Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RFI On Some Instagram Dudes "Goon Operational Group"

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Somebody who has been known to post the names and addresses online of people who had internet tiffs with him, leave threatening voicemails, and otherwise act like a lunatic.
    Fair enough. I don’t need that drama either.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Hands View Post
    WOW, I’d love a PM by anyone who would like to tell me who this is so I avoid them.
    This was 15 years ago before the crazy was readily apparent to the casual observer. Now days, if you said "self, maybe I should go take a class with this guy?" You are no doubt going to Google and in about five minutes figure out you should keep your credit card in your wallet.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    Fair enough. I don’t need that drama either.
    It is not an exaggeration to say I am legitimately afraid of this person. There would probably be a thousand people ahead of me in the target deck, but while the personality is looney tunes, the skills are quite real. I've been having lots of No Country For Old Men moments, and fucking with "Todd" is not on my list of things to do.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I was thinking the same thing as what's been said.

The class I was interested in was "Mixed Skills with Fldwrx"

Fldwrx/Ryan's IG: https://www.instagram.com/fldwrx/

I've been looking for local edged weapons classes and was willing to put aside my judgemental outlook to take a class, but after the comments here, I'll pass.
    So I've kind of derailed your post. My apologies.

The things on that course syllabus look absolutely 100% solid, and far more applicable to real life than a class where you don a plate carrier and burn down dozens of magazines with a carbine.

It looks like FLDWRX is a separate entity than the "Goons" people? It's not uncommon for a local training company to host a fly-in class from another trainer. For example Firearms Academy of Seattle hosts Mas Ayoob about every year. Mas doesn't work for FAS, they just have an arrangement where he uses their facilities.

I'm unfamiliar with FLDWRX, but I did check out the page. I'm having another No Country For Old Men moment. The name of the website is "casually violent" and the tagline is "Gear from that knife-wielding, lockpicking, gun shooting, real-life Bodyguard Instagram fuck." I really don't want any of that projected up onto a big screen during my civil trail.

Maybe I'm just old? Maybe none of this really matters anymore?

I'm going to drop something from an IM conversation in here. They're my words so I think that's ok:

"I also think firearms training has become a sub-culture that borders on cultish sometimes, with people doing it primarily out of a sense of belonging. Sociologically, it has it's own forms of virtue signaling and in-grouping, that appear normal for someone who is surrounded by it, but to a "jury of your peers" it looks damn odd.

I trained a bunch at the now sadly defunct Oregon Firearms Academy. To a man, they were al the sort of dudes you'd expect to be coaching youth soccer, or volunteering with the Lion's Club. They could speak articulately about avoiding conflicts, judicious use of force and etc if they wound up giving expert testimony in my favor. I'm not sure videos of people in head to toe tactical attire and Punisher skulls doing mag dumps would work as well."

Maybe I'm just out of step? I'm going to go tell some kids to get off my lawn and yell at clouds....

I assume you've considered Combat Absolute as a local alternative.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    I assume you've considered Combat Absolute as a local alternative.
    I've trained with @KG556 twice (basic pistol & basic carbine) and wrote an AAR for the classes. I absolutely would train with him again.

However, he has yet to offer edged weapons or empty hand classes.
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

I've trained with @KG556 twice (basic pistol & basic carbine) and wrote an AAR for the classes. I absolutely would train with him again.

However, he has yet to offer edged weapons or empty hand classes.
    Check PM.
    David S.

Thanks for the feedback. I was thinking the same thing as what's been said.

The class I was interested in was "Mixed Skills with Fldwrx"

Fldwrx/Ryan's IG: https://www.instagram.com/fldwrx/

I've been looking for local edged weapons classes and was willing to put aside my judgemental outlook to take a class, but after the comments here, I'll pass.
    Have you looked into Bill Rapier? He’s based out of Idaho and does a lot of blade/combative work. His courses are definitely worth your time and $.

https://www.amtacshooting.com/upcoming-courses/

Found these guys on suggested to me on Instagram. They are a local group but I get the "instagram fab trainer" vibe from them.
    Turns out the goons have a youtube page as well. I was going to paste a link, but on second thought I don't want to help them get more views. Looks very much like some dudes trying to be IG influencers and T shirt merchants.

Quote Originally Posted by Kram View Post
    Have you looked into Bill Rapier? He’s based out of Idaho and does a lot of blade/combative work. His courses are definitely worth your time and $.

https://www.amtacshooting.com/upcoming-courses/
    Great idea, Bill Rapier is a top notch instructor. I'd also suggest Jay attends EWO taught by @SouthNarc. Travel to a EWO class if necessary, it's well worth it. I'll note Bill and Craig have some different approaches, but you'll learn from both of them. Greg Ellefritz (Active Response Training ) also teaches defensive knife skills, but I haven't attended any of his classes, and he seems to be sticking to the Ohio area lately.

If one happened to search YouTube for Jetfire’s Five Firearm Instructors to Avoid I suspect Lester’s instructor is on it.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

User Tag List