Thread: Large RDS on Rifle - Target Obscuration durng left-to-right transitions

Large RDS on Rifle - Target Obscuration durng left-to-right transitions

I have two 9mm SBR used for home defense and competition. I have been running a Holosun 407C on the competition gun (Steel Challenge and USPSA), but recently tried and older Trijicon MRO. I like the larger field-of-view, but find even with the RDS at the end of the receiver rail I'm having difficulty acquiring targets transitioning left-to-right. This might be somewhat related to my lack of binocular vision (can't fuse left and right eyes). Is it worth moving the RDS further outboard or is this something to train through? Didn't notice this with the smaller Holosun. As an old guy this doesn't matter much save for the fact that my HD configuration includes a Holosun 510 which is, itself, fairly large.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post
    I have two 9mm SBR used for home defense and competition. I have been running a Holosun 407C on the competition gun (Steel Challenge and USPSA), but recently tried and older Trijicon MRO. I like the larger field-of-view, but find even with the RDS at the end of the receiver rail I'm having difficulty acquiring targets transitioning left-to-right. This might be somewhat related to my lack of binocular vision (can't fuse left and right eyes). Is it worth moving the RDS further outboard or is this something to train through? Didn't notice this with the smaller Holosun. As an old guy this doesn't matter much save for the fact that my HD configuration includes a Holosun 510 which is, itself, fairly large.
    It might be worth trying to move the dot all the way back as well. Check where Lena Miculek is running the dot on her PCC, and nobody would say her transitions are slow.

Name:  9306BAB0-25C2-48EC-9C21-EC79F2B7BDA1.jpeg
Views: 431
Size:  22.8 KB

As a limited binocular vision guy myself on larger transitions I’ll look out of the box of the dot to pick up the next target and then let my eye go back to the center of the dot while I’m swinging the gun to the target. My cheek weld doesn’t change it’s all eyeball within socket movement and I feel like I’m doing a crappy job explaining what I mean.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Appreciate the input. I'm going to the range today and set up more of a controlled experiment: three equally-space targets at the same distance. I can time left-to-right and right-to-left with the optic in different positions and with my original RDS setup. This should give me a decent read on which way to go.

I'm going to stick with a small optic. Absent binocular vision I'm unable to fuse left and right eye imagery and the FOV (field of view) of the optic, itself, is too small to support quick target acquisition. I'm going to try the small optic close in which will decrease the obscuration present in my left eye FOV. I'll see how that goes. FWIW, I couldn't pass the Air Force basic pilot visual tests despite having my left eye operated on many, many years ago. Binoculars, same issue. I can fuse left and right eyes in the F-35 helmet mounted display (worked on the design team), but that's an outlier; it's a fabulous piece of gear.

It might be counter-intuitive, but running the MRO as close to your face as you can get it might yield positive results for your particular situation.

Site Supporter
    I have zero vision fusion. Had it from birth. I've never seen in 3D.

I have the best results with a larger optic (PRO sized) or LPVO. I run them both very close to my eye, because basically, that's my entire field of view. I've had some success with the open emitter optics further away, but I still do better with them closer.

Just another data point.

Not necessarily advocating this, but it reminds me of this article: http://looserounds.com/wp-content/up...rik-Lund-1.pdf
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

User Tag List