Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IWB with a RDO?

Site Supporter

IWB with a RDO?

I'm in the process of dipping my toe into the red dot waters - Langdon has the slide for one of my PX4s and a Holosun 507c is on its way to me. I've been using a JMCK IWB 3 for the PX4s, but I contacted Tony and he told me that the standard holster won't work if modified for the red dot since it sits too low. My instinct is to just order another IWB 3 set up for a red dot but wanted to check the hive mind to see if there are possible issues that might arise with the pistol carried at about 3-3:30.

I know the default answer for a lot of folks will be to go AIWB. I'm 69 and don't really want to reprogram decades worth of neural pathways at this point in time...which isn't the same as "no".

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I'm in the process of dipping my toe into the red dot waters - Langdon has the slide for one of my PX4s and a Holosun 507c is on its way to me. I've been using a JMCK IWB 3 for the PX4s, but I contacted Tony and he told me that the standard holster won't work if modified for the red dot since it sits too low. My instinct is to just order another IWB 3 set up for a red dot but wanted to check the hive mind to see if there are possible issues that might arise with the pistol carried at about 3-3:30.

I know the default answer for a lot of folks will be to go AIWB. I'm 69 and don't really want to reprogram decades worth of neural pathways at this point in time...which isn't the same as "no".
    As an aiwb guy for 15 years, I say give strong side with a dot a chance before changing things. The only thing that might be a problem is depending how close to 3:00 you carry and how much cant the dot might stick out past your hip and print some. But that’s a big might.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Site Supporter

I have IWB#'s with dot cuts for G17, P320 and P365XL. no issues. Buy once, cry once. Just get the IWB3 made for the dot.

With an RMR on a Glock, there was no discernible difference in concealment vs an irons-only gun. IWB3 with an optic cut.
    Grab your gun and bring in the cat.

I've been experimenting with AIWB. I've bought several AIWB holster for my Glock 19. I recently bought a Keepers "The Keeper" set up for RDO. It's the most comfortable holster I've ever worn, including IWB and OWB. The extra "guard" area on the holster, to keep the RDO from rubbing against my gut, increases the surface area and eliminates pinching with the slide. It conceals "okay" under a Carhartt cotton t-shirt but conceals really well under a plaid, untucked button-up shirt.

Site Supporter
    I carry a G26 or G19 in a JM IWB 3 at 330 to 4. With the G19, I have a small sweet spot where neither the butt of the gun or the RMR is really printing, but with a small frame and a size 30 waist I don't have a lot of real estate to hide it. Of course, the 26 is much easier. I think that slight printing from the RMR is less likely to scream "gun!" than the butt sticking out, though the further you have the holster behind your hip or if you have a wing to tuck the butt in tighter, the more it pivots the slide outwards and makes the red dot print.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I have IWB#'s with dot cuts for G17, P320 and P365XL. no issues. Buy once, cry once. Just get the IWB3 made for the dot.
    I agree based on experience with a G19 G5 MOS and a Holo 507C plus a TLR7. It's a JMCK, Q-IWB3-LB-Glock, IWB 3 Light-Bearing Holster for Glock that I carry 3 o'clock-ish. Conceals well under an untucked shirt. I’m sure it doesn’t make sense to lots of folks but I can’t comfortably AIWB a SFA without a safety. That’s the platform I’ve started my RDO carry journey as I wait for the Px4 CC option. As soon as LTC offers the G2 RDO option for the Px4 CC I will be AIWB-ing that in a BRC holster with RDO cut and a TLR7. I carry the Px4 CC AIWB in the BRC holster with the TLR7 and optics cut, ACS - Beretta, it's a great holster also and I'd recommend it. I don't see that there will be any comfy or concealment problems when I add the RDO to it.
    Last edited by medmo; 04-11-2021 at 01:19 PM.

I was an IWB guy for about 8 years before switching to AIWB. My switch to AIWB happened before I switched from irons to RDO, but I did experiment briefly with a G19/RMR combo with 3:00 carry. I found that the optic cut on the holster (JMC IWB3) limited the amount of cant to 10°. For my body type, I preferred 15-20° of cant. As long as you're good with that limitation, I don't think you'll find any printing from the optic itself.

I just recently added a red dot while switching guns. Glock 17 with irons gave way to CZP10 with a Holosun 507. Both carried in a Phlster floodlight AIWB. Somehow the CZ is even more comfortable.

I'm in the process of dipping my toe into the red dot waters - Langdon has the slide for one of my PX4s and a Holosun 507c is on its way to me. I've been using a JMCK IWB 3 for the PX4s, but I contacted Tony and he told me that the standard holster won't work if modified for the red dot since it sits too low.
    @revchuck38 did you ever decide which way you were going (modify or new?)

I'm looking for help, as I'm in a similar situation. I have a G48 slide in to Primary Machine for milling for a 507k that hasn't arrived back yet. I have to determine whether to order a new holster, or modify what I have to fit, so was wondering what you ended up doing.

In my case, I have a Dark Star Gear Hitchhiker, AIWB, on a steel clip. My current thought is to just start by inserting the gun into the holster, then removing kydex (dremel, file, etc.) material where the slide / optic fouls the upper part of the holster, but with Tony's comment, I'm kind of rethinking that.

User Tag List