Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An Odd Duck Gets New Boots

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To

An Odd Duck Gets New Boots

Name:  8C4D1A4C-0268-4F27-9169-5D3FFAB81FBC.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  89.3 KB

The first handgun I ever owned. Dan Wesson 15-2. Originally purchased with a 6” barrel, I managed to stumble upon an additional 3 barrels 2.5”, 4”, 8” over the years. Grips of any type are hard to come by. It came with target stocks that I immediately replaced with some Pachmyr Decellerators. A while back, I found these somewhere I can’t recall but snapped them up. They sat at the back of the parts bin since, mostly forgotten. A bit of an odd piece, but it is scary accurate (if you take time to find the sweet spot barrel gap.) I decided to take it out for a spin tomorrow to see how the stocks feel...finally.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post

The first handgun I ever owned. Dan Wesson 15-2. Originally purchased with a 6” barrel, I managed to stumble upon an additional 3 barrels 2.5”, 4”, 8” over the years. Grips of any type are hard to come by. It came with target stocks that I immediately replaced with some Pachmyr Decellerators. A while back, I found these somewhere I can’t recall but snapped them up. They sat at the back of the parts bin since, mostly forgotten. A bit of an odd piece, but it is scary accurate (if you take time to find the sweet spot barrel gap.) I decided to take it out for a spin tomorrow to see how the stocks feel...finally.
    Looks like a 19-3 with a 2.5" barrel, sort of. And yeah, the accuracy is amazing.

In the P-F basket of deplorables.

A friend of mine just bought a Dan Wesson with a 6” barrel. I would love to find one with a 4” barrel and then find a 2 1/2” extra barrel.

Well that experiment failed. Lol. With the finger groove wood stocks, it gets kinda “whippy”, especially when shooting stiff .38s or .357s. It’s the same issue I had with the GP100 .44 and the Compact Letts. To me, it seems like there is a lot of mass above the skinny grips and it throws the entire thing off balance.

....Maybe I got limp wrists.

(Not that there’s anything wrong with that.)

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Elvis Cole's gun!
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Ha! I had to dig around to get that one...lol

I read a couple of Crais’ books but never got into them for some reason. I was a John Sanford fan for a while due to my familiarity with the upper Midwest. I have a buddy at work who was part time LAPD. We had our own “Book of the Month Club” going for a few years. I was spending a lot of time in SOCAL and was trying to learn the area. He would supply me with Bosch books, and I would return the favor with Lucas Davenport.

I literally JUST started reading and watching the Longmire series. (Yeah...I’m a bit behind the power curve entertainment wise...)
    Last edited by entropy; 04-06-2021 at 03:13 PM.

Site Supporter
    My first handgun was also a model 15-2, which I acquired with a 6" barrel, and purchased a 2.5" barrel. When I moved to a state that later enacted shall-issue concealed carry, i tried to carry it. The grips were the single biggest obstacle to good concealment, and unfortunately I am unaware of any compact grip options for this gun. I am using Pachmayr Presentation grips, which if I recall correctly are a size small (I may be incorrect about different sizes being available). I do not see Dan Wesson on Pachmayr's current website.

Holster selection is also a limiting factor.

The lack of aftermarket support is disappointing, because these are nice, under-appreciated guns.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    My first handgun was also a model 15-2, which I acquired with a 6" barrel, and purchased a 2.5" barrel. When I moved to a state that later enacted shall-issue concealed carry, i tried to carry it. The grips were the single biggest obstacle to good concealment, and unfortunately I am unaware of any compact grip options for this gun. I am using Pachmayr Presentation grips, which if I recall correctly are a size small (I may be incorrect about different sizes being available). I do not see Dan Wesson on Pachmayr's current website.

Holster selection is also a limiting factor.

The lack of aftermarket support is disappointing, because these are nice, under-appreciated guns.
    Back when I had Dan Wesson's, I had a small collection of Model 15 grips, found over time, in gun show bins. At least one of them was a boot grip style, another was relatively similar in profile to S&W magnas. Couldn't tell you who made them though. Never used this grip maker but recall they had a good reputation on the DW forums:

http://lbcustomgrips.com/grips/revolver-grips/

If I recall right their Speed Grip is a smaller size intended for snub barrel carry.

There are a few custom leather makers that have patterns for the M15 snub barrels as well (though prices are generally up there).

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    Back when I had Dan Wesson's, I had a small collection of Model 15 grips, found over time, in gun show bins. At least one of them was a boot grip style, another was relatively similar in profile to S&W magnas. Couldn't tell you who made them though. Never used this grip maker but recall they had a good reputation on the DW forums:

http://lbcustomgrips.com/grips/revolver-grips/

If I recall right their Speed Grip is a smaller size intended for snub barrel carry.

There are a few custom leather makers that have patterns for the M15 snub barrels as well (though prices are generally up there).
    Their Shootist grip appears to make a lot of sense for concealed carry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Well that experiment failed. Lol. With the finger groove wood stocks, it gets kinda “whippy”, especially when shooting stiff .38s or .357s. It’s the same issue I had with the GP100 .44 and the Compact Letts. To me, it seems like there is a lot of mass above the skinny grips and it throws the entire thing off balance.

....Maybe I got limp wrists.

(Not that there’s anything wrong with that.)
    Maybe you should try a pair of these boots for your odd duck:

User Tag List