Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RFI On Some Instagram Dudes "Goon Operational Group"

RFI On Some Instagram Dudes "Goon Operational Group"

Found these guys on suggested to me on Instagram. They are a local group but I get the "instagram fab trainer" vibe from them.

Their website is more about soft good sales than training and their FAQ is entirely about their clothes.

Thoughts? Would you spend your money/ammo on one of their classes?

https://goonoperationalgroup.com/
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

I wouldn’t want that name on my training resume. Also, too many skulls in the merch. Bad vibe all around.

No go.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I wouldn’t want that name on my training resume. Also, too many skulls in the merch. Bad vibe all around.

No go.

Okie John
    This.

I've attended classes taught by instructors who are sober, rational people who conduct themselves like adults, and would reflect well on me if it came down to it.

With one exception.

I once attended a class with an internet-famous personality in the mid-aughties, after failing to do my due diligence. By lunchtime I was having serious doubts, and by the end of the day knew I'd made a mistake.

After thinking it over for a few weeks, I asked to be removed from his e-mail list, (which was INCESSANT) and expressed concerns that some of the strategies he espoused, such as making sure there was only "one side of the story" could be construed very poorly, as could his continuous references to the skin color of potential assailants.

Pretty much as I expected, I received an expletive laden response calling questioning my sexual orientation. I still have a couple hard copies of that email.

"Why yes counselor, I had those same concerns about that individual. In fact when I raised my concerns, here's how he responded. I really wish I'd known that about him before I took the class. His instructional style had no bearing on my decision to smoke the decedent."

So there's that.

That trainer is still active, and pretty high on my list of "Firearms Trainers Most Likely To Die In A Standoff With The Police."
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

No.

Edit: I got a ‘post too short’ warning, so I revise my answer as per below:

Heck no.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Kind of looks like a cross-fit group gone tactical to me.

I’d be checking on the instructors backgrounds and what they are exactly teaching before spending any money.

The fact that the website has more t-shirts for sale than any instructor cVs is almost as big of a red flag to me as everyone decked out in “operator gear” and Team Wendy helmets.

And what’s up with the goat skull?
    Last edited by Suvorov; 04-03-2021 at 06:03 PM.

Thanks for the feedback. I was thinking the same thing as what's been said.

The class I was interested in was "Mixed Skills with Fldwrx"

MIXED SKILLS W/ FLDWRX

For the last two decades, Ryan Atkinson has provided security services for celebrities in over 50 countries and in every state in the USA. Planning and executing planned events with massive crowds has many challenges. Keeping public figures out of danger worldwide while following local legal guidelines requires a resourceful mind and the ability to adapt to new environments.

Since Covid restrictions were implemented worldwide, the entertainment business has taken one of the biggest hits. While we wait for large events to resume, Ryan is offering an integrated soft skills course to the public. Taking experiences from the road and applying those lessons to our own personal security.

SOME THINGS YOU’LL LEARN:

-non-permissive environment protocols

-common event screening methods with a up close look at how security companies search the public and the flaws that exist today

-anti-abduction techniques with tools and restraints available to everyone

-introduction to edged weapon design and targeting on soft tissue

-situational awareness and deconstructing environments

-digital advances

The goal of the course is to expose students to topics that are common but not commonly discussed.
    Fldwrx/Ryan's IG: https://www.instagram.com/fldwrx/

I've been looking for local edged weapons classes and was willing to put aside my judgemental outlook to take a class, but after the comments here, I'll pass.
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I was thinking the same thing as what's been said.

The class I was interested in was "Mixed Skills with Fldwrx"

Fldwrx/Ryan's IG: https://www.instagram.com/fldwrx/

I've been looking for local edged weapons classes and was willing to put aside my judgemental outlook to take a class, but after the comments here, I'll pass.

It sounds like it could potentially be a great course. Is it instructed by an in house instructor or is this simply a “shooting club” that is hosting him? Maybe the innerwebs has info on the instructor?

As I have done Zuck the job of deplatforming myself from the FB world I’m not able to check the link.

They may be a bunch of goofballs but if they regularly host good instructors they may prove useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    This.

I've attended classes taught by instructors who are sober, rational people who conduct themselves like adults, and would reflect well on me if it came down to it.

With one exception.

I once attended a class with an internet-famous personality in the mid-aughties, after failing to do my due diligence. By lunchtime I was having serious doubts, and by the end of the day knew I'd made a mistake.

After thinking it over for a few weeks, I asked to be removed from his e-mail list, (which was INCESSANT) and expressed concerns that some of the strategies he espoused, such as making sure there was only "one side of the story" could be construed very poorly, as could his continuous references to the skin color of potential assailants.

Pretty much as I expected, I received an expletive laden response calling questioning my sexual orientation. I still have a couple hard copies of that email.

"Why yes counselor, I had those same concerns about that individual. In fact when I raised my concerns, here's how he responded. I really wish I'd known that about him before I took the class. His instructional style had no bearing on my decision to smoke the decedent."

So there's that.

That trainer is still active, and pretty high on my list of "Firearms Trainers Most Likely To Die In A Standoff With The Police."
    Who was this?

Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    Who was this?
    Somebody who has been known to post the names and addresses online of people who had internet tiffs with him, leave threatening voicemails, and otherwise act like a lunatic.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Somebody who has been known to post the names and addresses online of people who had internet tiffs with him, leave threatening voicemails, and otherwise act like a lunatic.

WOW, I’d love a PM by anyone who would like to tell me who this is so I avoid them.

User Tag List