Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Treasure sought for and Found

Uncle Scotty discusses one of his revolvers with Hurst grips:
    https://youtu.be/u1nsgQzRGBc

I passed up a 6" pre-14 a few years back because I didn't want to spend $500 for it.

Idiot!
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I have a Model 19-3 and it is also one of the last guns I would ever sell.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeke38 View Post

A few weeks ago I visited a Pawn Shop I rarely go to and spied this beauty lying in the bottom of a multi tiered glass display case. A bit grungy with oily dark crud on the barrel just under the rib and some of the same on the cylinder. But what caught my eye were the grips! Asked to see it and mechanically it has been expertly tuned with trigger polished out and a trigger stop put in the trigger and the one removed from the interior of the frame. Action smooth as grease on glass and timing perfect. 3lb single and 7-8 lb double, no hitches no glitches no walls to overcome just a perfect roll to the rear with that nice smooth DA target trigger. 4 screw and the the frame and the crane had been matched to put the cylinder in perfect alignment with the barrel. The grips appear to be and I believe they are John Hurst grips. Serial number dates to 1949 or 50 if I'm reading the Catalog correctly.

OTD for 490.00 and brought it home and it cleaned up nicely. I've owned 4 or 5 Model 14s over the years, didn't have one currently until this one, but this one is perfection, most any gun is mechanically superior to my marksmanship abilities but this 14 makes me look good. What a treasure and a pleasure for this old man to enjoy!
    Beautiful revolver with great stocks as a bonus.
    You did great, Sir.

Definitely Hurst.

Hurst grips were often given out as prizes at SoCal PPC matches in the early ‘80s. I know that Cheshire & Perez also had some fancy Hurst grips for sale in the same era. If made for a particular customer, likely their name will be written inside. I won a couple pairs, had a couple pairs made and bought one or two pairs from C&P. The ones awarded at the matches and sold thru C&P came in white cardboard boxes with a clear plastic slip on top. I’ll try to post a picture.
    Last edited by LtDave; 04-07-2021 at 05:33 PM.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

To answer a couple of questions raised: I was told by the Pawn shop person that the weapon was shipped in from their affiliate in Seattle as it wouldn't sell there. FWIW! The gun had a lot of crud on the exterior, which appeared to have been petroleum based. Half an hour of cleaning the exterior and a rod through the barrel and chambers a couple of times she shined right up. No name on the grips. On the frame under the crane there are three marks: the letter M and a circle with the number 9 inside and the number 7 by itself without any circle or any other symbol.

I was wrong as to beinging a Model # gun. The serial # is K 321XXX. I would love to meet the owner(s) of this old treasure. I have shot this gun at 25 yards sighting it in. First load is 5.0 grains of Unique and a 158 grain CSWC. Shot good 3-4" Weaver stance single action. Second load was a 148 WC over 3.8 grains of 231 and WW primer. 3-3.5". Little tighter with the WC load. The Hurst grips and the "supertuned" action has caused this to jump ahead of my old Pre 29 range gun. A pic of the rear of the Hurst grips. An earlier poster stated that Hurst had the handgun grip design dialed in. I think that poster was more than correct.

Hurst grip packaging

Here are a couple pics of the “retail” packaging that Hurst grips came with. I have another box that is unmarked.
    Name:  A9DFA18E-CF35-4E55-AB95-0F2B93E7BCC8.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  54.8 KB

Name:  5151810B-88EA-4203-B128-E07A9FC1F691.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  32.4 KB

They came with thin foam padding on the bottom.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

That’s a beauty.

I really wish someone would recreate those grips/checkering but made out of G10.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

User Tag List