy to do on these threaded barrel revolvers with a special barrel nut tool.

I am happy to loan you the tool if you want it. It’s similar to a Dan Wesson wrench but narrower slats.

I also had about 30-50 fps increase when I used moon clips too. So test as you carry.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    A couple interesting things about the 327PC that I’ll share from my personal experience with them.

My velocities with my 327PC were actually lower than with my 1.875” J frames with the same ammo.

So I actually tightened up the cylinder gap which is fairly easy to do on these threaded barrel revolvers with a special barrel nut tool.

I am happy to loan you the tool if you want it. It’s similar to a Dan Wesson wrench but narrower slats.

I also had about 30-50 fps increase when I used moon clips too. So test as you carry.

That is fascinating, i never figured that much velocity could be lost just with a few micrometers worth of slack, but it makes total sense. Youre making me want to buy a chrono now. It never ends lol

Ill have to do a little measuring when i get home. I may take you up on the loan of a barrel wrench, id be happy to pay shipping both ways. Thanks!

Between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    Looks like they don't have an 45 ACP round guns on their website anymore now.
    S&W? I had to look, and you are correct.

Maybe I'm the only guy who thought that a .45 ACP or .45 Auto Rim N-frame was one of the few revolvers that was a pleasure to shoot all day, yet something that up close would slap a miscreant back beyond last week. A bit big, but man, what sweethearts they are... or were.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

If you have a chrono, you might want to check your carry ammo.

Attachment 70143

The 327PC barrel length often gives the ballistic power of a 380ACP LCP / G42 when shooting 38 special.

I used the gun as a diaper bag carry for a couple years with a Magna trigger but be aware that despite it feeling powerful, ballistically with 38 special it’s not all that.

That was actually part of the impetus to combining it with a longer barrel Nightguard and eventually going to 9mm in a short barrel revolver.
    It's hard enough to find .38 that isn't underpowered in any gun.

Buffalo bore is still pushing 1000fps with a 158gr swc that should still be pretty mild with those big grips.

Id use .357 golden sabers or critical duty if I wasn't carrying reloads in a short .357

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"

If the 327 PD had that nut, mine would have been repairable.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    It's hard enough to find .38 that isn't underpowered in any gun.

Buffalo bore is still pushing 1000fps with a 158gr swc that should still be pretty mild with those big grips.

Id use .357 golden sabers or critical duty if I wasn't carrying reloads in a short .357
    I have Underwood 38 that’s like that too. But it’s really not that pleasant to shoot and I find follow up shot speed really tough with 357 magnum. I’ve been pretty impressed with 9mm out of these shorter barrels and for whatever reason, I find them ballistically similar to their 3-3.4” semi-auto counterparts and really decent to shoot out of a revolver.

When I get things finally set up, I’ll run some drills on video comparing semi-auto to revolver with ballistics.

I have Underwood 38 that’s like that too. But it’s really not that pleasant to shoot and I find follow up shot speed really tough with 357 magnum. I’ve been pretty impressed with 9mm out of these shorter barrels and for whatever reason, I find them ballistically similar to their 3-3.4” semi-auto counterparts and really decent to shoot out of a revolver.

When I get things finally set up, I’ll run some drills on video comparing semi-auto to revolver with ballistics.
    Id appreciate it. Im having a hard time wrapping my head around a gun handling 9mm 125s @ 1200 fps better than .357 125s @ 1200 fps.

Nothing wrong with options though. I really like the options to shoot 9mm, .38, and .357s in one gun. For store bought defensive ammo the 9mm does have a lot of options.

I’d really to have a 9mm revolver, for training, simply because I started 2020 with a modest but decent supply of 9mm, and have been able to get more 9mm, throughout 2020 and into 2021. For a while, I was able to refresh my very modest supply of .357 Mag, but then .357 became very difficult to find. It is .38 Special carry ammo that has been problematic, compelling me to treat each cartridge like it was the precious Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch.

For defensive carry, it has been a long time since I worried about exact velocities, or maximum effieciency, from snub-guns. If I want ~1400 FPS, mas o menos, I know that I need to carry one of my 4” or longer guns. (In 1993, in a line-of-duty shooting, I used a 4” GP100, with full-pressure Federal 125-grain JHC, to make the biggest hole I had ever seen, caused by any handgun, in a human being. In 33+ years of policin’ Houston’s mean streets, I saw many handgun bullet injuries, and more than a few rifle bullet injuries.) As a result, am partial to 4” .357 Magnum revolvers, whenever I feel the need to up-gun, for any reason.
    Last edited by Rex G; 04-14-2021 at 01:54 PM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Id appreciate it. Im having a hard time wrapping my head around a gun handling 9mm 125s @ 1200 fps better than .357 125s @ 1200 fps.

Nothing wrong with options though. I really like the options to shoot 9mm, .38, and .357s in one gun. For store bought defensive ammo the 9mm does have a lot of options.
    Oh, I’m talking about a human handling a gun.... not the gun handling the ammo. It is weird, but probably a combination of powder speed, chamber length and muzzle blast that contributes but the felt difference is quite significant even at the same bullet energy.

I think your 2.75” revolver might be an anomalous unicorn, lol. I was thinking of the ~ 2 inch varieties of revolver that are a fair amount more ballistically anemic.

Is it possible for you to post a video of a bill drill with that gun on a timer at 7 yards using full power ammo? I’d love to
    See what that looks like.

User Tag List