Thread: Helicopter Door Gunners in Vietnam - The Shotgun Riders | US Army Documentary |

Helicopter Door Gunners in Vietnam - The Shotgun Riders | US Army Documentary |

History nerds and veterans may appreciate this video about helicopter door gunners in Vietnam. Produced by the army in 1967.

I was surprised by the length of those bursts from the M60s. I can't claim any expertise with a machinegun, but I recall being instructed to keep the bursts shorter, maybe 6-10 rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    I was surprised by the length of those bursts from the M60s. I can't claim any expertise with a machinegun, but I recall being instructed to keep the bursts shorter, maybe 6-10 rounds.
    Cooling and accuracy are more affected in the ground role than when flying.

ETA: See the same long bursts here, 50 years after Vietnam. USMC still uses the Huey in a ground attack role. First video is rockets, minigun and M3 Browning, 2nd video is M3 Browning and an M240.

Last edited by TGS; 04-01-2021 at 11:19 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Cooling and accuracy are more affected in the ground role than when flying.

ETA: See the same long bursts here, 50 years after Vietnam. USMC still uses the Huey in a ground attack role. First video is rockets, minigun and M3 Browning, 2nd video is M3 Browning and an M240.
    I hadn't considered the difference in airflow and temperature when flying, but it makes sense.

The videos of current USMC air to ground operations are interesting. I had no idea the Corps was still using the Huey. When I was active I saw a ton of CH46s and CH53s, but very few Hueys, and I never got to fly in one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    I hadn't considered the difference in airflow and temperature when flying, but it makes sense.

The videos of current USMC air to ground operations are interesting. I had no idea the Corps was still using the Huey. When I was active I saw a ton of CH46s and CH53s, but very few Hueys, and I never got to fly in one.
    Yeah, there's not many of them. The USMC uses them in a different role than the Army used the Huey or currently uses the Blackhawk. If I recall correctly, there's only 4 in a MEU compared to 12 medium lift platforms and they're used in the attack/observation and light utility role and unable to carry a full rifle squad; so outside of CAS runs or helo-casting recon teams into the water, you probably wouldn't see them, unlike the medium and heavy lift platforms.

It's kind of neat how they pair up with Cobras to form a composite attack team. The attack runs I saw demonstrated had the Huey crabs sideways into the target firing the 50, do a nose-dive on the target firing rockets, then crab away from the target suppressing it with the minigun.

I've similarly never gotten a ride in one. Been in Bell 206 Jet Rangers, 46s, 53s, and UH60s. Never the Huey, though.

@TOTS
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List