Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ruger M77 scope mounting/shimming help

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Not sure whether you're giving me some good natured crap about stating something "everyone" already knows, but assuming that's not the case...

https://shopruger.com/searchscopering.asp

Notice how the low, medium, and high setups just move the rear ring to the front position to go up a "height" level. The red underlined text is links that takes you to all the rings of that spec.

Attachment 69837
    No, I genuinely had no idea. That is fantastic! Thank you.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Measured my rings and used Brownells’ descriptions to figure out I have a low setup. From there used the Ruger reference chart to determine I needed a 5B and picked one up from Optics Planet. Thanks for the help!
    Food Court Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    The problem with that is shimming will make the ring narrower as well as raising the bottom. Narrower makes it an excessive interference fit on the sides of the scope and you'll force the threads for the screws out of alignment with the upper ring holes, tending to cross thread them if you can thread them at all, making the rings unusable. You may be better off just buying new rings and selling these.

Although one nice thing about Ruger using different height rings is you can just buy one new ring and move the taller existing ring to the shorter ring position.

My apoligies, I assumed you knew this.. I'm glad it has work out.

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Heirloom gun, Bicentennial Ruger M77 in .30-06. I’ve had several Leupold Vari-X II 3-9x40’s on this rifle and also a couple Vari-x III 2.5-8x36’s. I wanted a little longer tube to be a little more forgiving of eye relief and head position when wearing bulky winter clothes in late deer season.

I just got my hands on a Vari-x III 3.5-10x40 AO mode and it is JUST kissing the barrel. Without going to higher rings, is there any other way to use this scope? Shim the bottoms of the ring halves with a strip of thin plastic or electrical tape?

Can’t shim the mounts because it’s a Ruger M77 = direct-mount rings

Attachment 69826

Well, I saw this a little too late. But... if the Bicentennial M77 uses the same style ring mounts as the M77 MK2, and if your other solution does not pan out, then I could send you these Ruger to Weaver bases that open up a ton of ring options. Let me know if you would like to try them.

Name:  IMG_5249.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  37.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    Well, I saw this a little too late. But... if the Bicentennial M77 uses the same style ring mounts as the M77 MK2, and if your other solution does not pan out, then I could send you these Ruger to Weaver bases that open up a ton of ring options. Let me know if you would like to try them.

Name:  IMG_5249.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  37.6 KB
    Man, those are neat and thanks for the helpful offer, but I’m all set now:

Name:  8755E030-0353-45D0-81AC-99C8AA4B972B.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  79.7 KB
    Food Court Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Man, those are neat and thanks for the helpful offer, but I’m all set now:

Name:  8755E030-0353-45D0-81AC-99C8AA4B972B.jpg