Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me make my K-frame stop hurting me

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    That's a good place to start. Should be able to find them on fleabay for cheep. Something like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hogue-62000...k/182062625609

Or these if you can spend a little more:

https://vzgrips.com/products/s-w-k-l...l-diamond.html

Lots of people don't like rubber for concealed carry and lots more people don't like finger grooves.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    28-2 (N frame) wearing rosewood Hogue monogrip, and 15-4 (K frame) wearing Ahrends, with Herrett Roper I don’t like quite as much. All three wood grips have open back straps.

Name:  013D66FB-9328-486F-80FC-C23AF819221D.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  69.7 KB

N frame is right on the edge of being too big for me in DA, even with my large hands. With factory target grips, it’s unworkable. With thin Altamonts or these, it works, but only as a range/hunting gun, never for actual carry (as if I’d willingly carry a 6” N frame for anything but target shooting or hunting anyway!)

Name:  B067BE27-010E-45E9-9A87-646D27442C6F.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  43.7 KBName:  7DF7CC54-9A70-41F2-89BE-4A04E849A1FA.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  43.7 KBName:  B99F0654-B59E-4BD7-BC77-0F682AABADC6.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  35.8 KB

K frame is my happy place. Fit to hands, weight and bulk, etc, all just Goldilocks for me.

Name:  B52489D4-6291-4214-AAB6-94E72C097687.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  44.2 KBName:  28CA1363-BEB6-4BAB-AF43-7350E7E5AB46.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  37.7 KBName:  4A20A040-A6C3-488E-8413-D3B7ECC51E42.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  37.5 KB

I was initially going to say hand strength but it seems that shouldn't be an issue.

Agreed with better fitting grips. Not even necessarily rubber ones. G10 or wood that fits your hand will work better than ill fitting rubber.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I was initially going to say hand strength but it seems that shouldn't be an issue.

Agreed with better fitting grips. Not even necessarily rubber ones. G10 or wood that fits your hand will work better than ill fitting rubber.
    It could be hand strength, I and have a good way of measuring that directly though. I can do 50 reps with one of those golds gym hand strengthening things before I start to strain.

I can open jars that my wife can't.

Pachmyer Decelerators would be a perfect solution. They are comfortable and I like the way they feel. You can try MidwayUSA.com or Brownell's.com.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by AzShooter View Post
    Pachmyer Decelerators would be a perfect solution. They are comfortable and I like the way they feel. You can try MidwayUSA.com or Brownell's.com.
    Some people like them and some don’t. I dislike them intensely because they cover the back strap and increase trigger reach. Ruins the ergos of the K frame for me - it looks like OP needs a shorter trigger reach, so I don’t think that particular grip will be optimal for him.

On the other hand, if OP does want to try them, I’m sure I have a set I’m never going to use in my “grips that I’m not using” box.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by AzShooter View Post
    They might be “A” way to solve the OP’s issue, if they “decelerate” enough but they do by covering the back strap and increasing trigger reach so it would just mask the real issue, which is clear from the OP’s photos: covered blackstrap grips increase trigger reach too much for the OP to get a proper grip.

Nothing wrong with Pachmayrs but their open back strap models would be a better choice.
    Last edited by HCM; 04-04-2021 at 08:37 PM.

Agreed, better fitting grips first. For round butt Ks my hand prefers Hogue Bantam. Excellent texture for traction, sized for strong purchase and great ergo fit. That’s for my hand. I went on a grip “journey” with my Kimber K6S until I eventually found pain free grips.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Some people like them and some don’t. I dislike them intensely because they cover the back strap and increase trigger reach. Ruins the ergos of the K frame for me - it looks like OP needs a shorter trigger reach, so I don’t think that particular grip will be optimal for him.

On the other hand, if OP does want to try them, I’m sure I have a set I’m never going to use in my “grips that I’m not using” box.
    I should have mentioned earlier that I tried that grip.

I bought the revolver early last year, brought it home. Shot it. Hurt my hand. Researched best grip for recoil reduction on a k frame. Bought those grips, swapped them out. Shot 5 rounds, realised I could just barely reach the trigger, took them off and went back to the factory grips.

Used it to kill a cotton mouth in my dog kennel with the factory grips and a cci shotshell, didn't notice any pain and then covid hit full swing.

Been dryfiring with snap caps for nearly a year. Found a 250 rd box of .38 in the closet last week and thought I would take it out and try it again, hopefully with improved form from all the dry firing. Made some awesome double action shots initially but it wasn't pleasant to do. Wound up inducing a bit of a flinch with the first 24 rds. Used the remaining rounds in the 50 rnd box mixed in with snap caps to work that back out.

Thought I would ask here before I threw in the towel.

I am going to take the grips off and just see what type of trigger reach I can have with no grips before I throw more money at it.

I do appreciate everyone helping.

Quote Originally Posted by medmo View Post
    Agreed, better fitting grips first. For round butt Ks my hand prefers Hogue Bantam. Excellent texture for traction, sized for strong purchase and great ergo fit. That’s for my hand. I went on a grip “journey” with my Kimber K6S until I eventually found pain free grips.
    What did you end up with for your K6s? I want to try the Hogue rubber Bantams when I can find them without paying a premium.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List