Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally broke the 1.7s reload barrier.

Finally broke the 1.7s reload barrier.

Been working on revolver reload speed recently and chamfering the cylinder was good for about 0.1 sec on the clock.

I'm trying to see if I can get down to a 1.6-1.7 sec consistent revolver reload (Jerry Miculek is a 1.5 ish reload, I think).

With a stock 625 I was at 1.83 sec, chamfering the cylinder got me to 1.72 sec and reducing the retention on the moon clip holder got down to 1.69 sec.

I feel like installing an extended cylinder release will help as well.

When I set out and completed the 50 round FBI semi-auto handgun COF with 50/50 score using a 2" revolver (327PC) I had to chamfer the cylinder and use nickel plated 38 special in order to make the reload par times.

Very cool and all, but the way you lock out your elbows gives me arthritis just watching the video.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Very cool and all, but the way you lock out your elbows gives me arthritis just watching the video.
    Haha! That’s not normal for me. The shot timer is set to pick up hammer strike but it also picks up closing the cylinder and other noises in reloading. So I’m trying to get the muzzle RIGHT on the timer microphone so I can use it with the sensitivity set lower. But if I don’t get the muzzle to less than an inch of the timer, it won’t pick up.

Hence the flail to get the muzzle to the timer and the funny looking extension.

There’s also the GoPro fish eye effect.

This is what my revolver extension usually looks like, still a little bend and cushion.

I figure if I can keep the reload to 1.7ish seconds I have a shot at a sub-5 second revolver FAST.
    Last edited by JCN; 04-07-2021 at 12:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Haha! That’s not normal for me. The shot timer is set to pick up hammer strike but it also picks up closing the cylinder and other noises in reloading. So I’m trying to get the muzzle RIGHT on the timer microphone so I can use it with the sensitivity set lower. But if I don’t get the muzzle to less than an inch of the timer, it won’t pick up.

Hence the flail to get the muzzle to the timer and the funny looking extension.

There’s also the GoPro fish eye effect.

This is what my revolver extension usually looks like, still a little bend and cushion.

I figure if I can keep the reload to 1.7ish seconds I have a shot at a sub-5 second revolver FAST.
    You really only need a mildly sub-2.00 reload for a sub 5 FAST. A 1.35 draw and a .35 split to the head puts you at 1.70, add in 2.00 for the reload and you're only at 3.70, which gives you basically a week to nail the three remaining body shots. Shooting the head fast is the best way to "buy" free time later on the drill. But that reload was pretty dope, not gonna lie

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    You really only need a mildly sub-2.00 reload for a sub 5 FAST. A 1.35 draw and a .35 split to the head puts you at 1.70, add in 2.00 for the reload and you're only at 3.70, which gives you basically a week to nail the three remaining body shots. Shooting the head fast is the best way to "buy" free time later on the drill. But that reload was pretty dope, not gonna lie
    Thanks @jetfire you’re kind of my revolver inspiration!

Site Supporter
    Very nice work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    Damn Im slacking. I thought 4 seconds was good.

Cool.

My best is around 2.5 with either speed loaders or moon clips. I've only ever timed my self live fire. My timer won't register dry fire.

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    Cool.

My best is around 2.5 with either speed loaders or moon clips. I've only ever timed my self live fire. My timer won't register dry fire.
    I also count a dry trigger pull

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Damn Im slacking. I thought 4 seconds was good.
    I think of USPSA classification as a separate sport than field courses.

I have a wild hair up my ass that maybe I’ll try for revolver paper GM shooting major.

For that I’d need a 1.6-1.7s reload in my pocket so that’s the motivation.

I have a bunch of 45ACP I’m not using and the DA press helps my discipline.

User Tag List