Thread: Iowa Constitutional Carry

Iowa Constitutional Carry

I can’t believe I missed this, being both a carrying gun owner and a lawyer, but our governor signed a constitutional carry bill into law on Thursday. This is somewhat surprising, as for a free state we had a relatively restrictive approach to handguns - one was required to have either a carry permit or a permit to purchase in order to receive them, whether from an FFL or another individual. The permit was cheap and easy to get, but a requirement is a requirement. Gov. Reynolds has also said in the past that she wasn’t in favor of changing that. We do have a very strong gun lobby, so they probably called in a favor or something.

Now, everyone not legally barred from handgun possession can buy and carry. Purchases will require either a NICS check or the now-optional permit that will still function to bypass the background check requirement as before. Private transfers just require the transferor to not know of any facts that would make the transferee a prohibited person, I believe.

I’m still going to maintain a permit for various reasons, but at least I don’t have to be as worried about renewing quickly enough to avoid a gap in coverage or having it on me when I’m out for a quick walk.

ETA - goes into effect July 1.

That’s fantastic. I was born in Waterloo and went to school in Iowa City, but I don’t get back enough. Being able to drive to the Amanas without having to maintain the KS permit is a Boone.

Congrats to the Hawkeyes. 20 down, 30 to go.

User Tag List