Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RFI On Some Instagram Dudes "Goon Operational Group"

Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    I've trained with @KG556 twice (basic pistol & basic carbine) and wrote an AAR for the classes. I absolutely would train with him again.

However, he has yet to offer edged weapons or empty hand classes.
    Another option that's in your wider region. Cecil Burch is doing his class in Spokane on August 29-30.
    David S.

So it seems like the general consensus to this is "definitely don't train with this guys" and I'll pile on and agree with that. Here's the thing: even if these guys were the baddest most elite Tier 1 SMU killing machines in the world, there are PLENTY of other dudes with the exact same resumes who are teaching and not using names like "Goon Operations" and cringey branding. These days, when I take a training class, I think "would I want the certificate from this class to be introduced during a trial after a self-defense shooting?"

If the answer is no, I stay away.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    So I've kind of derailed your post. My apologies.

The things on that course syllabus look absolutely 100% solid, and far more applicable to real life than a class where you don a plate carrier and burn down dozens of magazines with a carbine.

It looks like FLDWRX is a separate entity than the "Goons" people? It's not uncommon for a local training company to host a fly-in class from another trainer. For example Firearms Academy of Seattle hosts Mas Ayoob about every year. Mas doesn't work for FAS, they just have an arrangement where he uses their facilities.

I'm unfamiliar with FLDWRX, but I did check out the page. I'm having another No Country For Old Men moment. The name of the website is "casually violent" and the tagline is "Gear from that knife-wielding, lockpicking, gun shooting, real-life Bodyguard Instagram fuck." I really don't want any of that projected up onto a big screen during my civil trail.

Maybe I'm just old? Maybe none of this really matters anymore?

I'm going to drop something from an IM conversation in here. They're my words so I think that's ok:

"I also think firearms training has become a sub-culture that borders on cultish sometimes, with people doing it primarily out of a sense of belonging. Sociologically, it has it's own forms of virtue signaling and in-grouping, that appear normal for someone who is surrounded by it, but to a "jury of your peers" it looks damn odd.

I trained a bunch at the now sadly defunct Oregon Firearms Academy. To a man, they were al the sort of dudes you'd expect to be coaching youth soccer, or volunteering with the Lion's Club. They could speak articulately about avoiding conflicts, judicious use of force and etc if they wound up giving expert testimony in my favor. I'm not sure videos of people in head to toe tactical attire and Punisher skulls doing mag dumps would work as well."

Maybe I'm just out of step? I'm going to go tell some kids to get off my lawn and yell at clouds....
    This....so much this. Anymore it just seems like dudes just got merch to sell and vids/ drops to post on the Insta......Realistic training....what's that?
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    So it seems like the general consensus to this is "definitely don't train with this guys" and I'll pile on and agree with that. Here's the thing: even if these guys were the baddest most elite Tier 1 SMU killing machines in the world, there are PLENTY of other dudes with the exact same resumes who are teaching and not using names like "Goon Operations" and cringey branding. These days, when I take a training class, I think "would I want the certificate from this class to be introduced during a trial after a self-defense shooting?"

If the answer is no, I stay away.
    Right? If your criminal or civil jury is composed of 60-year-old women who didn't try to get out of jury duty because they were bored sitting at home reading Our Daily Bread do you want "the casually violent knife-wielding, lockpicking, gun shooting, real-life Bodyguard Instagram fuck, or do you want Massad Ayoob, who looks like somebody's grandpa?

I hope @Mas would take that as the compliment I intend it to be.

The larger issue is what it means to be a "professional" and even larger than that, is what it means to be "masculine." There's a kind of juvenile, un-initiated male energy to all this that I find pretty repellant. Again, I'm old, and I was raised with the idea that the loud-mouthed braggart, that got off on being transgressive wasn't someone you took seriously. My dad and maternal grandfather were both quiet, unassuming, polite men who would back away from trouble until a line got crossed, then they would drop you in a heartbeat. There's no way of knowing how many bodies my grandfather stacked in the South Pacific, but I think it was quite a few. He never felt a need to go around showing off.

I just don't think if it hits the fan, these guys will come off looking very good to Joe or Suzy homemaker.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    "My dad and maternal grandfather were both quiet, unassuming, polite men who would back away from trouble until a line got crossed, then they would drop you in a heartbeat. There's no way of knowing how many bodies my grandfather stacked in the South Pacific, but I think it was quite a few. He never felt a need to go around showing off."

I had an uncle who served in the Navy with an outfit called SACO in China during WW2. That experience and training, coupled with literally opening/closing the Boys Club Boxing Gym had him saying-It is important to be a gentleman in public, to a fault, right up until the time it is not.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    "My dad and maternal grandfather were both quiet, unassuming, polite men who would back away from trouble until a line got crossed, then they would drop you in a heartbeat. There's no way of knowing how many bodies my grandfather stacked in the South Pacific, but I think it was quite a few. He never felt a need to go around showing off."

I had an uncle who served in the Navy with an outfit called SACO in China during WW2. That experience and training, coupled with literally opening/closing the Boys Club Boxing Gym had him saying-It is important to be a gentleman in public, to a fault, right up until the time it is not.
    I was unfamiliar with SACO so I looked it up. Intelligence gathering behind Japanese lines in China! Props to your Uncle! I hope you heard a couple stories but if he was like my Great Uncle in the 6th Armor he didn’t say much.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    I was unfamiliar with SACO so I looked it up. Intelligence gathering behind Japanese lines in China! Props to your Uncle! I hope you heard a couple stories but if he was like my Great Uncle in the 6th Armor he didn’t say much.
    If you can not click on this link, you have more self control than me:

How naked World War II sailors ended up riding Mongolian ponies in the Gobi Desert to shoot bazookas at the Japanese
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I have no self control That’s a great article!

I liked this quote “ Reporting directly to the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Miles was to contact Dai Li, who would help him set up the necessary stations. Almost as an afterthought, King told Miles to take every opportunity to cause trouble for the Japanese while he was at it.” Sure thing Boss!
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

If edged weapons training is what you need, our own @Paul Sharp of Shivworks and moderator at the Unarmed Combatives subforum is now coaching out of the Straight Blast Gym in Boise. He can get you squared away for sure. https://www.sbgidaho.com/ Agreed with everyone else that the "Goon Squad/FLDWRX" stuff looks like hot trash.

User Tag List