Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need some cordless weed eater suggestions please

I need a new trim mower. We have a lot of trees that I can't get under with the Kubota with roll bar. Thinking about a self propelled EGO. Leaning toward electric over gas.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Cordless weed-eater:

Name:  Goat.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  36.5 KB
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Cordless weed-eater:

Name:  Goat.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  36.5 KB

I’m sure other places have them too but there’s people who’ll rent you a herd of Goats for weed control. AZ DOT uses them around the convergence of the 101 and 202 in the fenced areas.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Necro threading.

My three DeWalt 40V batteries won't take a charge.

I use my string trimmer and blower fairly hard, so I prefer the semi-pro over the consumer grade gear. I was satisfied with the 40v series.

Since I have to change eco systems anyway, is it worth looking outside of DeWalt 60v?
    David S.

I've had a Ryobi 40v string trimmer for about 4 years, for use on a corner lot about the same size as the OP. If I'm just trimming along the borders, and spots I can't hit with the riding mower, a 4Ah battery is plenty. However, I use it as an edger, I go through 2 batteries, and most of a third.

I'm pretty happy with it, I just wish it had a wheel use as an edger. Ryobi had a version like that, but the design was bad, and the one I had wrapped out after just a few uses. Ryobi replaced it under warranty, and that one died too, and they replaced it with the current version, that I've been using for the last several years.

I also have a Ryobi 40v leaf blower, hedge and hedge trimmer.

My point is, if you like it, have the chargers, and if you have any other 40v Ryobi tools, I'd suggest just getting a new battery.

I forgot to mention that Dewalt 40v batteries were discontinued a few years ago, which is why I’m not just replacing them.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    Necro threading.

My three DeWalt 40V batteries won't take a charge.

I use my string trimmer and blower fairly hard, so I prefer the semi-pro over the consumer grade gear. I was satisfied with the 40v series.

Since I have to change eco systems anyway, is it worth looking outside of DeWalt 60v?
    The Milwaukee M18 trimmer will wear you out. I think I did half an acre of heavy wild grass on a 6.0 before I wore out 😁. Super easy to wind the new line into as well. And the tree saw attachment for this rocks. I’ve used the hell out of mine, love it.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    The Milwaukee M18 trimmer will wear you out. I think I did half an acre of heavy wild grass on a 6.0 before I wore out 😁. Super easy to wind the new line into as well. And the tree saw attachment for this rocks. I’ve used the hell out of mine, love it.
    The DeWalt 20V version is a pain to load new line on. Otherwise works extremely well. I wish I had gone red tbh but I'm too invested in yellow to switch now.

Quote Originally Posted by MickAK View Post
    The DeWalt 20V version is a pain to load new line on. Otherwise works extremely well. I wish I had gone red tbh but I'm too invested in yellow to switch now.
    I’ve seen a bunch of folks recommend replacing the factory head with the Echo Speed Feed. . It appears to be super easy to reload.

I went ahead and picked up a DeWalt 60v trimmer/blower combo, along with the above head.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    I’ve seen a bunch of folks recommend replacing the factory head with the Echo Speed Feed. . It appears to be super easy to reload.

I went ahead and picked up a DeWalt 60v trimmer/blower combo, along with the above head.
    I've had the 60V trimmer and blower for several years and been happy with both. I'd suggest ordering the larger guard, going from this to this. (Double check if that's the right part for your model though, there have been at least a couple different FlexVolt trimmers.)

You might also give the OEM head a try first, if you can potentially still return the Speed Feed. IIRC DeWalt changed the head design, so some of the early complaints don't apply to the current head, even on the same model of trimmer.

User Tag List