Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OC Gel/Foam

Site Supporter

OC Gel/Foam

Any agencies issuing OC gel or foam? If so, how is it working out for you? Any increased or decreased effectiveness? Is it used by all officers or restricted to specific assignments such as corrections? Any specific techniques?

Thanks and be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by jnc36rcpd View Post
    Any agencies issuing OC gel or foam? If so, how is it working out for you? Any increased or decreased effectiveness? Is it used by all officers or restricted to specific assignments such as corrections? Any specific techniques?

Thanks and be safe.
    With what I have seen. Effectiveness is (was) so so. Like any other. The bigger issue with Gel based OC is real Thugs (and some novice ones) know how to counter and will throw it back onto you. Seen it done 20 some years ago when it first came out. Unless they have changed the make up or since.

So for that reason I'd avoid it. as well as anything that shoots in a cone. Go with a streamer .
    Last edited by ECS686; 04-09-2021 at 06:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jnc36rcpd View Post
    Any agencies issuing OC gel or foam? If so, how is it working out for you? Any increased or decreased effectiveness? Is it used by all officers or restricted to specific assignments such as corrections? Any specific techniques? Thanks and be safe.
    Gel has a little less run, a little more stick, and less decon time for person or area than conventional stream. Seems to be as effective when applied properly. I've got gel canisters in my gear.

I don't care for foam.

Quote Originally Posted by ECS686 View Post
    With what I have seen. Effectiveness is (was) so so. Like any other. The bigger issue with Gel based OC is real Thugs (and some novice ones) know how to counter and will throw it back onto you. Seen it done 20 some years ago when it first came out. Unless they have changed the make up or since. So for that reason I'd avoid it. as well as anything that shoots in a cone. Go with a streamer .
    Gel and foam are different, are you maybe confusing the two?
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Gel has a little less run, a little more stick, and less decon time for person or area than conventional stream. Seems to be as effective when applied properly. I've got gel canisters in my gear.

I don't care for foam.

Gel and foam are different, are you maybe confusing the two?

After re reading I could have Maybe I need 2 cups before replying next time LOL

"The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Site Supporter
    The Sabre Red instructor resources posit that gel requires extremely specific targeting and that foam may be a better choice if you can't get the suspect directly in the eyes. Absent considerably more training (never a bad thing), I'm not confident our officers will be that accurate.

In my previous department, we started with fog before switching to cone which we used successfully for years. How much is cross contamination an issue with stream? I suspect that is a bigger concern to our administration than officer safety.

When I started with my department (Memphis PD) in 1996, we were issued a stream-type of spray. Crisis Intervention Team (CIT) officers were also issued a foam spray. We recently moved to a gel-type spray for general issue, including CIT. So far, effectiveness has been on par with the streamed spray. The biggest reason we changed, from my information, is that the gel will not aerosolize in a hospital setting like the stream will.

We switched to gel a couple years ago. I'm not sure why other than that the when the Sabre sales guy called the person at our department fell for the sales pitch.
    We honestly don't OC very many people. Other force options seem less...well...messy.

Pre-gel you could hose the spray inside of a confined space to make it uncomfortable enough to make a person leave and that is honestly what most cops used it for. I can remember a call early in my career when a guy decided to barricade himself inside a windowless motel bathroom and a little OC sprayed under the door by a senior officer convinced him to exit.

Some of our folks tried that last week to get a guy out of an attic with the gel spray and found out it didn't work, but rather just stuck to a wall.

I'm not super impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by fastreb View Post
    When I started with my department (Memphis PD) in 1996, we were issued a stream-type of spray. Crisis Intervention Team (CIT) officers were also issued a foam spray. We recently moved to a gel-type spray for general issue, including CIT. So far, effectiveness has been on par with the streamed spray. The biggest reason we changed, from my information, is that the gel will not aerosolize in a hospital setting like the stream will.

I've noted that gel is often far, far slower to take effect, and you completely lose all respiratory effect.

Gel as a general issue police tool is a bad idea.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Site Supporter
    What do you all think of the Fox Labs spray? Like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Fox-Labs-FX15...CMV8RVM8YVK3P4

User Tag List