I ran up to my range today to sight in a .22 LR rifle and also decided to bring a pair of .357's and 22 LR revolvers to shoot as well. I had high hopes to shoot at paper and be able to actually measure the group size, but the desert is a windy place and today was no exception. I tried to use my paper target stands, but they kept blowing over. Luckily I brought my steel gong and had some paint there to freshen up the gong for each round.

I brought my 5" 27-2 to shoot against my 6" GP100 and my 6" K22 to shoot against my 5" GP100.

Name:  IMG-1469.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  101.1 KB

I started with the .22's at 25 yards and shot 10 rounds of single action, supported and then an additional 10 rounds of double action, supported for 20 rounds total. I used 10 rounds because I started with the Ruger and then realized the Smith needed a few more rounds to catch up.

For this match up, the K22 won. It has a very smooth action and the sights were easier to be precise with. The Ruger has a better double action, but the fiber optic front sight is harder for me to define a repeatable aiming point.

Name:  IMG-1484.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  84.4 KB

Name:  IMG-1479.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  74.0 KB

I think if I was going to put on my favorite pair of boots, grab a canteen, and walk the dry washes for cottontails, the K22 would be my first choice. If I am going to hop on my TW200 or ATV and headout into the mountains or deserts for no particular reason, then I would probably grab the GP100.

Next up were the .357's. I fired the same course at the same distance using 6 rounds per stage or 12 total. In this match-up the Ruger won. I have to admit that I have had this Ruger for a long time and know it well.

Name:  IMG-1494.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  80.3 KB

Name:  IMG-1489.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  79.0 KB

I would probably use these revolvers in similar fashion to the .22's. I would be nicer to the Smith and use the Ruger rougher endeavours. They are both great shooters though!

The day ended in a tie: One for Smith and One for Ruger.

I had a great day and really enjoyed relaxing and getting in some good time with some of my favorite revolvers.