Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help me make my K-frame stop hurting me

Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post
    I am going to take the grips off and just see what type of trigger reach I can have with no grips before.
    Smart. I did that with a 1911 (before finding out that there was such a thing as a ‘slim grip’) and fell in love.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    What did you end up with for your K6s? I want to try the Hogue rubber Bantams when I can find them without paying a premium.
    The Hogue rubber Bantams. I bought them directly from Hogue. Well worth the $. No more sting, (or blood and tears), when shooting +Ps or magnums. Pictured from left to right. Factory walnut, factory Control Core, and installed on the revolver, the Hogue Bantam.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by medmo View Post
    The Hogue rubber Bantams. I bought them directly from Hogue. Well worth the $. No more sting, (or blood and tears), when shooting +Ps or magnums. Pictured from left to right. Factory walnut, factory Control Core, and installed on the revolver, the Hogue Bantam.
    Thank you - I’ve been using Control Cores, but prefer the Bantams on my K and L frames.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Thank you - I’ve been using Control Cores, but prefer the Bantams on my K and L frames.
    The Control Core stopped the blood and tears from the factory walnut but I still had plenty of sting with hot loads. Hogue Bantams, perfect and pain free. Not that I’ll carry full toasty mag loads in it but I can shoot them relatively comfortably and injury free.

While a gear solution may well be indicated, as per everyone above, and per below in a sec—the main issue is you need to get the MCP (metacarpophalangeal) joint on your thumb around to the left of the rear edge of the grip and forward of it, so recoil drives the frame straight back into the fleshy part of the web of your hand, and not right into your MCP joint.

Smaller grips may well help that, true.

Duelist’s big meat hooks are placed properly, in that regard.

JMO.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    While a gear solution may well be indicated, as per everyone above, and per below in a sec—the main issue is you need to get the MCP (metacarpophalangeal) joint on your thumb around to the left of the rear edge of the grip and forward of it, so recoil drives the frame straight back into the fleshy part of the web of your hand, and not right into your MCP joint.

Smaller grips may well help that, true.

Duelist’s big meat hooks are placed properly, in that regard.

JMO.
    One thing Crow Hunter might try is placing the grip he has in his hand properly, regardless of whether he can operate the DA trigger or not, and shoot it a bit in single action. Shooting the same ammunition as before, with the hand strength he seems to have, with a proper grip on the gun, he should find out quickly whether or not pursuing a set of grips/stocks that allow him to hold it properly and run the DA trigger is worth his time. If he can shoot it without pain when gripping it properly in SA, then getting grips that fit to allow DA to work as well could be worth the effort. If not, I’m sure there’s someone with some stimulus money somewhere who’d be happy to help him move that K frame down the road.

Overall fit is more important than important than having a “cushion” wrapping around the frame. An oversized grip may “feel” right, but, if a shooter cannot get “enough” finger on the trigger, that good feeling is not correct.

As one earlier reply mentioned, yes, I wrecked my right hand, by holding N-Frames in a way that is much like your image shows you holding that K-Frame. When I switched to smaller K-Frames, I used grips that left the back strap metal exposed.

Of course, if is OK to use oversized grips, if one cocks the hammer, to bring the trigger within reach of the index finger, enabling an ergonomically correct hold.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Site Supporter
    I had a similar problem with an N frame and after some time with a wood rasp and sandpaper on the craptastic laminated wood grips they ended up being about the same thickness as Miculek wood grips. That 3” .44 went from terribly painful to shoot to quite comfortable with midrange loads.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

User Tag List